collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question for SAHMs and back to school  (Read 1042 times)

Offline teacher316

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Question for SAHMs and back to school
« on: August 31, 2016, 07:25:36 AM »
At the end of summer, my husband's family has a picnic. The past 2 years I've been asked a question and stumbled a bit with my answer. I stay at home with my kids but they are about to go back to school. Someone always asks me "what are you going to do while the kids are in school all day?" :shocked:
I feel like saying "I could probably list it for you but we'd be here for hours!"  :lookround: I am a super busy mom with tons of stuff to do but I need a simple answer I guess.
What do you other stay-at-home moms say? Are you ever asked this question?

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Question for SAHMs and back to school
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 09:11:26 AM »
I'm a single, disabled, stay at home mom, without transportation. I get asked it by people who already know me and know I stay ridiculously busy.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 01:31:21 PM »
Well......Seems the easiest answer would most likely be: "Work." It's not like "kids in school" suddenly means you have "all the free times!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline teacher316

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 06:41:38 AM »
kaoskat and dragonfly-that would be funny! Sorry to hear Tak. Why don't people think before they speak? My husband said I should tell them "all the same work except it will be quiet." Maybe I should say "if I get any free time between errands,being a taxi, and housework I'd LOVE to do something for just ME once in awhile!"
Seriously I've been so busy with them my kids all summer, I've hardly done anything I like to do. That's a mom's life for you though;)

Offline buddyboymama

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 09:36:41 AM »
My kids aren't in school yet, but I can imagine how annoying that would be. You could ask them to imagine having their kids at work with them every day, and how hard it would be to get anything done. Personally, I think I'd tell them it's none of their business. That's probably why I don't have friends, and I don't have to worry about answering those kinds of questions.

Offline Shaliken

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Artist, Momma, and very happy Wife ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »
First, it's really none of their business, and second, answer however you like, lol. I mean, most of the folks who ask those questions aren't really listening to your answer.  -_-

My MIL is like this, and I just quit trying. She seems to think I have loads of free time even though I chase a toddler all day. Then, when I tell her we're busy, she tries to guilt me into turning my kid over to her for the day(not going to happen in a million years for too many reasons to list). If my little one was in school, it would just change to demands to come bale hay, learn to mow, or feed the horses. I wouldn't mind all that, but I'm already super busy with stuff at MY home.  :shocked:

I have few acquaintances who are the same. It's super frustrating. So I just answer whatever I feel like(for the most part, lol) and let them figure it out.  ;)

I do, however, make it clear that dropping by unannounced to "visit" since I have "so much freetime" is a huge no-no. I'm BUSY, gosh darn it! Plus, it's very rude.   >_<

Of course, you could always just start listing off the stuff on your todo list and watch their eyes glaze over.... :lol:

~Shaliken

~Shaliken
When Life gives you lemons, throw them back in the face of Life and demand the oranges you asked for! :shakefist:

Offline Violet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 05:18:03 PM »
I work now but I was a SAHM for 15 years. I always had a hard time with that question! For me, it felt like the minute I dropped them off it was go time and I tried to get as much done as I could until it was time to pick them up. Honestly, the only friends that really got it were the other SAHM's. It was always so rare to have a day "just for me".

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 06:26:45 AM »
I joke and say I'll be laying on the couch eating bon bons all day and then change the subject. People seem to think SAHM are on vacation or something when the kids are at school.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 06:44:11 PM »
Im a stay at home mom, though now that my son is almost 13, Id like to look for work, now that he can stay home alone. At that age, with one kid, theres just not a lot to do anymore xD since he takes care of his chores.

But before, My answer was always something like "Oh I can usually find something to do." haha. Aside from the usual cleaning stuff, I would read, find some DIY thing to spruce up a corner of the house, every few years I pick a room to remodel on a very small budget xD (but hey even a paint job can make a big difference!) I work in my garden, I walk, or more recently Iv gotten back into drawing and other art related commissions, its nice having that little bit of extra money.

The short answer? I do what I want, and there's always something to do. :p

Post Merge: September 06, 2016, 06:46:49 PM

I joke and say I'll be laying on the couch eating bon bons all day and then change the subject. People seem to think SAHM are on vacation or something when the kids are at school.

This is why I get kinda annoyed when people ask xD ESPECIALLY if you have elementary age kids, Its crazy how often I was making little snacks for some thing or other. I dont know about other schools, but my son always had about 30 kids in a class. o.o; There's not really a lot of idle time, and if you DO find yourself a moment to lay around and enjoy a snack, then dang it I think I earned it! xD
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:46:49 PM by True »
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 06:28:55 PM »
Lol, so you're not supposed to tell then you're going to day drink and chain smoke, then take a nap before you pick up your kids?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 11:50:50 AM »
Lol, so you're not supposed to tell then you're going to day drink and chain smoke, then take a nap before you pick up your kids?
^^this is my new answer!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal