collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Several customizing questions  (Read 775 times)

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
Several customizing questions
« on: March 03, 2012, 08:58:42 AM »
So, I was awake all night last night from not feeling well, and my mind wandered from sheep to ponies.  (couldn't possibly be because I got 4 in the mail yesterday, could it?)  I have myself four pretty little bait bodies, all waiting to be done up nicely, and my conundrum right now is the following questions.

1.  Sealing the pony? 
I have heard several different sides to this; some say yes, some say no, some say just the cutie marks.  I would rather seal it than have the paint chip (I'm a rather clumsy pony owner at times, I am ashamed to admit).  Now, on the topic of sealing it, I have heard Modge Podge does well.  My next rounded question to that is, if you use MP, do you use gloss, or the matte, the spray, or the glop-in-a-jar?  Does it have to be a specific type of MP?  Do you do the whole body, or just the mark?

2.  Rhinestones?
I have seen rhinestones on the ponies, and I was curious what people were using, and what they were using to keep them on?  I have quite a few clear ones left over from my veil project, so I am tempted to use them, but I want them to stay on.  Do I need to seal them as well? 

3.  Gluing the head?
Is it really necessary, or can it be skipped?

4.  Nail Decals?
I have heard it before, don't use nail polish...but no one says anything about those cute little decals...has anyone used them before?  Refer back to question numero uno, if yes.  ;]

5.Dyeing the pony?
I've heard several different variations of this as well. When you dye the pony, do you immediately dunk said victim into vinegar, or just let it sit?  Do you use salt, and if so, what kind?  How do you do that, just make ocean water and baptize the bald, scalding, freshly recolored pony in it?

If i happen to think of the other questions that were nagging at my mind, I will add them to here as I go.  =]

Thanks ahead of time for the help guys!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:12:47 AM by TexasGal »

ZettaMomo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Several customizing questions
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:48:18 AM »
For sealing the pony I use Mod Podge, but I water it down. I use the paint on kind. I have both the glossy and matte kind. I have found that I like using matte for most of the body and then using the glossy kind for eyes and symbols.
The only issue I have really found with it is if you don't water it down it can make the pony a bit sticky after a while.

And for dying may I suggest this tutorial? http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-dye-my-little-pony
I had issues with dying a pony the first time and then I followed this tutorial and the dye turned out perfectly.

I'm not too sure about some of the other questions, but someone probably knows much better than what I can offer.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »
So, I was awake all night last night from not feeling well, and my mind wandered from sheep to ponies.  (couldn't possibly be because I got 4 in the mail yesterday, could it?)  I have myself four pretty little bait bodies, all waiting to be done up nicely, and my conundrum right now is the following questions.

1.  Sealing the pony? 
I have heard several different sides to this; some say yes, some say no, some say just the cutie marks.  I would rather seal it than have the paint chip (I'm a rather clumsy pony owner at times, I am ashamed to admit).  Now, on the topic of sealing it, I have heard Modge Podge does well.  My next rounded question to that is, if you use MP, do you use gloss, or the matte, the spray, or the glop-in-a-jar?  Does it have to be a specific type of MP?  Do you do the whole body, or just the mark?

I have seen people do just eyes and cutie marks, I have seen people do the whole pony for a sense of continuity.  Generally the most popular are testors dull cote (no shine, thin layers, natural look) and mod podge (watered down).  I use matte.  I have both the bottle and the spray on (spray on make the paint look darker in my opinion and it's hard to get it even).  I have also used americana both multi purpose and satin varnish both of these took a bit of paint up and I had to be careful not to let it mix.

2.  Rhinestones?
I have seen rhinestones on the ponies, and I was curious what people were using, and what they were using to keep them on?  I have quite a few clear ones left over from my veil project, so I am tempted to use them, but I want them to stay on.  Do I need to seal them as well? 

I use superglue for this kind of thing or press them into the sculpting if I am using an air dry clay if they have a flat back.  Just have to be careful not to let it spill over.  If it's a jewel style I know many people drill or dig a little gouge so it is inset and looks less bulky.

3.  Gluing the head?

Usually only done when the neck plug is damaged and it will not stay on with normal methods.  This is often the case with G4 since their neck plugs are so fragile.  Most people I believe would rather not glue them on.

4.  Nail Decals?
I have heard it before, don't use nail polish...but no one says anything about those cute little decals...has anyone used them before?  Refer back to question numero uno, if yes.  ;]

I have seen people use decals and temporary tattoos with varying success.  If you search I think there is a topic about it up right now.  They do need to be sealed but it has a nice look.
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,286553.msg47309.html#msg47309

5.Dyeing the pony?
I've heard several different variations of this as well. When you dye the pony, do you immediately dunk said victim into vinegar, or just let it sit?  Do you use salt, and if so, what kind?  How do you do that, just make ocean water and baptize the bald, scalding, freshly recolored pony in it?
Most people use rit dye.  But I have not so I won't comment much.  There is also a board up about the long term effects of dyeing.  They can fade or become blotchy over time.  We are talking years here.  Most ryt dye the pony must soak in the boiling pot for a bit.
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,287927.0.html

If i happen to think of the other questions that were nagging at my mind, I will add them to here as I go.  =]

Thanks ahead of time for the help guys!
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline RevRuby

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • PonyPony
    • View Profile
    • http://revruby.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:34:53 PM »

1.  Sealing the pony? 

i only seal the whole body if i do a FBR, full body repaint. i've been known to leave matte peices un sealed completely. i use an acrylic sealer, not modpodge, as many ppl i've swapped with complain it doesn't set and will be sticky in their climate, i use satin for most things, gloss for some, and triple thick for eyes. not triple thick gloss, it's a brand of varnish int he craft store.

2.  Rhinestones?

i order flatbacks in various sizes from artbeads.com and secure with super glue

3.  Gluing the head?

if you don't remove the plug on g1, 2, 3, or 3.5 no you don't. in fact if you follow okiegirl's tutorial on g4 head removal and keep the g4 plug mostly intact you don't have to glue that one either. sometimes i put a lil lump of apoxie under the g4 plug in the body to feel secure when putting the head back on.

4.  Nail Decals?

people use them but i think it's better to practice your painting and not rely on quick fixes. practice makes perfect and you cant practice if you avoid.

5.Dyeing the pony?

i dye in boiling water, reduce the heat and let her soa if i want a rich color. i rinse in cold cold water and then soak in vinegar and cold water over night.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ask me how to get a coupon to my etsy shop! it's EASY!
thank you to RobinHoodFan for my avatar!

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 05:27:59 PM »
1.  Sealing the pony
I always seal my custom paint jobs, but I don't use Mod Podge after mishaps caused by (I think) humid weather, and some streakiness from not thinning it out first. I use DuraClear varnish, usually in matte unless I want a shinier finish for some reason. The varnish is just a little thicker than water, I just paint a thin layer on. The thicker the layer, the shinier it is, but the longer it takes to dry. The paint can still chip a little after applying varnish, but its MUCH more waterproof. I cover any part of the body that I've painted.

2.  Rhinestones
I usually use rhinestones that come with adhesive backs; they're easy to find. Its fine to glue them on, I just have to be more careful not to use too much glue or it gets gloppy. With both, I attach them after I've sealed the pony, because they look better if you don't put sealant over them, plus its really not necessary as long as you're careful handling them.

3.  Gluing the head?
The only heads I've glued are ones where I had to because I ripped the neck so it wouldn't snap back in. In those cases I used krazy glue. Superglue wasn't quite strong enough.

4.  Nail Decals?
I haven't tried one yet, but I'm thinking of trying a temporary tattoo thing on my next custom. In this case, I'd also try and seal it so it doesn't peel off, but with a very VERY thin layer so the tattoo is not damaged.

5.Dyeing the pony?
I've never dyed a pony body, but I have dyed the hair. Salt helps a little with retaining the color, in my opinion.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »
Thanks ladies!!  I had the same questions about stones and necks. 
:socks:   :frog:

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 09:46:56 AM »
Yes, this has indeed been very helpful.  I think I might pick up the gloss and matte modge podge at walmart for the eyes, and maybe the symbols, and grab some sort of acrylic sealer as well.  I haven't seen any in the craft area, though I might take a look again today if I go by there.  I have my symbol bases painted on with white (going to go over them in color later), and the eyes are done...not very satisfied with the eye decorations on the outside, though.  Idk if I want to change it or not.  >.>  might post some pictures later and see what everyone thinks. 

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 08:30:35 PM »
1.  Sealing the pony?
I seal all my ponies with Mod Podge matte (but don't forget to water it down, or it will basically act like glue).  If I do an FBR, then the whole pony gets it and I go back later and put glossy on the eyes and sometimes the symbol too.  If you just did a symbol, then I don't really think it would be necessary to seal the whole thing.

2.  Rhinestones?
I've used them on 2 customs.  I buy those little swarovski crystals with flat backs and then glue them on with a little dab of some superglue-y type substance that's marketed as "rhinestone glue" lol.  I seal them on with glossy.

3.  Gluing the head?
I never do this unless I had to cut the neck ring out.  I like being able to move the heads.

4.  Nail Decals?
Never tried this one, but I know that others have.

5. Dyeing the pony?
It's been over a year since I dyed a pony, but I used the same tutorial that ZettaMomo posted.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:44:54 PM by ZennaBug »

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal