collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Weird experiences with other generations as a kid  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Weird experiences with other generations as a kid
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2024, 04:09:12 PM »
This probably isn't what you were going for, but I'm going to share it anyway.  For ages, I thought there was a Daddy, Mommy and Baby Gusty set.  I have a very vague memory of seeing at the store and pointing it out to my mom.  My mom remembers me asking for the Daddy Gusty set too.  As an adult I found out there's no such thing as a Daddy Gusty.  The closet I can figure out, I must have seen the Apple Delight Family and thought they were a Gusty family.

Ponyfan

Italian Gusty is Gustavo, so that's close enough right?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2024, 06:50:16 PM »
I also grew up with G1 ponies. However, I once spotted G3 ponies in Zellars and added them into my collection. I really had my heart set on just collecting G1. That did not happen. Not that I don't like G3 or G4, I still have them. I'm just more interested in my G1s.

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2024, 10:02:57 PM »
I grew up with G3 and I don’t remember how exactly I stumbled onto G1 ponies, but I actually didn’t like them at first! :lol: I really don’t know WHY since they aren’t all that different from G3 in hindsight, but I guess they were just different enough that it seemed wrong to me. Then I stumbled onto the G1 baby ponies and Aikarin’s custom ponies and got converted pretty quick. :P I also remember finding the G1 cartoons at Toys r Us on DVD and loving the cartoons! Even though the animation was a lil janky, I remember being excited by the more intense story lines compared to G3.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2024, 04:43:08 AM »
This probably isn't what you were going for, but I'm going to share it anyway.  For ages, I thought there was a Daddy, Mommy and Baby Gusty set.  I have a very vague memory of seeing at the store and pointing it out to my mom.  My mom remembers me asking for the Daddy Gusty set too.  As an adult I found out there's no such thing as a Daddy Gusty.  The closet I can figure out, I must have seen the Apple Delight Family and thought they were a Gusty family.

Ponyfan
Completing Gusty's family is why I'm seeking a Daddy Maple. He'd make a perfect hubby for Gusty
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2024, 02:23:05 PM »
I was born in 1992, so I was just the right age when G2 launched. I grew up with the toys, magazines & computer game. My best friend at the time had two G1 videos that her parents had bought second-hand, & I often borrowed them from her. The first time we saw a completely different world with new characters, we were somewhat confused but absolutely loved it. We were captivated by the abundance of unicorns & pegasus ponies, & wondered why G2 had so few of them in comparison. The videos began with a list of other episode titles; this always agonized us as we wanted to see them all so badly. I remember being particularly desperate to see 'The Quest of the Princess Ponies.'
I still have some of my old childhood drawings, & they're a mixture of G1 & G2 styles & characters. I always considered them to be completely different properties.
Another friend of mine had a My Little Pony Tales annual, which added further confusion. Why were these characters walking on two legs & behaving like humans? Where was all the magic & wonder?  :silly:
I didn't know about the existence of G1 toys until a few years later, thanks to the internet. I don't remember seeing any at car boot sales or in charity shops as a child, which seems a little odd to me. To this day, I've only ever come across one G1 'in the wild.' (It was Baby Rainribbon & I snapped her up instantly!) ;)
G3 launched when I was ten & I fell in love all over again, but had to lust over all the new ponies from afar as I was considered 'too old' by that point. :pout:
Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2024, 09:24:11 AM »
I grew up with G3, but I had a G1 Starglow that originally belonged to my older sister. I always assumed she was a knock off because she looked so different from the rest of my ponies! I was thrilled to discover she was a real My Little Pony when I first began collecting.

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2024, 05:24:08 AM »
I grew up with G2. My cousin who is about 7 years older than I am grew up with G1. I thought the G1 looking so clunky and goofy!
After watching MLP the Movie I replaced the characters with G2 ones when playing (as far as possible). Twinkle Star was my stand in Flutter pony.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2024, 07:01:39 AM »
I started out with G1 back in the 80's so there was no other generation. The only weird experience was seeing the Remco fakie knock off ponies start showing up in stores for the first time.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal