collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Would you debox a G1/G2/G3 pony?  (Read 6915 times)

Offline thecakeissisley

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
Would you debox a G1/G2/G3 pony?
« on: April 13, 2015, 02:31:47 AM »
I'm making this thread because I feel like the majority of collectors would cringe at the idea of taking a vintage toy out of their packaging, however, I think that I would not be able to resist the temptation. Of course if the pony is more rare and expensive, then I'd keep it as an 'investment' and display it in the package. Other than that, what better feeling than to get a, let's say, so soft pony and feel the perfectly soft, brand new, untouched flocking, or take a BNG pony out of their packaging and make the brand new mint hair "grow" by yourself? I'd totally take out ponies that have fragile parts that otherwise would have been lost (flutter wings, flocking, etc.) simply because I love to brush and pet and gently play with my ponies and not just look at them :)

If you got a MOC/MIB pony that you couldn't find at a store anymore, would you open it?

Offline LunaDehligt

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • the fun has been doubled! :D I SO LOVE MY PERSONA!
    • View Profile
Re: Would you debox a G1/G2/G3 pony?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 02:34:22 AM »
I Think i will leave it as a moc or mib. but it depends on which pony it is but im like 99% sure i will not open it :)

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 02:59:53 AM »
Yes. Some MOC G2 ponies are still abundant in numbers. I've only decarded one G1, but she nearly fell off the card herself. Yellowed bubble and a big chunk of bubble missing... However in most cases, I'll probably leave them moc/mip/ whatever.

In the end it's all the owner's choice ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:30:12 AM by Moonbreeze »

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 03:11:56 AM »
I have doubles of many Moc G2s I have had the intention to open some, their cards are not in mint condition anymore or their bubbles are crushed , but so far I have not open any of them, on the other hand I had been forced to open a couple recently due to the unfortunate plasticizer leak on them, had to clean them up and then I put them back in their bubble I did not resealed their bubble because I might have to clean them again later on.
I have resealed G2s that came to me open ,since I did not have that particular pony MOC and that I probably already have it loose.
so I'm more into keeping them MOC and preserve them in their bubble unopened if possible .
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 03:32:50 AM »
I decarded a late G3 Ponyville set, it didn't seem like that particular set would be a crime to debox.  I would be much more hesitant to debox and early G3 and anything from before that though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 04:33:27 AM »
Absolutely. I eagerly await the day I get to open my first G1 pony. I have never seen a brand new one in person.

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 06:05:49 AM »
Yep! Although I'm speaking about G1s-- since I don't care about G2s/G3s. I wouldn't open those since I have no attachments and they are better for someone else.

Quite honestly, when I did open my G1 I had my doubts due to the opinions here. I thought I'd feel guilty and miserable. But you know what... for *me*, it was an extremely enjoyable experience, and quite memorable. It was like being transported through time, and enjoying the magic of opening a pony.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 07:04:01 AM »
well interesting topic  ;) as a MOC/ MIB collector I would say NO!  :lol: because of course I am only looking at ponies in MOC or MIB condition (ok I admit I have also some ponies in loose condition  ;)) .

In fact, if the person really does not take care of having it loose, it is better to let the ponies in MOC / MIB condition to the persons who are really interested emotionnally like me for example.
However you can not force people who have the pony to not open it  :huh: but I would advice them to find one loose if they really want to touch it  ^.^ On the other hand I can also understand people who open their MOC when the bubble can no longer hold the pony or the pony begins to have serious difficulty (sweat) inside it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:06:08 AM by Bibinettepony »
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 07:09:24 AM »
I don't think I would be able to resist the temptation either.  That's why I don't go after them.  If I ever found one in the wild I would sell it and buy a loose one. 

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 07:17:05 AM »
I would never open a G1 pony unless being on card was harming it, like if there was mold growing inside the bubble or something.

Right when I started collecting, but before I had internet access (in the mid-90s) my sister found three of the Baby Rainbow ponies at a surplus store, and I did open them.  Now . . . they are no longer mint.  Near mint, yes.  But not mint.  They've been knocked off shelves a couple times and one of them has developed weird mottling on her symbol.  Their hair never quite looked as good after the first time I ran a brush through it.

I really regret opening them.  When they were MOC, they were special ponies that took me back to the nostalgia of seeing rows and rows of ponies.  Now they are just "nice."  I have ponies I collected loose who look better.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 07:35:55 AM »
Assuming the packaging/pony isn't badly damaged then, NO!  I'm on MOC collector (G1 and G2) and the artwork, the feel, and the look of the packaging brings back waves of nostalgia.  The excitement of opening a pony is so short lived that it isn't worth it to me. 

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 08:21:49 AM »
While I have never done it I can understand why a loose collector would want to debox certain ponies. Some, like So Softs and Perfume Puffs and Flutters/Wingers, are difficult to find in perfect condition  (So Softs with pristine flocking or Perfume Puffs with hair that isn't a matted clump or Flutters/Wingers with intact wings). And sometimes certain accessories are hard to find so a pony that still has them is irresistible. Of course the prices keep MIP G1/G2s out of my hands anyways.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 08:24:44 AM »
I think I would still leave the pony intact-ed if it was a G1 even if she had mold or ect. I think people should try to preserve history even if it means that toy would never be opened. I would say the same for G2s. I used to want to open every pony I encountered. Yet I still managed to keep my September G3 Aster pony in her box. I have no idea maybe im just getting more patient. I love opening new ponies from boxes still. I already have the ponies that are on card loose so I have no intention opening them. (which does it for me.)

Offline BomChorom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 08:38:44 AM »
I think it depends on the pony that's inside. If it was a pony that I had in my childhood and I no longer do. I think if I found one of those in the wild I would totally decard it/take it out of the box. But I would never buy/order something in MIB/MOC state in order to open it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:22:56 AM by BomChorom »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 09:27:54 AM »
Yes, however I don't buy them cuz they are expeeeensive and I want to be a good little pony collector and leave the MiBs for their respective crowds.  :silly:Though if I found a G3 cheap of one I really wanted I'd snag that because they're not as old as G1s.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal