collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What to do when an Ebay seller doesn't respond?  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
What to do when an Ebay seller doesn't respond?
« on: August 30, 2016, 07:51:57 AM »
Hello,

At the very beginning of this month before all my Paypal drama started I won a few cheap auctions on Ebay. I was looking for 3 Ponies which I wanted to upgrade. Mommy Bright Bouquet, Baby Shaggy and Lickity Split. All the auctions were discribed as (no haircuts, no missing plugs etc)I just got them a few days ago. But upon receiving them I noticed several flaws right away except for Baby Shaggy. Mommy Bright Bouquet was all good except that she was missing 1 hairplug at the lowest part of the mane. But Lickity Split (which I was very excited about cause her hair was still pink) She ended up having a trimmed fore lock, her tail is uneven and she has a cut lowest hairplug as well as a missing one.

I contacted the seller, but she/he hasn't responded back. It's been several days now. I paid 11 dollar just for Lickity as winning auction. (She was the most expensive one from all the 3 that I won).

What should I do in this case? I have no experience when it comes to this with Ebay.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 07:54:56 AM by Pierlala »
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What to do when an Ebay seller doesn't respond?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 08:17:16 AM »
I generally sent 3 messages to a seller, each 4 days apart. If no response is received my 4th attempt at contact is to start going through Ebay's process of opening a request following with a case if needed.

I may modify slightly based on situation, but it's generally pretty close to that. I try to make sure I've given the seller ample time to respond because sometimes stuff happens. So far it's only escalated to opening a case once - although in 2 days that may be twice.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 09:15:18 AM »
Mommy Bright Bouquet was all good except that she was missing 1 hairplug at the lowest part of the mane. But Lickity Split (which I was very excited about cause her hair was still pink) She ended up having a trimmed fore lock, her tail is uneven and she has a cut lowest hairplug as well as a missing one.

I contacted the seller, but she/he hasn't responded back. It's been several days now. I paid 11 dollar just for Lickity as winning auction. (She was the most expensive one from all the 3 that I won).

Photographs? How did LS's forlock look in the auction? was it cut to the scalp? or just "too short"?

If I am visualizing what you are describing these flaws could likely all be from the factory, and pretty common. so being upset with the seller may not be overly appropriate (even though it is upsetting wanting perfect ponies). (and these flaws are typically not described in ebay listings, especially if it was someone's childhood ponies. If they knew for a fact they never brushed the hair or went near any with scissors they say "No hair cuts/trims" even though some may appear that way.

most to least seen (in my experience) as factory flaws
-uneven tail (half is longer) is the way the tail is inserted into the pony (half going in further giving the shorter length portion), or when it was cut at the factory it was at an angle. some baits without haircuts I kept tails from have off center clamps.
-missing, messed up, or short/cut bottom plug
-short forlock. I even had some sealed items that the forelock is significantly shorter then others of the same pony. I tend to notice it more if the mane is rooted further down her forhead then normal.

If you plan to be a highly highly picky collector you really ought to stick to sellers who provide a high number of detailed macro photographs showing all angles of a pony and ones who write novels for descriptions, or with plenty of detailed photographs to study. There is a VERY high number of various factory flaws. heads not aligning, eyes/blush symbols  not aligning, hair too short, with crooked or gloopy paint in places, over-spray of blush, excess glue on the neck seem or gloops of glue in places they shouldn't be. too much hair rooting in one-plug creating a knot, loops in the mane of plugs not fully out, an empty plug (often at the bottom), a small spec inside the plastic body (little dark grey flecks that won't wipe off), uneven pigments.

Most people selling something on ebay they expect to get $5-$15 before fees will NOT spend a couple hours on that one piece getting it listed -scrutinizing it with a magnifier glass / light, write a highly in depth and detailed description of every detail, and photobooth and upload a dozen high end photographs. They would then be paying people to take their stuff with that time investment on top. And, kind of unfortunately for those of us who are picky about them 30 years later the reality is these toys were cheap, "disposable" and mass produced for the day (also in the 80's was a big time of upheaval for regular folk. for a significant portion, high inflation/% rates, poor economy/jobs,  etc. so things needed to be cheap enough for people to buy them) to have consistently produced toys of perfect collector quality they would have had to retail for at least $30 per piece in today's dollars. Many MLP's hovered at around $8-10 dollars per pony in today's figures.

something I really shell out for (high priced mail orders) I do wait for "those people" the highly detailed ones. otherwise I will only pay a price I can easily pass on the pony myself if a factory issue means I don't want it. (obviously if something arrives reeking of mildew/cigarettes/ pen marks hidden from the auction that is different) otherwise I have slowly built up my with lot auctions (that end cheaper per pony all in- even accounting for the extra shipping and customs I will pay) that appear brighter and clean and not really played with in photographs. any that don't meet my personal standards are passed along, and I am not out any money in the end. It's a really slow process being a picky collector getting one of each the way you would like.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:17:18 AM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Pierlala

• View Profile
Re: What to do when an Ebay seller doesn\'t respond?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 09:41:34 AM »
Mommy Bright Bouquet was all good except that she was missing 1 hairplug at the lowest part of the mane. But Lickity Split (which I was very excited about cause her hair was still pink) She ended up having a trimmed fore lock, her tail is uneven and she has a cut lowest hairplug as well as a missing one.

Photographs? How did LS's forlock look in the auction? was it cut to the scalp? or just "too short"?

If I am visualizing what you are describing these flaws could likely all be from the factory, and pretty common. so being upset with the seller may not be overly appropriate (even though it is upsetting wanting perfect ponies). (and these flaws are typically not described in ebay listings, especially if it was someone's childhood ponies. If they knew for a fact they never brushed the hair or went near any with scissors they say "No hair cuts/trims" even though some may appear that way.

most to least seen (in my experience) as factory flaws
-uneven tail (half is longer) is the way the tail is inserted into the pony (half going in further giving the shorter length portion), or when it was cut at the factory it was at an angle. some baits without haircuts I kept tails from have off center clamps.
-missing, messed up, or short/cut bottom plug
-short forlock. I even had some sealed items that the forelock is significantly shorter then others of the same pony. I tend to notice it more if the mane is rooted further down her forhead then normal.

If you plan to be a highly highly picky collector you really ought to stick to sellers who provide a high number of detailed macro photographs showing all angles of a pony and ones who write novels for descriptions, or with plenty of detailed photographs to study. There is a VERY high number of various factory flaws. heads not aligning, eyes/blush symbols  not aligning, hair too short, with crooked or gloopy paint in places, over-spray of blush, excess glue on the neck seem or gloops of glue in places they shouldn't be. too much hair rooting in one-plug creating a knot, loops in the mane of plugs not fully out, an empty plug (often at the bottom), a small spec inside the plastic body (little dark grey flecks that won't wipe off), uneven pigments.

If a person discribes the Pony as (not haircuts) I expect it to have no haircuts. Which means the person atleast inspected the Pony before claiming this. How else would he/she know it hasn't been cut?

Second. I am not really bothered by the tail, cause it looks okay. I think the tail may have been pulled out a bit so one side is longer then the other. But I do care about the mane. As it's pretty obvious. However on the pictures it didn't show.

I will show some pictures below.

Tail is uneven:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The forelock is trimmed. The picture doesn't show it properly, but irl you can see it has been trimmed. Also, mising hairplug and cut hairs in her neck:

Post Merge: August 30, 2016, 09:47:48 AM

Btw it was 13 dollar not 11.

These are the pictures that I took of her. These are NOT the Ebay pictures.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:47:48 AM by Pierlala »

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 10:08:51 AM »
If a person discribes the Pony as (not haircuts) I expect it to have no haircuts.

I wouldn't expect that honestly. My collecting standards are high.  I have bought from many sellers on ebay that say ponies don't have spots, don't have missing plugs, don't have hair damage, no marks and other damage.  90% of the time when I receive the pony they have one if not a combination on many of those things.  I just don't think a lot of people are looking at the pony closely and listing very quickly to get it done.  Either that or they are using one photo to sell another pony that isn't the same one as in the photo.  It takes too much time that many don't have, but there are sellers that do this and I would buy from those sellers since that is what I began to just start doing.  I know the sellers to avoid if I am looking for Near Mint.  We should be able to get the pony condition we want. It is getting harder though to find them NM.

Oh and that tail problem is a typical factory issue where that bracket pin thingy that holds it together doesn't get placed right in the middle of the hair and so half is longer than the other.

I also agree that forlocks come in all kind of lengths factory I have noticed.  It is possible a seller would not see it as a cut forlock.

Action:  Case opened: Item not as described; quality doesn't match the description. Provided that these things were not visible in the photographs.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:18:00 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 12:47:50 PM »
If I am visualizing what you are describing these flaws could likely all be from the factory, and pretty common.

Exactly my thought! And after seeing photos, yes, that looks like factory flaws on the LS and missing the last hair plug is a common factory flaw too. Please link to the eBay auctions because so far I don't see a reason for complaint, especially on common, low value ponies (yes, $13 is low value).

You seem to be new to collecting vintage toys, if you want what I call "factory mint", meaning absolutely perfect, you need to do as FF said earlier, buy a bunch of the same pony and pick out the best one (can take years!), only buy from sellers with extremely detailed photos and write ups (They will ask for top prices in exchange for their effort) and be patient! If you want to be extremely picky, ask questions BEFORE you bid. Some collectors have customizers touch up good condition ponies to make them like factory mint, a customizer can fix the hair and touch up paint or blush or whatever made the pony not perfect. You will pay for that service too.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 12:49:43 PM »
I think some of those things you mention could be factory flaws especially the hair missing out of the hair plugs. I never cut my ponies manes or tails growing up but it's not unusual for a hole to be skipped at the factory when the machine was rooting the hair.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline jrr74

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 01:24:12 PM »
If it has only been a few days, I would do was duenia suggested, and send another message.  Sometimes that first message gets missed or maybe they were gone over the weekend.

As for LS tail, rotate it so that the longer half is at the top of her rump, that should help minimize the unevenness.
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 02:08:16 PM »
LS has hasbro original hair to me. This is not an at home haircut.

I forgot to mention in my first post, but (fortunately or Unfortunatly depending on which side of the eBay coin we fall on) a buyer is allowed to return a product for a refund just because. don't need a reason. So simply being unhappy you can return these ponies to the seller for the item price back. eBay sellers are forced to take returns.

also, sometimes a seller misses my first query, I don't know if it's the occasional glitch, or someone forgetting to respond.  after a couple days of no response send another message. they are almost always responded to.

*edit to add*
I was looking for 3 Ponies which I wanted to upgrade. Mommy Bright Bouquet, Baby Shaggy and Lickity Split. All the auctions were discribed as (no haircuts, no missing plugs etc)
I believe I found the original listing. it matches yours (as well as the same bidder also won this seller's mommy bouquet and baby shaggy). While you can return it (not exactly kind/morally fair to seller), or leave less stars/FB feedback for this seller (highly unreasonable to seller here)- there was nothing said about plugs on this listing. The listing is accurate to what you received.
"Vintage My Little Pony - Lickety Split - Nice condition, still pink hair, no hair cuts. Couple light marks, may come off."
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-My-Little-Pony-Lickety-Split-/152188866947?hash=item236f29d183%3Ag%3Aj6gAAOSw-YVXnpMO&nma=true&si=tIpClVEzMXYXs3QU5NSv6QwwGxM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:53:53 PM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Pierlala

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 03:13:15 PM »
It seems almost like it's a sin to discribe flaws on a Pony that you bought and ask for advice.

I disagree that it is as what was discribed/shown. The cut hairs at the bottom of the neck weren't shown in the pictures. And the listing stated no haircuts.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 03:15:17 PM »
yes, the listing stated no haircuts. this pony does not have a haircut. it's typical wonky factory hair.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 03:28:26 PM »
These ponies are 30+ years old. You are not going to find a perfect one! Most come with flaws straight from the factory! I agree with FF here. If you are not happy, just wait a couple days and try to contact the seller again as was suggested. They may be away. If a week passes and still nothing, that's when you can go ahead and start the process for your return if you insist on doing that.

Then when you go hunting for a new pony, go searching through listings with lots of photos, a good clear description and ask questions. That way if the seller doesn't respond you know their communication is not good from the beginning and you can avoid them.

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 05:14:02 PM »
It seems almost like it's a sin to discribe flaws on a Pony that you bought and ask for advice.

I disagree that it is as what was discribed/shown. The cut hairs at the bottom of the neck weren't shown in the pictures. And the listing stated no haircuts.

You are asking for advice and just don't like the advice given.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »

Most people selling something on ebay they expect to get $5-$15 before fees will NOT spend a couple hours on that one piece getting it listed -scrutinizing it with a magnifier glass / light, write a highly in depth and detailed description of every detail, and photobooth and upload a dozen high end photographs. They would then be paying people to take their stuff with that time investment on top. And, kind of unfortunately for those of us who are picky about them 30 years later the reality is these toys were cheap, "disposable" and mass produced for the day (also in the 80's was a big time of upheaval for regular folk. for a significant portion, high inflation/% rates, poor economy/jobs,  etc. so things needed to be cheap enough for people to buy them) to have consistently produced toys of perfect collector quality they would have had to retail for at least $30 per piece in today's dollars. Many MLP's hovered at around $8-10 dollars per pony in today's figures.

SO MUCH THIS. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 06:26:44 PM »
Perhaps vintage MLP is not the right hobby for you since this has now happened multiple times. While its fine to be a picky collector, you need to be reasonable. These toys are nearly antiques. Its honestly amazing that any of them even still exist MIB/MIP, mint, etc. Not understanding and refusing to accept that factory flaws happened is really just entirely unreasonable. You shouldn't be punishing sellers because you don't ask any questions or don't buy/bid on ponies with extremely detailed photos & descriptions. You got exactly what was described in the 1 sentence description and 4 imperfectly lit photos.

If you want to be a picky collector you need to put effort into it. Ask questions, do a lot of research, only buy from fellow collectors with highly detailed descriptions/photos, etc. Don't just buy any random pony, make assumptions about their condition, and then punish the seller for your own mistake.

Maybe high end custom ponies or a collector-aimed toy line would be a better fit for you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal