collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Protective case for MOSC G1 Ponies?!  (Read 659 times)

Offline StarSaber

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Protective case for MOSC G1 Ponies?!
« on: October 25, 2017, 06:51:39 AM »
Hey everyone! I haven't been in here in a long time! I can't remember where to post what, so if this is the wrong area, my apologies!

I have a semi-huge problem! I bought a MOSC G1 Sunspot like 15 years ago and I don't know how because it's in a glass display case, the bubble cracked! I'm so saddened by this. I want to buy some protective case for her.  I went to the card/collector stores and all they have is for 6 inch action figures and star wars figures size ones.

Anyone know what case what fit for a MOSC G1 pony?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Protective case for MOSC G1 Ponies?!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 06:59:24 AM »
There are a few sites that make custom protectors, you just provide case dimensions. Some of them have different case styles as well, but most of them look boxy.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline StarSaber

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 07:10:33 AM »
That's probably out of my price range. But, I would like to take a look. What should I google to find one of these sites?

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 07:51:13 AM »
That's probably out of my price range. But, I would like to take a look. What should I google to find one of these sites?

"custom-built display boxes [your location]"

also check out websites that sell displays, plastic signs, etc. 

the plastic on your MOC bubble likely cracked because of age and exposure to sunlight.  the packaging is definitely NOT archival in any way!  Often the bubbles even discolor in-package ponies so check out your pony to see if any of that damage has occurred.  Not much you can do to stop the entropy of plastic... just display her out of direct sun and in the darkest place you can!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 01:00:21 PM »
https://www.zoloworld.com/

http://www.collectingwarehouse.com/Product-Home-Page/Star-Cases-for-packaged-Action-Figures/

I'd looked into it at some point but unfortunately don't remember which site/size.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 02:04:42 PM »
Most of mine live in boxes in my cupboard, and I get them out periodically to (drool over them and) check they are all right. Actually, I have discovered that a good place (so far) to keep them has been in Integrity Jem doll boxes, which fits two adult MOC ponies quite nicely and which also allows stacking and space to prevent too much pressure on the bubbles. I don't have space to display mine in cabinets, but I am a bit paranoid about exposure to the light :/ I also have bubblewrap against the back wall of the cupboard, as I am also a bit paranoid about exposure to cold (it's an outside wall and another cupboard nearby has once succumbed to mould). The mould situation was a perfect storm combination of the cupboard being too full of books and a leaking gutter that somehow came through a crack into the room, and it has since been fixed, but you know, can't be too careful...

Using the Jem boxes also allows air to circulate and I don't keep the doors of my cupboards fully closed very often. So far, no MOC I have has deteriorated in my care (and some of them I have had almost 20 years) but I also live in quite a cool climate, which may be the greater reason for that. In any case, displaying out may be a bad thing for old glue, especially if you live in a warmer climate. If you have a confined case and the air inside it is hot and expands, the bubble may well crack, it might also affect the glue and various other issues can arise other than fading.

I suspect that confinement in a display case may be the bigger part of the issue unless that case is well ventilated, because I have two MOC who are not in the cupboard and which are hanging on my wall. They are pretty much perfect in condition and the colours have not faded, bubble has not cracked etc from being there about two years...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:07:24 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline StarSaber

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 04:20:00 PM »
https://www.zoloworld.com/

http://www.collectingwarehouse.com/Product-Home-Page/Star-Cases-for-packaged-Action-Figures/

I'd looked into it at some point but unfortunately don't remember which site/size.

The zoloworld ones fit! I actually talked to them this morning to confirm. I was hoping to find something in store because shipping is more than the case! lol.

Post Merge: October 25, 2017, 04:21:21 PM

Most of mine live in boxes in my cupboard, and I get them out periodically to (drool over them and) check they are all right. Actually, I have discovered that a good place (so far) to keep them has been in Integrity Jem doll boxes, which fits two adult MOC ponies quite nicely and which also allows stacking and space to prevent too much pressure on the bubbles. I don't have space to display mine in cabinets, but I am a bit paranoid about exposure to the light :/ I also have bubblewrap against the back wall of the cupboard, as I am also a bit paranoid about exposure to cold (it's an outside wall and another cupboard nearby has once succumbed to mould). The mould situation was a perfect storm combination of the cupboard being too full of books and a leaking gutter that somehow came through a crack into the room, and it has since been fixed, but you know, can't be too careful...

Using the Jem boxes also allows air to circulate and I don't keep the doors of my cupboards fully closed very often. So far, no MOC I have has deteriorated in my care (and some of them I have had almost 20 years) but I also live in quite a cool climate, which may be the greater reason for that. In any case, displaying out may be a bad thing for old glue, especially if you live in a warmer climate. If you have a confined case and the air inside it is hot and expands, the bubble may well crack, it might also affect the glue and various other issues can arise other than fading.

I suspect that confinement in a display case may be the bigger part of the issue unless that case is well ventilated, because I have two MOC who are not in the cupboard and which are hanging on my wall. They are pretty much perfect in condition and the colours have not faded, bubble has not cracked etc from being there about two years...
I'll check out the JEM cases too thanks!

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 04:42:46 AM »
What about a shadow box frame? Maybe a local framing shop? We have a shop here called Viking Woodcraft, but they also cut glass. Somewhere like that might have some options. You could even check local carpenters or handymen and see what they think. You could take the dimensions or just your idea into lowes or your local hardware store- those guys are always thinking outside the box, could come up with something really neat!
I don't know if that is at all what you are thinking, but might be worth a shot.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:47:26 AM by Aurora »
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal