collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New 35th Anniversary Collector Ponies Spotted! Pics!  (Read 142259 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: New 35th Anniversary Collector Ponies Spotted! Pics!
« Reply #1110 on: March 27, 2018, 08:45:31 AM »
Even though I hinted to my family that these would make a good birthday present, I sadly didn't get any.  Possibly they were sold out if they tried to find them.  So I guess I am back to trying to get a set on my own.  ;)  Right now I only have Blossom.  Fortunately I work within walking distance of a Target.

BTW, I found a cute video that compares the 80s Collector ponies to the 35th anniversary Collector ponies, in case anyone would like to see the differences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiuFiQNsYmQ

It even has a little skit based off a G1 pony's backcard . . . can you guess the pony?  ;)

Awww - my family is pretty clueless too, haha   I'm sorry you didn't get any ponies-  happy birthday though!

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 27, 2018, 10:16:37 AM »

BTW, I found a cute video that compares the 80s Collector ponies to the 35th anniversary Collector ponies, in case anyone would like to see the differences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiuFiQNsYmQ

It even has a little skit based off a G1 pony's backcard . . . can you guess the pony?  ;)

That was pretty cool. Last month when I looked, I couldn't find a video that compared all 6. Now all I need is a video that also compares the 25th anniversary ponies to the new ones, as those are the ones that I have, though I might just resort to looking up 25th vs original.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 27, 2018, 07:51:47 PM »
This post makes me upset because I want rainbow ponies so bad and I don't know when I'll get them if at all if the US doesn't. haha. THE WAIT IS TORTURE...

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Carolina-chan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy 'Stache blog
« Reply #1113 on: March 29, 2018, 01:54:29 AM »
I just found another site that sells Rainbow ponies, based in Denmark.
They cost quite a bit more 23,39€, but the five pack costs less than in CDON's site, making it 15,60€ per pony with shipping price included.
https://www.proshop.fi/?s=retro+pony

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #1114 on: March 29, 2018, 07:31:49 AM »
Went back to Target and this time they had the Collector ponies.  :)   Someone had already bought Blossom, but she's actually the one Bridge Direct pony I had already, so it worked out perfectly!   Also there were two Blue Belles, so I wasn't totally clearing out the ponies, lol.

They seem to be selling well (in Seattle, at least), which is awesome.

I've been thinking about the Rainbow pony gift set with its five ponies (lol) and thinking maybe, having limited space, they left out Sunlight because she is blue-ish and they already had a blue pony (Moonstone).  Still, it's a bit odd.  You'd think they'd go for a giftpack of four or even three.  On the other hand, if someone wants to display both kinds of box (singles as well as "set") then I guess the obvious solution would be to get the gift pack + single Sunlight.

The art behind the ponies in the giftpack is from a G1 poster, whose origins I can't quite remember.  Very pretty poster featuring the Year 2 'regular' ponies, sea ponies, and Rainbow ponies.  (You can sort of see Sprinkles and Medley frolicking back there, along with Starshine.)  I wonder if the singles have the same art?  Or perhaps art from the actual Rainbow pony card.

Edit:  BTW, the Target I was at was having a "buy $50 worth of toys, get $10 off" deal.  Don't know if that is for all Targets.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 07:38:28 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 29, 2018, 07:44:31 AM »
The art behind the ponies in the giftpack is from a G1 poster, whose origins I can't quite remember.  Very pretty poster featuring the Year 2 'regular' ponies, sea ponies, and Rainbow ponies.  (You can sort of see Sprinkles and Medley frolicking back there, along with Starshine.)  I wonder if the singles have the same art?  Or perhaps art from the actual Rainbow pony card.
I think the art is from the year two catalogue? It was a leaflet that had the art on the front and on the back had all the ponies, pony wear, and playsets that were to be released that year. Pretty sure the art on the left hand side was made into a fan club poster at one point. I think the wiki has info on it, but I'm not sure.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #1116 on: March 29, 2018, 07:46:37 AM »
OOOOOH I want that set to bad! And then Sunlight as a single! I hope she doesn't feel too left out haha.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1117 on: March 29, 2018, 09:32:21 AM »
Sunlight always seemed disconnected from the whole set to me as a child too. I don't really know why. I think maybe she appeared in the comics less. I wonder if that's why...hard to know.

I would like to see European art work on the Rainbow boxes but I guess that's probably unlikely. My sister opened her Cotton Candy and we were looking at the box and design and realised that the box art basically reverses all of the collector ponies from the insert, so they're not just duplicating the art but playing around with it.

I also thought the backdrop image looked like an insert image. But I've seen it on retro stuff as well.

I haven't seen any Rainbows here yet, but will be hunting around for them once we get into April proper. I will probably buy singles because they are easier to store, but am not sure yet who I am getting other than Windy. My sister is going to France and Belgium in a few weeks with her partner's family so she's hoping she might find a couple there if they haven't appeared here by then.

I have to say now I've seen a couple of the collector ponies in person I think they're really well done. Naynie is absolutely in love with her Cotton Candy - she said it was better than she imagined it would be in terms of quality and much nicer than the 25th anniversary, and I agree with her. I find it odd how the bows are stitched onto a band around the tail though. Modern kids can't tie ribbons...?

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 29, 2018, 10:27:33 AM »
I'm kind of tempted to get Sunlight cuz she'll undoubtedly be in slightly higher demand due to not being in the 5-pack, but all I want is loose Moonstone.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #1119 on: March 29, 2018, 10:32:11 AM »
Maybe they wanted the ribbons tied while the ponies were in the box, for presentation reasons?  If so I imagine it would be easier to have perfectly formed "premade" ribbons to slip on rather than making the factory workers individually tie them.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 29, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »
Maybe they wanted the ribbons tied while the ponies were in the box, for presentation reasons?  If so I imagine it would be easier to have perfectly formed "premade" ribbons to slip on rather than making the factory workers individually tie them.

That makes sense.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 30, 2018, 04:14:38 PM »
I just found another site that sells Rainbow ponies, based in Denmark.
They cost quite a bit more 23,39€, but the five pack costs less than in CDON's site, making it 15,60€ per pony with shipping price included.
https://www.proshop.fi/?s=retro+pony

They are so pretty but ouch- I hope they come to the US with slightly lower prices

Offline Carolina-chan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy 'Stache blog
« Reply #1122 on: March 31, 2018, 03:19:07 AM »
They are so pretty, but ouch- I hope they come to the US with slightly lower prices
There's no doubt they cost less. Here's price comparison between Target ($19.99) and Prisma (35,95€)
Also G4 singles cost around 7€-10€ ($8.65-$12.50) here in Finland.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 11:58:35 AM by Carolina-chan »

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 31, 2018, 03:32:07 AM »
I don't want to be rude but I know what I am about to say will sound kinda fear monger-y...

I just find it crazy to charge more than 10€ for a G1 pony and I'm afraid this will kill the retro line in any country that isn't the US.

G4s are not cheap but they are modern and kids know them. Also you might get fashions or gimmicks along with the pony for that cost.
It looks like a bad deal for parents that aren't caught up in nostalgia.

And I still don't know if any German store will carry these. Any infos on that?
I was even checking EMP as they carry Funkos and a small array of retro 80s merch. But no answer.

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 31, 2018, 12:14:43 PM »
I got all the Rainbow ones today!

Will wrote a full review on my collection topic (pony brag arena) :happy:

Blog / Facebook Page

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal