collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice on dealing with a restoration deal not gone well?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Bluebook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
Not naming names because this really isn't that important, but it's one of those things that's been kind of sitting unresolved for a good long time now and I wanted some advice on the situation.

Long story short, I contracted with a trader who some people here may know, we live in the same state and go to a lot of the same shows (pre-covid). I'd given them good business in the past, and so I hired them to do a little restoration on two G1s and a G3, in pretty bait condition (they were dollar store rescues like so much of my collection). Because of the condition I wasn't expecting much, but re-hairing was definitely on the list. I gave them money, their prices were reasonable, and we loosely agreed it'd be done in a few months. That was back in 2019... in the before times.

Some delays occurred, needless to say, but this is a hobby so delays of some time are not unreasonable, I thought. They'd be done by Christmas (along with every other human conflict in recent memory  -_-).

Of course 2020 happened, and there was no news but we all had bigger fish to fry. I though "well, surely those ponies are getting repaired in quarantine, what else is there to do? No need to worry.". I did reach out to them in winter 2020 when I realized they were a vendor at a online con I was enjoying, and they showed me pictures of the ponies, in a disassembled state. Of course the state of the world precluded any kind of real resolution, but I was glad for the response... it was hard to get in touch with this person as they weren't especially active on social media, or at least the social media I'm on (Facebook & Discord). Admittedly, I'm not super active either.

I also reached out in late 2021, thinking perhaps we'd be able to meet up at a winter con that was happening then, and work something out. I even offered to send someone with money to pick up the ponies, in whatever state they were in, in case I could not come. I received no response, and decided not to go to the con for other reasons.

I am going to be attending a con I know they'll be at this summer... what do you guys think I should do? Should I try talking with them in person and trying to work something out? If they still have the ponies, I'd be happy with them just being returned. I know logically at this point I should probably just give it up but I'm as stubborn as Applejack, and just as silly. It's also just messy unfinished business at this point, and I think it'd be good to settle it at some point given that we're likely to be at the same cons (as long as those cons run). Any advice from fellow collectors that have had to deal with this sort of thing before? 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 08:52:05 PM by Bluebook »

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on dealing with a restoration deal not gone well?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 08:47:04 PM »
Not naming names because this really isn't that important, but it's one of those things that's been kind of sitting unresolved for a good long time now and I wanted some advice on the situation.

Long story short, I contracted with a trader who some people here may know, we live in the same state and go to a lot of the same shows (pre-covid). I'd given them good business in the past, and so I hired them to do a little restoration on two G1s and a G3, in pretty bait condition (they were dollar store rescues like so much of my collection). Because of the condition I wasn't expecting much, but re-hairing was definitely on the list. I gave them money, their prices were reasonable, and we loosely agreed it'd be done in a few months. That was back in 2019... in the before times.

I did reach out to them in 2020, and they showed pictures of the ponies, in a disassembled state. Of course the state of the world precluded any kind of real resolution, but I was glad for the response... it was hard to get in touch with this person as they weren't especially active on social media, or at least the social media I'm on (Facebook & Discord). Admittedly, I'm not super active either.

I also reached out in late 2021, thinking perhaps we'd be able to meet up at a winter con that was happening then, and work something out. I even offered to send someone with money to pick up the ponies, in whatever state they were in, in case I could not come. I received no response, and decided not to go to the con for other reasons.

I am going to be attending a con I know they'll be at this summer... what do you guys think I should do? Should I try talking with them in person and trying to work something out? If they still have the ponies, I'd be happy with them just being returned. I know logically at this point I should probably just give it up but I'm as stubborn as Applejack, and just as silly. It's also just messy unfinished business at this point, and I think it'd be good to settle it at some point given that we're likely to be at the same cons (as long as those cons run). Any advice from fellow collectors that have had to deal with this sort of thing before?
i don't think its unreasonable of you to talk to them, 3 years is a LONG time to complete a commission and those ponies, bait and cheap or not, are your property

Offline Bluebook

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 08:57:18 PM »

I did reach out to them in 2020, and they showed pictures of the ponies, in a disassembled state. Of course the state of the world precluded any kind of real resolution, but I was glad for the response... it was hard to get in touch with this person as they weren't especially active on social media, or at least the social media I'm on (Facebook & Discord). Admittedly, I'm not super active either.

i don't think its unreasonable of you to talk to them, 3 years is a LONG time to complete a commission and those ponies, bait and cheap or not, are your property

Yeah, if it weren't for the pandemic this all would probably have been straightened out eons ago. I think I sort of gave up for a while last winter, but I've been thinking about the con again (because, happily, a friend I haven't seen for a while reached out and i've been busy writing fanfic again) which brought it to mind.

The delay in the commission was initially that, at least for one of the ponies, the new hair got purchased, accidentally tossed, and then reordered... I wonder if they just could not get the supplies anymore? It's mostly just crazy to think it's been three years since I've been to an in person con!

I have tried reaching out again to them with the two social media accounts I have for them, to try and coordinate things.

The even crazier thing is, I think I got those ponies in like December 2018? The G1s were the first I'd found in the wild.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 09:01:14 PM by Bluebook »

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 06:25:51 AM »
I think you're being way too lenient; a pandemic can only be an excuse for so long. It's 3 ponies. I'm a busy mom with zero downtime for hobbies, and I still managed to rehair 3 ponies in the space of 3 years. Post offices are still up and running, and unless they are severely immunocompromised, and I'm assuming that they are not if they are attending cons, there is no excuse for not being able to drop your ponies in the mail, finished or not, and return your property.

I'd try contacting them by whatever means you have of reaching them; just state that you'd like them returned, assembled or not, and if you don't get a response, you're well within your rights to ask them in person at the con about them, where they can't hide behind a screen or a pandemic. They probably won't have them on hand, but at least you'll know your message was delivered. If they then don't send them within a reasonable time frame, I would leave appropriate feedback to warn others not to do business with them.

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 12:08:46 PM »

Yeah, if it weren't for the pandemic this all would probably have been straightened out eons ago. I think I sort of gave up for a while last winter, but I've been thinking about the con again (because, happily, a friend I haven't seen for a while reached out and i've been busy writing fanfic again) which brought it to mind.

The delay in the commission was initially that, at least for one of the ponies, the new hair got purchased, accidentally tossed, and then reordered... I wonder if they just could not get the supplies anymore? It's mostly just crazy to think it's been three years since I've been to an in person con!

I have tried reaching out again to them with the two social media accounts I have for them, to try and coordinate things.

The even crazier thing is, I think I got those ponies in like December 2018? The G1s were the first I'd found in the wild.
hard to believe its been 3 years since 2019 😆 even with the delay it shouldn't take them this long to contact you, i'd def approach them about it

Post Merge: May 27, 2022, 12:10:11 PM

I think you're being way too lenient; a pandemic can only be an excuse for so long. It's 3 ponies. I'm a busy mom with zero downtime for hobbies, and I still managed to rehair 3 ponies in the space of 3 years. Post offices are still up and running, and unless they are severely immunocompromised, and I'm assuming that they are not if they are attending cons, there is no excuse for not being able to drop your ponies in the mail, finished or not, and return your property.

I'd try contacting them by whatever means you have of reaching them; just state that you'd like them returned, assembled or not, and if you don't get a response, you're well within your rights to ask them in person at the con about them, where they can't hide behind a screen or a pandemic. They probably won't have them on hand, but at least you'll know your message was delivered. If they then don't send them within a reasonable time frame, I would leave appropriate feedback to warn others not to do business with them.
also this, i understand not wanting to drop names but i'd personally wanna know who not to have business with. hope it gets resolved!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 09:29:05 PM »
Unfortunately I do have advice on this, and it's not great. Mine involved one rehair. It ended in harassment, stalking, and a threatening phone call. I'm just lucky I got my pony back in the end.

So, my advice? Be prepared to call the cops to report a theft. I'm not really about that 'gently coaxing a scammer into doing the right thing' life anymore, LOL. But the police will hopefully only be the worst-case scenario; I'd start off by checking on the progress of your rehair, and simply ask for the ponies returned. Lie if you have to. 'I'm going to give them to my kids so condition doesn't matter', or 'I'm moving soon and I really want to get this wrapped up.' Be prepared for them to try and charge you for the cost of hair, even the hanks they lost. (Why? Because scammer!) Decide how much you're willing to bribe a thief to get your own property back; sometimes it's better to eat the $10 instead of never seeing your beloved ponies again.

I'm coming with the worst-case scenario here, but I've been burned pretty badly in this kind of situation. I hope for your sake that this never goes that far, and the person in this situation isn't a scammer, just easily overwhelmed! It's still really inappropriate to be selling at cons when they have unfinished commission work, though, so I would add my name to the pile of people who want to know who this is to avoid them. I hope you can get your ponies back!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 06:32:21 AM »
why do you think I keep the Bad Trader List?  Scammers are out there... and they always come into Ponyland...
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal