collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where have all the good swaps gone? Hosts needed for new ideas  (Read 18235 times)

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
Where have all the good swaps gone? Hosts needed for new ideas
« on: February 17, 2012, 07:05:37 AM »
It used to be there were so many I wanted to be in, I had to pick and choose carefully, now it seems there are less and less I'm interested in...

I'd start my own but don't have the time for the work involved...

Has anyone else noticed this trend? Is it maybe because of the more stringent rules/feedback with shipping on time, etc? I know that's part of why I've hesitated on some that weren't AS interesting to me, but its been ages since I did a swap on here ...
 I don't think its entirely to do with the transition to the new boards either... *shrugs*

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:34:19 AM by heftysmurf76 »

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
Re: Where have all the good swaps gone?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 07:41:36 AM »
The swaps have seemed great to me lately actually. I think right now the new ones popping up are a little light because people are still recovering from the holidays and we have a quite a few swaps starting to wrap up in a month or two. I know I haven't gotten the swap I was going to host underway yet as I wanted to allow some stuff currently going on time to wrap up.

Offline naylastar

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 07:50:13 AM »
Why not suggest themes for swaps and let someone else host. I've seen a few people here do that because they don't have the time to host themselves.

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 07:58:17 AM »
There are quite a few great swaps right now :)  The Cherry Blossom Swap and the Love Swap are both large swaps, so I think once those finish up we will see a lot more smaller swaps pop up.

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:30:18 AM »
The swaps have seemed great to me lately actually. I think right now the new ones popping up are a little light because people are still recovering from the holidays and we have a quite a few swaps starting to wrap up in a month or two. I know I haven't gotten the swap I was going to host underway yet as I wanted to allow some stuff currently going on time to wrap up.
I don't mean to imply that the swaps available now aren't good ones, they just don't interest me as much, whereas in the past, I've been torn between 4 and 5 different swaps I wanted to be in. I guess part of it is a lot of them have been done before, or I personally have done similar ones...*shrugs*
Thats a good point about the Holidays, but I think I took that into account last month, not so much now...but perhaps...

Why not suggest themes for swaps and let someone else host. I've seen a few people here do that because they don't have the time to host themselves.
Thats a good idea, I definitely considered that! If anyone wants to host please chime in!
A few things I'd love to see:

• DC or Marvel characters ONLY swap (the comic swaps in the past have been too broad IMO)
  • Disney Animated swap
  • Star Wars Swap
  • Star Trek Swap
  • Movie theme swap (ponies designed with "collages" of our favorite moves, or characters from them
  • Bella Sara swap (MLP-ized versions of Bella Sara horses)
And of course the old standbys like
  • G4 to G1, G1 to G4, G3 to G4, etc etc
  • Adult to baby
I'd kill for another Monster High swap too!

I added to the thread's title to reflect this, I'd be glad to help co-host evun...or make up the application...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:36:39 AM by heftysmurf76 »

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Where have all the good swaps gone? Hosts needed for new ideas
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »
Idk man, the swaps have been pretty dang epic as far as I'm concerned, I've been really disappointed that I can't join all of them!!

I think the stricter rules were warranted. You don't tell your boss "oh I'll come to work whenever" you go in when you are scheduled!!  I don't see why it's so hard to get swaps done on time, since you are usually given way more than a month to get things in!

But as far as more swaps that you are interested in, why not come up with some ideas of your own, and see if anyone would be interested in hosting them? There are plenty of seasoned swap organizers that would probably step up to the plate :)
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline Alexia

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://easternsunsetcreations.webs.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 08:49:57 AM »
I love the idea of the Star Wars & bella Sara swaps, but I have really been behind on my work lately so I haven't been able join swaps.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 08:52:28 AM »
I love running swaps (I'm one of those people who likes to organize things,) so I would definitely assist in any ideas anyone might have if I'm needed.

I think we're all trying to recover from the holidays (and the holiday swaps) ... but there are some good ones coming up (and I don't just mean mine .. cough cough.  I'm kidding.  :) )

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 09:01:25 AM »
I think the stricter rules were warranted. You don't tell your boss "oh I'll come to work whenever" you go in when you are scheduled!!  I don't see why it's so hard to get swaps done on time, since you are usually given way more than a month to get things in!
I'm not saying they were unwarranted, I just wondered if that was why some folks stopped joining in...I do understand the importance of getting things done on time, but I don't know if I'd compare it to a job...that also makes it seem less fun! LOL :)
Regardless I definitely see the importance of having the stricter rules, I just wondered if they affected others willingness to participate.

But as far as more swaps that you are interested in, why not come up with some ideas of your own, and see if anyone would be interested in hosting them? There are plenty of seasoned swap organizers that would probably step up to the plate :)
yep, already did that :-D

I love running swaps (I'm one of those people who likes to organize things,) so I would definitely assist in any ideas anyone might have if I'm needed.

I think we're all trying to recover from the holidays (and the holiday swaps) ... but there are some good ones coming up (and I don't just mean mine .. cough cough.  I'm kidding.  :) )
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE feel free to "steal" ANY of my ideas and run with them...just LMK you're doing so, so I can be first in line to join! :-D
What are the ones coming up though? I only see 3 gauging interest ...

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 09:03:54 AM »
Nah I don't think they've stopped people from joining, Like, Eviecorn said, I think it's more that people are still recovering from holidays!
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

creampuf

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 09:06:40 AM »

Life. Short and sweet, life has a way of sneaking up on you in a way that affects your creativity and time to make a pony.

I think we all enjoy swaps with the best intention of doing a fantastic job and giving a wonderful gift but if I have to choose between dealing with life events or making a pony, the pony loses.

it's also on of the reasons I swore off the swaps....even doing personal trades is difficult with life getting in the way.

That being said I always check the swap posts and offer advice and generally stick my nose in. Even if I won't be making a pony for it I can always help a fellow artist with tips and advice.

Offline xSexyWafflesx

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Muffins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 09:11:44 AM »
Maybe a miyazaki swap or a pokemon swap!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Fuu ref sheet:  http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/294665_279291878753786_100000189281661_1368469_2327441_n.jpg
My deviant art:  xSexyWafflesx.deviantart.com
My etsy:  etsy.com/shop/xsexywafflesx

Offline Lucky4leafclover

• Trade Count: (+129)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.etsy.com/shop/LittleLuckyClover
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 09:17:16 AM »
I had planned on hosting my first swap next month, a Nursery Rhyme swap, with a cohost.
I had also planned 3 other swaps upcoming, Medieval Times, Disney & Studio Ghibli and "Best Friends set" themes.

I have just had a lot going on rl recently, and through personal preference and the urging of friends I have stayed away from swaps. There have been a lot of awesome swaps going on, I have been sad not to join them.

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 09:25:23 AM »
Nah I don't think they've stopped people from joining, Like, Eviecorn said, I think it's more that people are still recovering from holidays!

I noticed the trend BEFORE the holidays though...I mean I definitely AGREE that the holidays have a lot to do with it, but I don't necessarily think they're the ONLY culprit. Like I said though, this is just my opinion that I haven't seen any swaps that I'm like "OMG must join now!!!"
Life. Short and sweet, life has a way of sneaking up on you in a way that affects your creativity and time to make a pony.

I think we all enjoy swaps with the best intention of doing a fantastic job and giving a wonderful gift but if I have to choose between dealing with life events or making a pony, the pony loses.

it's also on of the reasons I swore off the swaps....even doing personal trades is difficult with life getting in the way.
yes, see this is sort of what I was alluding to. And if you're not completely enamored with a swap theme, there's even greater chance of it not being a priority.

To clarify, I'm not saying I think folks join swaps they're not interested in (or should), I'm just saying this coupled WITH the fact that we defineitly need to be more aware of timelines, might be why (TO ME or IMO), it seems like there are not as many swaps that strike my fancy currently...

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 09:36:49 AM »
I think the biggest problem is that people don't want to host because it is a large amount of responsibility and time to make sure everything is running smoothly in addition to designing and making the pony for the said swap. I understand you feel like your style of swap is missing but maybe it's because people with your interested don't want to be swap hosts. They would rather someone else do the logistical business for them and at the moment those people arent available.  I only see a few options, cohost a swap to take some of the pressure off, find someone else willing to pick up your swap, host the swap yourself.

Personally financial setbacks after the holidays play a factor.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:38:31 AM by Sarahlacewing »
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal