collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When your bait turns out to not be bait delima...  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
When your bait turns out to not be bait delima...
« on: November 16, 2012, 08:26:37 AM »
I recently finally found a sitting pose bait (bubbles) I've been looking for one for a long time so I could make a custom of Greek Ladybird for my collection. Although she looked awful in the photos she's cleaned up surprisingly good... So now I'm stuck- I want my Ladybird but shes just to nice to bait :/

What baits have you had that just turned out to nice the use? and what did you do about it?

I'm thinking of trying to trade this girl off for another uncommon bait pose...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:22:32 AM by Sanadaookami »

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: When your bait turns out to not be bait delima...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 09:03:51 AM »
Yeah, when I get one that's too nice, I trade for one that isn't.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »
I had that happen a few times....Most came from Star Warrior's eCrater store :shocked:
Its nice to get better ponies but yea its a dilemma when it was far from what ya intended. Lol Im still trying to get rid of those not so baity ponies that I got XD

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 10:59:58 AM »
I've had that happen a with some sweetheart sisters. I was informed by MadhatterDA while chatting with her via video skype, that the ponies I was dehairing while chatting were some of the harder to find ones.  I hadn't done all of them, but I was basically like "Huh.. Oh well. I like them for customizing" And continued doing it.

In the end, they are your ponies. Only you can decide if finding another pony to replace it is worth the hassle. Or if finding someone to swap you is worth the effort. For me, I didn't feel like bothering, and I was going to make more money off of customizing them, than just selling them, so that's what I did :)

Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »
I would love to have Bubbles!!!  I have a box of G1 baits.  :)
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Whoa1234

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:35:46 AM »
I've bought whole boxes of "bait" ponies only to decide that I can't bait any of them!
Most were integrated into my heard and others were traded for actual bait ponies.

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 11:41:06 AM »
I've had that happen a with some sweetheart sisters. I was informed by MadhatterDA while chatting with her via video skype, that the ponies I was dehairing while chatting were some of the harder to find ones.  I hadn't done all of them, but I was basically like "Huh.. Oh well. I like them for customizing" And continued doing it.

In the end, they are your ponies. Only you can decide if finding another pony to replace it is worth the hassle. Or if finding someone to swap you is worth the effort. For me, I didn't feel like bothering, and I was going to make more money off of customizing them, than just selling them, so that's what I did :)

^^ This is what gives customizing a bad rep.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 11:47:33 AM »
No need to turn this into any sort of argument. It was an honest and non confrontational, empowering opinion.

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 11:53:52 AM »
*glances over at her collection* yeah.... this is how I gained about 100 ponies in the last 6 months @_@

I buy huge lots of baits, they look terrible in the pictures, and when I get them, they're practically perfect and the few marks and frizzy hair they have brush out and clean up really well and I'm like "@_@ I can't bait these...."

I never planned to start collecting MLP ponies... it just.. happened cause once I cleaned them up, I couldn't let them go.

however the G3 ponies, don't care what condition they're in, their automatically baits, I don't plan to collect them, and pretty much all of the ones i get are not even remotely rare so I don't give a flying fig about them lol XD I do always check ebay for prices onthe G3s before I start baiting them out though and if I find one that's pretty high priced, I check to see if it's rare, it's only happened like once though and I traded it for a baity version of that same one

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 12:41:25 PM »
For me personally it's hard to justify baiting a harder to find or popular pony in good condition when with a bit of extra effort I can find one in the same pose that's less rare or in worse condition. So that's my personal stance when I find myself in situations like this.

I suppose there will always be a difference of opinions between pony collectors (or those that want to show they respect the value of these collectible items) and people who are just in the business of customs.  But I think Hanna is right that the "I'll do whatever I want" sort of attitudes, especially when voiced very publically, do cast a negative light on the customizing community. There are a good number of people who have a bad opinion of customizers because they think that as a whole we just grab up ponies without taking the time to find out if they are valuable or if they'd have been well loved in someone's collection. Posts about this issue have come up before, with both sides getting pretty heated about it. But I know for a lot of customizers that's the opposite of the truth. Many of us are collectors ourselves. Or, because we spend so much time in this lovely community of collectors, we'd would much rather see a G1 pony go to a collector than just bait something that's so irreplacable. So while no one can tell anyone what to do or not to do with their ponies, whenever anyone states that they have baited or plan to bait ponies despite the value collectors place on them it can cause a lot of trouble and hurt feelings.

So that said, I think it's very respectable that Sanadaookami has taken that into account and has posted that she doesn't feel comfortable baiting this particular pony. Sana, I have a baity bubbles (I think, if not I know I have seashell) I'd be happy to trade  ^_^

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Well said NoDivision. Every pony entering my house- bought for bait or not gets a chance at the spa and basic restorations~ I have received many ugly ducklings that have left my hands as unexpected swans- personally I will only bait the non-salvageable. But I do respect peoples rights to do what they want with there ponies :)

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 11:43:46 AM »
Sanadaookami, thanks for asking. I do hope you leave Bubbles as she is or trade/sell her to someone who will love her! I think it is wonderful that you don't want to bait a nice pony, particularly a G1. Great attitude!

This makes me really, really sad. :/ Suppose you end up customizing a pony that is worth more than customizing it would make you?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 12:05:29 PM by PinkRosedust »
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 01:36:33 PM »

This makes me really, really sad. :/ Suppose you end up customizing a pony that is worth more than customizing it would make you?

I'm in the minority, but I agree with Maniah.  If I've bought an Ebay or Goodwill lot of ponies of any generation, they are mine to do with as I please.  I'll check and see if there's anything rare and/or valuable (and if it is, I'll keep it for myself), but unless it's something that's going to net me more than what I could get customizing it, it's going in the bait box without a thought.  I don't have the time to set up auctions and/or sale threads for these hidden treasures that might get me $15 if someone buys it, nor do I have the storage space to keep them when they're not sold, when I could mod it and get $60 easily.  I certainly wouldn't do it to something like Mimic (even if I think she's overpriced and ugly), but I'm not against doing it to something that's never going to sell.

Offline Ambar

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 08:31:25 AM »
i´m partially  with Maniah too, when we buy  in lot, normally is for baits; then we found that they are much better than we expected and maybe decide to don´t customize it,but have all the right to make all we want with them.

Sanadaookami, thanks for asking. I do hope you leave Bubbles as she is or trade/sell her to someone who will love her! I think it is wonderful that you don't want to bait a nice pony, particularly a G1. Great attitude!

This make me sad to me !!!!! Great attitude? what that means?

i think also that the bad rep for customizing is because they don´t understand us or respect the fact that we have the right to do what we want with the toys that we buy with our money. Let´s see, a father of a child buys a pony, with the time it will be a hard to find , the child plays and plays with it, the poor pony finished with hair cuts, eyes and symbols faded and some stains because she wants to give her  more color, so....why nobody is annoying with that? (she destroy it and there is not a way to restore it) the answer is because it is only a toy, and is made to play with it. honestly i don´t respect a g1 just because it is a g1, normally they are in the worst shape and have the worst issues, i just respect any pony when it is in perfect condition, even if is g3. Normally i trade  or store until I feel confident to customize it,
if i´m on the dilema, i´ll search for one similar, but at the end the decision is and will be only mine

And commonly the price you get is higher than if it was sold as it was, as an example anchors away (30 USD) if i turn her in a butterfly custom 50 USD (but i don´t do that because i like  my original as it is lol)

So MLP toys born to be toys for little girls who would use them and sometimes destroy them. Then the collectors came....and then customizers. Everyone must to respect each other and don´t belittle one expression (artistic or not) just because don´t understand it

Offline MoonHawke

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Gaming is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »
So far I haven't had too much of an issue with this. It has actually only been with ponies that I've bought from arena members that I've set with my collection, instead in the bait box.

I had bought them with the idea of customizing them (like Sweetie Bell) but after buying a lot of ponies from ebay in worse shape, I decided to set them aside. I considered using Sweetie Bell for a custom swap, since I decided I wanted a unicorn and she is the only one I have... But I just couldn't bear to bait her.  >_<

I'm not saying I'll never bait her, or the few others that I've set aside, but I figure that I have plenty of other ponies in worse shape. I would rather save the nice ones for when I get better at customizing.
Wishlist: Cherry Blossom :heart: Fairy Dust

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal