collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What's Your Favourite and Least Favourite Thing/s About Each Generation?  (Read 825 times)

Offline TheClassCalico

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Hi there! I thought it would be fun to create a discussion about what our favourite (and least) favourite things about each generation, including .5 generations, are. Of course, nobody is obligated to cover each generation or name least favourite or favourite things about a specific generation if they do not want to.

I will personally be basing mine on the toylines, but anybody is welcome to mention other media if they'd prefer.

So, to get started:

G1:

Favourite: The sheer amount of variety! We got a ton of ponies with a wide variety of gimmicks, colours, symbols, poses and body types and there was a good amount of species, too (breeds? Types?)

Least Favourite: This is tough, but I guess that G1s are prone to growing mould due to the vinyl. The idea of my ponies growing mould and it spreading is not a fun one.

G2:

Favourite: it just has such a nice style, I love ponies with visible hooves and the gem in their eyes? Perfection!

Least Favourite: The lack of pegasi (or pony types in general, for that matter). We only got Earth Ponies and unicorns; G2 did technically have attachable wings for some of the unicorns, however, I see these more as an accessory than actual alicorns.

G3:

Favourite: G3 has some of the nicest gimmicks, in my opinion (the makeup ponies, my beloved!) The hoof magnets on the earlier releases are cool, too!

Least Favourite: um, this is even tougher than G1, but I don't like all of the pink. I am not a huge fan of pink bodies generally and G3 had a lot of it.

G3.5

Favourite: the hair quality is really nice! I also appreciate the hair styles on some.

Least Favourite: I'm really not a big fan of the art style, it's not my cup of tea at all.

G4:

Favourite: The small and large alicorns are nice. I do quite like the more expressive poses of the reboot ponies, too.

Least favourite: I really don't like how little variety in poses and characters there are, especially before the reboot. I'm also not a massive fan of the art style.

G4.5:

Favourite: Visible hooves! Also, I like the glittery look in some of their eyes.

Least Favourite: I know that I've said this twice already, but the style. I'm just not a big fan.

G5:

Favourite: nice designs, the larger (any bigger than 3 inches) are pretty nice.

Least favourite: G5 has the same issues as G4 at the moment, lack of variety in character and poses. I also don't really like moulded hair, which many of them have.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 02:14:43 PM by TheClassCalico »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your Favourite and Least Favourite Thing/s About Each Generation?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 08:21:11 PM »
G1
Favorite: The quality and variety
Least favorite: Some of the gimmicky sets

G2-
Liked: Some of the great color schemes
Least favorite: The lack of species variety and the hideous articulated set

G3-
Favorite: Return to form,variety, and beauty
Least favorite: The hair rot is far more extensive in the line then initially thought

G4: The water cuties, baby merponies, and pearlies
Least favorite: Everything else about them is awful

Mishmash
Favorite: The Crossover line! Return to quality, and ponies being actual ponies.
Least favorite: The low eyes, they were hard to find.

G5
Favorite: Those gorgeous pegasus wings
Least favorite: Continuation of extreme character repetition. Those weird heads and necks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 07:08:50 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 09:30:20 PM »
G1: Fave: the VARIETY!!!
Least fave: their age & the price of getting one these days

G2: Fave: most of the playsets. I don't have the mansion yet but it's a huge want!!!
Least fave: Light heart Canopy Bed Pony & the Dizzy Lizzie neck...

G3: Fave: the THEMES!!! Gem, Princess, Butterfly Island, Winter, Easter, Halloween...
Least fave: NO BOYS, & a severe lack of unicorns, plus not many pegasi either

G3.5: Fave: NEWBORN CUTIES!!! AWW xxx
Least Fave: BORE 7

G4: Fave: BOYS AGAIN!!! And Sea Ponies!!! And a couple of Hippogriffs!!!
Least fave: Their size, the playsets, & the insistence on Mane Six... Out of those, I'm picking the size issue. Why so small???

G4.5: Fave: Not that much really I can think of...
Least fave: Their SHAPE!!! Those are NOT Ponies!!!

G5: Fave: they're new, so I can pop out & get them now
Least fave: How hard it is to find most of them as brushables

Petites: Fave: the "key" thing they have!!!
Least fave: No Unicorns!!!

Dream Beauties: Fave: they are GORGEOUS!!!
Least fave: Hard plastic

Ponyvilles (G3): Fave: all the accessories!!! AND mermaids!!!
Least fave: detachable manes being lost

Blind Bags & other G4 minis: Fave: more authentic playsets & insane variety (why not in brushables too I ask, why???)
Least fave: I don't like the blindness of blind bags, as I'm a completionist & don't go overboard on duplicates

GOH: Fave: they got motion right!!! (& they add extra characters to the range)
Least fave: Moulded hair

Crossovers: Fave: the concept itself!!!
Least fave: moulded hair again, as well as clothes you can't remove

EQG: Fave: the DVDs
Least fave: they're dolls  :X

Dollymix: Fave: so small, so cute, real hair!!!
Least fave: why stop at so few???

Retro: fave: Newer Ponies for replacing older ones, the feeling of getting a new one again, & for Custom work while buyable
Least fave: so far we've seen them all before, in pretty much this form (but that seems about to change...)

HQG1C: Fave: NEW PONIES IN G1 MOULDS!!! Including convention exclusives!!!
Least fave: it can take a long time for a new one to be produced...

McDonalds: Fave: cute, & adds variety to Ponyvilles in particular. I love the G3 McDonald's the best
Least fave: the screws in the G2 McDonald's first set.

Plushies: Fave: so snuggly!!!
Least fave: yarn hair or cloth hair. I prefer hair hair or fur pile hair.

That's pretty much me
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 09:35:24 PM by Ponybookworm »
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 01:54:08 AM »
G1
Favourite: The variety for sure, there is guaranteed to be a pony for everyone. And the boys! I love the boys so much.
Least Favourite: I struggled on this one. I think mostly how some of them can age badly. Or how fragile some of them can feel to me, sometimes. I remember knocking my Gusty off a shelf by accident, catching her, and somehow smudging her eye paint from that - she didn't even hit the floor! My mint ones always feel so delicate.

G2
Favourite: I like how dainty they are, and the hooves as well. Huge fan of fuzzy hooves.
Least Favourite: No pegasi :(

G3
Favourite: There is also a lot of variety here! They're also pretty sturdy feeling, if that makes sense? A good size for holding in your hand.
Least Favourite: Very few Pegasi/Unicorns. Also, might just be me, but I feel a bit less colour variety. I remember my old G3 shelves having a LOT of pink.

G4
Favourite: They look very sweet, almost doe like to me. I love how cute the pegasi look, and I love their wings. Fashion style ponies, too, I love them!
Least Favourite: Repetition of the Mane 6, also the hair quality. It got SO BAD. I have some G4's I picked up recently in a charity and their hair is so bad they look like perfume puffs!

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 05:05:37 AM »
G1
Favourite: The nostalgia. You can't recreate that. Variety is part of that, of course, but nothing will ever replace the excitement of being a kid going out with birthday money to spend on a new herd member.

Least Favourite: For me it's more a handful of little niggles, but I'm going to go with the perfume on the Sundae Best ponies. Some of the other design flaws (fading pink hair, flutter wings, curls being easy to brush out) are all features I love...so I can't really judge. There's also the love/hate relationship with exclusivity and the fact things weren't all sold in the same place. I love that the UK did its own thing a lot - but I regret that certain sets, like Glory's, didn't get here. I can see an argument against metal tail washers, too.
Oh yeah. US name repetition syndrome is also something I dislike.

G2
Favourite: I think they got better as they went on. Berry Bright is my favourite G2, and she's from the original release (again, there's some nostalgia there for me), but some of the later designs are fabulous.

Least favourite: It's a toss up between the repetition of characters or the sticky sticky of Queen Sunsparkle.

G3.
Favourite: Variety. Colour. The obvious willingness to try out different schemes and ideas, while trying to reflect a style more recogniseable to pony fans. The excitement in the community of G3 coming out is something I'll never forget.

Least Favourite: Prejudicial distribution. Pandering too much to the store chain exclusive phenomenon in early 21st Century America without working out an equivalency solution for the rest of the world, making it difficult and expensive to keep up with all aspects of the line. This aspect of G3 really broke me. The lack of boys is genuinely nothing in comparison, since, well, it's up to the collector to assign gender.
Oh yeah. Also introducing us to the term 'cutie mark', which we didn't need.

G4.
Favourite: I like the original mould style, I also like the different characters that occasionally popped up, though moreso at the start of the line. I love Luna's colouring though there's only a handful of toys that reflect it.

Least Favourite: If we're only talking about the toys, then REPETITION. I liked Rarity, etc the first time around. By the fifteen hundredth I was done. If we're talking the wider G4 world, then everything associated with the G4 fandom. I don't like FIM, but I think it would've been better if it had not been so increasingly tailored to brony cultural nods and the like. It has some awkward messages and its representation of friendship is dangerous at times. Taken as a whole the series is probably not too incendiary, but in conjunction with everything else, it's on my least favourite list.
Also, "cutie marks" as a designator of future path.

I'm going to add in here that if we consider EQG separately, I have much more time for the specials than I do FIM. And the favourite here is Sunset Shimmer. Obvs.

G5
Favourite: Ummm....it's too early to say really. I don't have strong feelings about G5 to the point of having a 'favourite' anything.

Least Favourite: I don't like the regimented way magic is handled vis a vis earth ponies - I grew up with earth ponies that had magic, and I dislike this through all generations, honestly. I dislike the names in G5, they're mostly stupid. I don't like the squashy faces that make them look like disney princesses, either. I really don't have strong feelings about G5 that make me want to identify any of these as my 'least favourite' factor, though. They're kind of just a bit 'there' for me.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 08:39:49 AM »
G1:
Favourite - So much variety! Beautiful boy ponies! Quality is great, they're just adorable... I could go on and on ;) I love how much stuff they tried! Even if I don't care for all the gimmicks - they're at least more interesting than most of the gimmicky ponies from later gens. (I.e. I don't like Drink n Wets, but they're still more.. interesting?.. than... like, G4's idea of a gimmick was "the same, but with a ribbon stuck in her hair!" or "screenshots slathered all over one side of their body". BO-RING. G1 gimmicks had some duds, sure, but they still all felt like they'd actually had thought put into them, if that makes sense?) And so many different breeds/species/etc, inc. non-ponies like the pony friends!
Least favourite - Harder to find these days due to their age, of course. The prices are getting a bit crazy too (to be fair that's the case for a lot of stuff right now, esp. post-pandemic). Plus some can be difficult to find in good condition, i.e. flutter wings, non-rusty sea ponies, etc

G2:
Favourite - They're just so darling. The later releases in particular are really creative. And the babies are way too cute!! They also have some of the CUTEST accessories.
Least favourite - Again, they can be difficult to find these days, especially for a reasonable price. I wish they had more unicorns and ANY pegasi (love the clip-on wings, but they're just not the same!), and more poses - though somehow the lack of pose variety in G2 doesn't bug me as much as it does in G4? I guess cause G2 otherwise has a lot of variety (character-wise, etc) so that makes up for it. Oh - I also don't like the gimmicky ponies with movable legs/necks/etc. They just look weird.

G3:
Favourite - omg so much VARIETY!!! And creativity!!! G3 has some of the best, wildest and most creative symbols and designs. The winter ponies are some of the best ponies ever released IMO.
Least favourite - No boys! Not many babies either, and again - a definite deficit of unicorns/pegasi. Plus they did tend to favour pink a little too much (and I LIKE pink :P).

G3.5:
Favourite - I do like how each character was a different height, that's a nice detail. The mum ponies are cute too.
Least favourite - Newborn Cuties. *ick* And in general this gen just didn't do it for me - the look of the ponies - just not my thing. Also, bore 7. :zzz:

G4:
Favourite - I actually like their small size - they're very cute and tiny. Took me a while to warm up to the new designs, but I like them now - I especially like the almond-shaped unicorn eyes. The little pets included with the first few waves were great too. They came up with some great designs when they actually tried to - there's some blind bags I'd kill to have in brushable form. Good to see boys make a return, too (even if they're not perfect - better than nothing!), and the baby ponies are cute, I just wish they hadn't vanished after a while.
Least favourite - Same poses over and over, but even worse - the SAME. FREAKING. CHARACTERS. OVER AND OVER. :rant: Look, I get it, they want to have the main cartoon characters on shelves all the time - fair enough. But you can make OTHER CHARACTERS TOO!!!! This drives me insane. It wasn't too bad at the beginning of the line, they had a decent balance of new characters + re-releases - so what went wrong?!? And again, the fact that they only made a handful of babies, and oh that troll hair on poor Shining Armour...
Playsets were a bit lame for this gen too, but to be fair I don't really collect them, so I suppose I can't fairly mark them down for that one.
Also not a fan of how they started to put all their creativity into blind bags near the end. I love the blind bags, but I'd rather have a brushable - IMO the figures should be a sideline to the brushables - not the main thing. they got the balance right with Ponyville in G3 - not so much in G4.
And like I said before, the gimmicks range from "super lame" to "just plain ugly". :p
(I'm not a fan of all the fandom shenanigans... etc... but ehhhh I'm not talking about that this time, I'm just focusing on the toys.)
Oh - and the distribution sucked at times, especially closer to the end of the line. >_<

G4 movie/reboot/whatever you want to call 'em:
Favourite - Soarin's ball-jointed wings! SO COOL. Also the hippogriffs and merponies (ahem... sea ponies). More species, yay!!! I so wish they'd made bat pony toys. Some cool new characters were made too.
Least favourite - those bulbous heads did take a while to get used to ^^; And um, no babies. (apart from Flurry Heart, I suppose... not really a fan of her mould, though) Also still 95% main 6 >_< But the other 5% were pretty nice.

G4.5 (Pony Life):
Favourite - Ummm... They included my favourite girl Trixie. And were even nice enough to make two variants of her for me to hunt down. :p And I did like the feathered hooves, I want to see more MLPs with feathering.
Least favourite - God their bodies look weird. Also they all look manic. Although I admit that is sort of funny (I love the tiny blind bag Lyra with her wild "just downed 50 espressos" expression). In general this gen's just "there" for me though, it lasted such a short time (and most of them never even turned up in my neck of the woods) that I can't really work up strong feelings about it either way. I'm a bit forgiving of it too since it was pretty obviously just thrown together quickly to keep MLP on the shelves between gens.

G5:
Favourite - ....Ummm..... ...... ...I got nothin', sorry. Oh wait no I know, Hitch. Boy pony right out of the gate? Awesome.
Least favourite - Those damned Elsafaces. The names are pretty stupid too - most of them are too human!!! in the sense that they feel like a "firstname lastname" sort of thing - I don't generally like ponies to have human-style names like that. But yeah honestly this gen's just "there" for me right now, I can take it or leave it. I really don't have any strong feelings on it either way.

bonus:
EQG dolls:
Favourite - yay more anthro dolls! and some of the outfits were too damn cute. Their faces are so sweet. :) Also the CMC dolls are some of my favourite dolls ever. So tiny and cute and aaaaahh I love them!!!
Least favourite - Flash Sentry. *ick* And the ugly reboot dolls, don't even get me started on those. Also I wasn't that keen on the occasional plastic clothes, and I really disliked the painted legs. The peg feet for the first few waves were lame, but they did get rid of those pretty quickly, so fair enough. Also they only used the little sister mold for one set, what the heck Hasbro

Crossover ponies:
Favourite - The idea behind them is cool, and I love to see them experimenting with stuff aimed more at collectors. The (attempt at a) retro style is nice too.
Least favourite - Eye placement is very wonky. Plus honestly a lot of the crossovers just don't interest me. I think Transformers is getting cooler crossovers :P And I have no idea what gen to consider these. (yes, that counts!!)

Those "retro" ponies that were G4 chars in G1-esque molds:
Favourite - CROSSGEN YES WOOT GOOD IDEA also they were very cute and tiny
Least favourite - God getting a hold of all six was a pain in the neck. Distribution? What's that? I also still think they look more like G1/G3 mashups than anything - not really a complaint, they are cute - but I wouldn't call them exactly "G1 style". Also they only made 7 chars and one of them (G1 Twilight) was a SDCC exclusive. I want more of these!

Offline Queen Sophie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Shy Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2022, 01:36:46 PM »
G1

Favorite: The toys! Beautiful hair, good quality, cool gimmicks, so many poses (fun to choose which pose would go best with a custom character!) the backstory cards, not a lot of people talk about this but I do like the music and the jingle sound! They are addictive to collect! Also the Takara ponies! I normally don’t like simple designs but these ponies are an exception!

Least: This is a tough one probably stains, whitening a pony, or other things like that because they take time to fade/whiten! I just want to display and hold my pony now!

G2

Favorite: I played the pc game as a kid with my sister and it was fun bringing up nostalgia and I like that they look tall, lean, and elegant! Also the gem eyes I love them!

Least: No pegasus molds, very few unicorns (or alicorns if you count the magical wings), there was one pony that had magical wings so I guess you could call it a pegasus or WindSong from the comics where she had wings, also lack of show, obviously a show isn’t the most important to me when it comes to ponies but it would be fun! But at the same time as long as there are ponies to collect I can live without a show!

G3

Favorite: The toys I grew up with! Beautiful hair and the sparkly bodies, I LOVE the detail on the cutie marks! Like I said, I’m not a fan of simple deigns so I’m glad these ponies basically have an art piece on them! Amazing songs and music! The poses (also fun to choose which pose goes with which custom character), the very feminine and girly look especially with the eyes I love that! The background deigns/art piece (and one showing Lilly Lightly’s horn glow) so GORGEOUS! The castles/play sets I think are the best out of any gen! The little magnets! I did a test on all of them to see which one can stay on the longest by spinning the around! Overall giving off that 2000’s nostalgia!

Least: The cutie marks on one side! Ahh that bothers me! Meh specials (with the exception of A Very Minty Christmas I love that one!), not a lot of unicorns and pegasi and what bothers me is that there is no baby unicorn toy, I would also love a Spike toy

G3.5

Favorite: I remember getting a McDonald’s toy from it, being like “Oh neat my little pony like the ones I grew up with!” Some fun nostalgia like that

Least: Newborn cuties, I like to poke fun at them but the toys, there’s no fun brushable hair

G4

Favorite: The show I grew up with when I was around 11 or 12! I would be on my bunk bed and watch it on my iPod touch, love the fantasy theme, lore, some pretty designs, and the alicorns! My favorite pony race! So elegant tall and beautiful! (Same goes with the tall kirin) I also love the design of them! The eyes also very pretty and feminine! Also Princess Luna being my spirit animal! Some brony fan made stuff I watched gave me more nostalgia that I used to watch on my iPod touch! The collectibles! I forget what they are called but they come in a black box and just amazing figurines!

Least: While I love the alicorn designs, I can’t say the same for the normal mare and stallion looks, it’s too simple, I really dislike the bashing of other generations especially with g3 they did (without them, you wouldn’t be writing a popular tv show, like have some  appreciation for them! Geez!) They catered to grown men for a kids show which doesn’t seem right, it’s one thing if you add a reference they might get but giving them what they want made it a bit insane, in fact I would say they spoiled bronies that every time something they don’t like comes up, they complain! I also feel like hasbro gave a lot to them and the ones who were here first we’re just pushed under the bus!
Ok enough of that rant now, the toys! They are SO basic! No personality, no cool poses, not even facial expressions! Now it’s fine to a simple pose once in awhile but when it’s the same thing over and over and over and over! Now that changed when the reboot happened but they are even worse quality than the ones before! So I have no interest in collecting them but I will keep it if it’s an a bundle but equestria girls, no thanks, humans dolls just aren’t it for me

G4.5

Favorite: While it’s not amazing I find the show to be good when you just wanna watch something not serious and see your favorite characters living life

Least: The art style, my least favorite and the toys probably the worst out of any gen

G5

Favorite: The movie and the hype! While not as good as g1-g3 toys they are better than the g4 toys, amazing songs I still listen to this day! I also love the generation references and hope they do more especially g3 I’m waiting for Minty to appear on screen!

Least: Also the art style on products and the Tell your Tale ones, the stories we have been getting aren’t good, but I’ll still watch it cause why not? Mostly non brushables, just like what people say about g4 toys, same characters over and over! I get they are the main cast but it’s good to have different ponies! But there’s also been lack of toys, I guess cause kids are more into watching than playing with toys and I keep getting this feeling (which I could be easily wrong) that this generation might fail, again I could be easily wrong!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2022, 02:48:28 PM »
G1

Favorite: I love their eyes.  You could always tell a My Little Pony just by how their eyes looked.  Silky hair and chunky sculpting is also really charming and probably my favorite part.

Least Favorite: Crazy prices

G2

Favorite: Those little eye gems! So pretty.  I also really like their accessories.

Least Favorite: Their faces look unfinished.

G3

Favorite: The chunky bodies are back! So many colors and unique symbols!

Least Favorite: I don't like some of their poses.

G4

Favorite: The toys are cute and colorful.

Least Favorite: Their strong connection to the G4 show.  You could hardly pick a pony off the shelf without knowing what personality flaws its suppose to have, what it sounds like and it's fandom backstory.  No room to make a pony your own character.  They needed more non-show based ponies.

G5

Favorite: I like  the look of the pegasis toys. I'm not sure about anything else.  I don't think about them very often.

Least Favorite: I'd rather their pony land be less modernized.

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 03:04:09 PM »
Least Favorite: Their strong connection to the G4 show.  You could hardly pick a pony off the shelf without knowing what personality flaws its suppose to have, what it sounds like and it's fandom backstory.  No room to make a pony your own character.  They needed more non-show based ponies.

Oooh yes, I second this.

The collectibles! I forget what they are called but they come in a black box and just amazing figurines!

The Funko vinyl figures? :)

Offline Queen Sophie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Shy Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 04:40:02 PM »

Oooh yes, I second this.

The collectibles! I forget what they are called but they come in a black box and just amazing figurines!

The Funko vinyl figures? :)

Yep! Those are it!

Offline stjarne

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • my teemnsy pone....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2022, 11:26:42 AM »
G1
Most:
the crazy amount of ponies, variants of ponies, color variety... it owns its role as a classic very well :) some of the gimmicks are really cool. the ponies also have that sweet look in their eyes which i find very cute. its probably my 2nd fave gen even if i never grew up with it

Least: how easily the ponies mold, get regrind or cancer, tail rust etc :/ its really a bummer. also i may be biased or petty bc im a G3 fan through and through, but the insane amount of retro G1 adult clothes or accessories... it permeates everything. why doesn't G3 have anything like that? its so hard to find G3 adult clothing and anything i do find is in toddlers sizes (oh well, they're collectors pieces for me anyway)

G2
Most:
the interesting and more horse like molds these ones took on (i didnt like how they looked at first then it grew on me) and the eye gems are really beautiful! the pc game has some pretty good animation too.

Least: the symbols are pretty lackluster. also how exclusive these ponies were to europe so they're hard to get a hold of :( and idk this generation didn't seem to have much going for it. they really tried to make this generation into something and it just didn't/doesn't hit the same or have the same charm as G1 did (or even G3!) i do really like copper glow, g2 sweetberry and some of the twin babies but the rest of them are kinda boring. hardly any gimmicks from what i know. this gen had potential but they never went all out like they did beforehand

G3
Most:
oh man here we go... the films are so beautiful and well animated despite being aimed at very small kids I still enjoy them as an adult. the amount of merch is INSANE and is probably one of my fave parts of collecting this generation. i love some of the more eclectic themes they gave some ponies and the gimmicks are just as good as G1s (faves are the glitter symbols/faces, gradients, 3d symbols, tinsel etc.)  they brought back the G1 look and modernized it perfectly and took the best G1 gimmicks and did them better IMO.  the fair and con exclusive ponies are awesome. the playsets are the best of all the generations and the flash games are veeerry nostalgic for me

Least: i know i went on about all the good things about G3 but there are some things i wish were different or done better... mainly the disintegrating hair problem with a lot of G3 ponies. its widespread and puts a downer on some ponies for me, knowing ill possibly have to completely replace their hair and tinsel someday :( and again how hard it is to find G3 themed adult size clothing. oh and how RELENTLESS they were with the packaging of new in box ponies. the process of trying to get them out of there is like torture for me but i still do it bc i prefer loose with backcards lol

ill do the rest later...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 11:34:15 AM by stjarne »
✧・゚* jar ・゚*✧
they/she ◦ 22
G3 wishes | jars pony junction | my insta

:cloud:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2022, 11:34:37 AM »
also i may be biased or petty bc im a G3 fan through and through, but the insane amount of retro G1 adult clothes or accessories... it permeates everything. why doesn't G3 have anything like that? its so hard to find G3 adult clothing and anything i do find is in toddlers sizes (oh well, they're collectors pieces for me anyway)

I'd love some G3 retro stuff too! :) And G2, for that matter. I LOVE all the retro G1 stuff but it'd be great if the other gens could get some love, too.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What\'s Your Favourite and Least Favourite Thing/s About Each Generation?
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2022, 12:02:44 PM »
G3

Least: The cutie marks on one side! Ahh that bothers me! Meh specials (with the exception of A Very Minty Christmas I love that one!), not a lot of unicorns and pegasi and what bothers me is that there is no baby unicorn toy, I would also love a Spike toy

G3.5

Least: Newborn cuties, the toys, there’s no fun brushable hair

Agree fully about G3 Spike. If anybody is up to the challenge, I'm in the commission queue
Also yep, marks on one side, & why Cutie mark??? What's wrong with saying rump or flank???
I rooted all my Custom NCs, & my NC Rainbow Dash too. Would love to do the other six at some point too. They just look better with nylon hair!!! Not to mention tails!!!

Post Merge: October 02, 2022, 12:05:16 PM

also i may be biased or petty bc im a G3 fan through and through, but the insane amount of retro G1 adult clothes or accessories... it permeates everything. why doesn't G3 have anything like that? its so hard to find G3 adult clothing and anything i do find is in toddlers sizes (oh well, they're collectors pieces for me anyway)

I'd love some G3 retro stuff too! :) And G2, for that matter. I LOVE all the retro G1 stuff but it'd be great if the other gens could get some love, too.
THIS!!! So much!!! I tried to get a G2 nightshirt on Redbubble but I think the design is no longer sold as that. I'd love Retro G2 leggings too, & G3 ones
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 12:05:16 PM by Ponybookworm »
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2022, 12:20:58 PM »
Ugh yes I hate the name "cutie mark" too!! I get why they want to have an official name for the hip marks, one they can trademark, but they picked such a lame name...
Come to think of it, same thing happened with Care Bears. Their tummy symbols suddenly became "Belly Badges" didn't they? :X Another stupid name. I wish they'd just kept both as "symbol", I don't think they really needed a special name in the first place. (Ponies spent a good 20-odd years not having to shout about their symbols all the time, why change it? :p)

re: symbols on both sides, I prefer them like that but I've gotten used to them only being on the one side. It bugs me, but not as much as other things do; I can live with the one-sided symbols.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2022, 12:24:11 PM »
Ugh yes I hate the name "cutie mark" too!! I get why they want to have an official name for the hip marks, one they can trademark, but they picked such a lame name...
Come to think of it, same thing happened with Care Bears. Their tummy symbols suddenly became "Belly Badges" didn't they? :X Another stupid name. I wish they'd just kept both as "symbol", I don't think they really needed a special name in the first place. (Ponies spent a good 20-odd years not having to shout about their symbols all the time, why change it? :p)

re: symbols on both sides, I prefer them like that but I've gotten used to them only being on the one side. It bugs me, but not as much as other things do; I can live with the one-sided symbols.

:iconclap:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal