collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What kind of meal do you make for supper on a regular every day basis?

Home cooked meal (everything is made from scratch and all food groups are included)
25 (42.4%)
Something easy from a box (like hamburger helper.)
8 (13.6%)
Anything that is microwaveable...
2 (3.4%)
Drive though, Carry Out or Delivery.
2 (3.4%)
Someone else makes supper for me. :)
10 (16.9%)
Other... (please specify)
12 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: What do you make for supper?  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What do you make for supper?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2012, 03:23:50 PM »
I had to answer "other" because we don't have a set eating plan at ALL.  Part of this has to do with the fact that I can bake up a storm but am just now (after 5 years of being married, and almost 10 being a "grown up") starting to figure out how to cook.  The other parts of it are that I'm a vegetarian that doesn't really like vegetables that much and my husband isn't, and that he works a rotating shift schedule, so sometimes my dinner time is his breakfast time and that kind of thing.

I'm trying to change this for the healthier and better, but as it is right now, we probably eat out (lumping together fast food with actual sit-down restaurants here, because our dining locations change pretty frequently) 50% of the time.  What we don't eat out is probably 20% prepare-it-from-a-box (granted, I usually add a lot of stuff that isn't called for to whatever I'm making, so it's about half "home made" by the time I'm done), 15% frozen-type things, 5% completely home made food, and the other 10% of the time, we're absolutely terrible and just snack for our "meals."

Like I said, I know that this is a horrible way for us to be living, and I'm actually working on my cooking skills pretty hard trying to get things in a healthier balance.  I never thought I'd say this, but it kind of helps in the learning to cook department that I'm unemployed right now, because there is none of the getting home at 5 already tired from work and needing to face a kitchen to feed a hungry family.  When I start feeling my tummy rumble, I ask my husband (if he's home) if he's getting hungry, we gauge the "severity" of our hunger and I decide what to make (or try to make) from there. 

*Edit to add* I should probably add that I'm a terribly picky eater, too.  On top of being a "super taster" (I've got about 3x more taste buds than the average person and can literally pick apart flavors in everything that I eat - it can get annoying), I'm also very particular about the consistency of the foods I eat.  Take for example, I love oats.  I love them dry, I love them in cookies, but I can't force myself to swallow the consistency of oatmeal.  Things like that.  My consistency-aversion limits a lot of what I eat.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:35:05 PM by Katika »

Lavender_Lace

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2012, 11:19:42 AM »
We're vegetarian and our food budget is kind of small for our family size so I plan out everything and make probably 95% of our meals from scratch.  I'll usually  make more for dinner and then we'll have leftovers for lunch the next day.  That and I like to avoid processed foods, additives, etc. and it's easier to control what goes into your food if you make it all yourself.  When we do get take out, it's usually pizza or some type of ethnic cuisine (Indian, Thai, Ethiopian, Japanese).  For quick stuff, usually some kind of simple pasta dish or bean tacos.

Offline prettypony55

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2012, 10:15:11 PM »
My husband and I usually eat out 2-3 times a week, This includes Dunkin donuts on the weekends. We eat a lot of fresh fish, especially salmon. We have been buying organic meats lately. We have found it tastes so much better. Its more expensive but I try to buy it from our local grocery store when its close to expire. They put in on drastic sale, so I usually stock up. This is why we a huge freezer.  We eat a lot of fresh veggies. I have 12-13 tomatoe plants, a bunch of lettuce, 10 or so various pepper plants, basil, parsley.

We have been trying to eat better, we make our owm pizza and wings now too. We have been eating Dreamfeilds pastas, and the Rotini Garden pastas. I love, love, love chicken burgers on wheat buns with swiss chesse!! It is so good!!!!
But the sweets kill me!!! I love oreos, muffins fresh from the grocery store. But I guess it all evens out in the end. We got these hotdogs that are all antural and uncured. They are Applegate brand. The turkey ones are gross though, which really surprised us and disappointed us.

Offline Rainbow Revolver

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • An actual dog!!
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 12:09:19 AM »
We make our food everynight. Most of the time it's meat-free since I'm a vegetarian and my mother wants my dad to eat healthier. We make really interesting dishes so my dad doesn't notice that it's meatless. ;3

3DS Friend Code: 0619-4155-8870

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 06:02:35 AM »
A little bit OT, but RainbowRevolver - have you ever used Morning Star's "ground meatless" crumbles?  I use it in a lot of things, and my mom even made chili with it when I was still living at home.  Apparently, it's pretty accurate in taste and texture (I wouldn't know, I haven't eaten meat in 13 years, and forgot what it's like, lol) that it fooled my pretty hard-core meat-eating dad into thinking I was eating meat the first time he ate it. 

Offline Rainbow Revolver

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • An actual dog!!
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 01:06:49 AM »
A little bit OT, but RainbowRevolver - have you ever used Morning Star's "ground meatless" crumbles?  I use it in a lot of things, and my mom even made chili with it when I was still living at home.  Apparently, it's pretty accurate in taste and texture (I wouldn't know, I haven't eaten meat in 13 years, and forgot what it's like, lol) that it fooled my pretty hard-core meat-eating dad into thinking I was eating meat the first time he ate it.
(whoops I need to be better at replying to things)
I use them a lot and had my hardcore, meat loving dad tell me the food was the best he's had (doesn't know it isn't meat, hehe). My mom made some stuffed bell peppers a few weeks ago with the crumbles, rice, onion, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Yum!

3DS Friend Code: 0619-4155-8870

lose

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 01:20:03 AM »
i pretty much live on sirfrys they are super easy to make (rice cookers are awesome) takes around 15 and there are so many different sauces and they are pretty healthy!

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 03:33:21 AM »
Latley most of what we've been eating is salad. I think partly due to the weather and partly as my dad is redoing the kitchen so he's also sorting out dinner so its whatever he cobbles together.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 03:41:05 AM »
Nothing is better than a home cooked meal made with love!
Avvie By Watercolors

Offline Pangel

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Ooo banana...
    • View Profile
    • Panda Patch
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 08:17:08 AM »
I get a lot of satisfaction from making something myself, even if it's just something basic like soup or stew. So I make nearly every meal from scratch, though sometimes we have a 'naughty day' and will order a pizza D:

We don't eat out very often, as my OH resents paying a high price for something I could have made myself, haha. And most of the time, he's right! XD Though I am not skilled at sushi... Need to learn how to do that!
Whole toy collection for sale! Selling 100's of items! G1 My Little Ponies, G1 Littlest Pet Shops, Sylvanian Families - EVERYTHING MUST GO!visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Panda Patch eBay store <- Click here! ;)

Offline cyanide

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also known as " Epic rainbow crafts "
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 04:37:26 PM »
i cook alot of thai foods and other very spicy stuff. anything hot really ^^ , in other words alot of fresh vegetables ( broccoli,onion,paprica,chilifruits, and that white type of broccoli wich i never remember the name of in english -.-), with seafood or chicken / beef. i also love cooking fresh fish , like salmon in the owen with just some olive oil sprinkled over it with lemon slices, salt and some pepper, super delicious and quite simple ^^.

I love cooking and prefer that to "premade food" or half-fabrics and such =), but then i also have a passion in cooking, so getting motivated is easy. ofcourse some days its just easier to order something froma resturant, usually salads then
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:54:42 PM by cyanide »
Plushie crafter - check out my stuff on deviantart :) : http://epicrainbowcrafts.deviantart.com/

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2012, 06:38:39 PM »
I usually make home-cooked meals.  But we do have four kids, and on the evenings that we are pinched for time (such as if the girls have dance class, or I or my husband have meetings) then I have my go-to recipes that take 30 minutes or less to make.

We'll go out to eat about twice a month (so every other Saturday).  Sundays we usually eat with my parents, or invite friends over for dinner.  Where we live it's pretty mild weather, so we use our grill year-round (which I LOVE!!).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2012, 07:50:49 PM »
The majority of what I cook is mainly from scratch. But I do buy some already prepared or mostly prepared foods and doctor those up.

My husband can't cook beyond following simple instructions on a box (or hamburgers..lol) so I'm left to do the cooking.
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

gargoylekitty

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 02:08:00 AM »
Vegan who's worked food service jobs enough to have little trust of stuff I haven't made myself, so most my meals are homemade. Each lots of Chinese, Korean, and Japanese-style cooking(started cooking from scratch more than ever while in China, so most my staples come from that). Tonight was comfort foods, cong you bing and 'whatever's in the fridge' stir fry(turned out to be bok choy, bella and enoki mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, tofu, garlic, red onion, and scallions) w/ rice.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:19:30 AM by gargoylekitty »

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 05:44:56 PM »
We always eat home-cooked meals, both due to the price of fast-food, and our gluten-free diet. We usually eat salads, accompanied with the occasional gluten-free pizza or porkchop.
Mimic on MLPTP

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal