collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Just a general curiosity please explain?  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
Re: Just a general curiosity please explain?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 03:15:51 AM »
Smart buyers and traders will always want references and pictures. It's always been that way, and not just here. Remember that you're sending money to a stranger. Don't you want to be sure that you're not being scammed? The arena is huge. Most people here are good, but a bad person might register to cause trouble once in a while. That happens on any forum. Trust me, the bad people will slip and get caught.

No offense to you, but you're new. Don't you think it's normal for people to ask you for your references? You haven't been around very long or posted very much yet, so you're still a stranger. If you stick around and build a good reputation, things will seem easier. But, again, that's true for anywhere you go.

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 03:22:46 AM »
I don't think asking for pictures or feedback from another source is being paranoid or skiddish.  It's called being safe. Also when you have several people requesting additional information from you and you are not providing it, it looks suspicious. If you had provided said information then most likely folks would be more apt to work with you. It's nothing against you, it's them protecting themselves and their fellow collectors around them, especially when you have items listed that have not even hit the retail floor.  :)

Exactly this.  ^
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 03:48:43 AM »
As someone who is in the thick of the "Funko Fiasco" my recently being scammed isn't going to keep me from trading or selling to other newbies, mostly because I feel I did everything i could to ensure the glitters were real. I asked for photos and references, spoke to her a bit, and took the leap of faith. I know when I first started I had to sell things at a great loss in order to establish a good reputation, and I've worked hard to maintain that reputation.
Providing photos of your products, or links to a photobucket or other picture account where the pics can be seen, is one way to start. Purchasing items from others is another way. Purchasing combined with trading helps, too...you buy something from someone and also ask "Hey, i have the "whatever" would you also trade your "whatever" for it?" Rack up some posts and show an interest in what is going onm in the Arena so people can get to know you and what you're all about. Many people don't trade for the pony, but because they like the PERSON behind the pony!
You'll get there, it just takes a while to make friends and gain a reputation...same as anywhere else :hug:

GustySunshine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 04:36:52 AM »
I think I may of just worded things wrong in my first post. I didn't mean everyone on here was out to get me or accusing of anything at all. I just wondered if something previously before I joined had negativly affected the community in general but if I'd of just come to this thread I'd of caught up I guess, lol.

There's nothing wrong at all asking for photos I do that myself. I also provide them to anyone before I sell and I provide proof of shipping ect. I know it seemed odd about the new Funko ponies since the technical street date for both is AUG 18th but my friend who works that the Hot Topic close by did get me a few from the backroom that they are holding even if it meant costing her job. That was probably bad but that's her move I just opt'd to buy them.

Just wanted to clear that up and appreciate the advice :3

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 01:10:14 PM »
This is a community of pony collectors, and the main focus has always been the trade, sale, and purchase of MLP items.  Wherever money or valuable goods are exchanged there will be scammers and thieves.  The pony community has an almost 20 year history, and we've had scammers trolling the community since day one.  We've seen it all over the years, and generally we're pretty good at outing people who come in wanting to steal from us.  It's not paranoia, it's common sense and watching out for each other.  We talk to each other, and there are people that dedicate a lot of time trying to keep the members of this community safe from scammers.  A smart thief with some new tricks and a bit of luck may succeed for a short time, but they do get found out pretty quickly here.  We've had some pretty bad ones try all sorts of tricks, and the community as a whole does not tolerate that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 11:45:18 PM by goddessofpeep »

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »
I doubt Gustysunshine is concerned anymore, she apparently found a buyer for all of her merchandise overnight. Well done! Wish I was as savvy at selling!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Stormpony

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 10:42:23 PM »
noticed more often than not many members on here seem skiddish or paranoid especially when it comes to buying or trading. Could someone please explain what has happened to make things this way? I mean no offense at all but it's a shame :(
If u read what she says correctly she says more often than not, which makes perfect sense

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 03:46:49 AM »
Personally I agree with what has been said, I am very cautious due to being scammed twice on an app in the last year, by different people, and a couple of close calls, or things arriving considerately different condition wise to what was stated.

I do suggest if you trade/sell here, photos are essential, and to prove it is you, hold up a card with your selling name in the background, that makes it safer for the most :)

And honestly, don't worry about it, I think in today's internet based economy, everyone is a little cautious, it isn't a bad thing either. :)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 10:53:04 AM »
Not responding to requests for references, pictures or prices on the sales thread is a super giant big red flag.  So is having hard to find items for sale almost immediately after joining the Arena.

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 06:03:33 PM »
I started out on the arena with no feedback anywhere. No ebay, etsy, nothing. It took selling small cheap items with lots of photos and very open communication to build up a good reputation. I will admit, I'm a little more wary since the Funko Kerfluffle is the first time I've been scammed in the pony community, but we've all been new at some point. I will be willing to give newbies a chance again.

That said, on first blush your thread did have a few red flags. A lot of rare items, many of which exclusive or haven't even been released in stores or on Taobao yet, no links to feedback on other sites, no asking price, no details on conditions of the items (which for some collectors is very important!), and no pictures posted publicly. Public photos of your items instead of asking people to personally contact you in private is a much more common practice.

Good luck with your sales. Hopefully there's some good info for you to get you started.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Duster reference]

Loups

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 05:21:09 PM »
Huh. I was going to buy several items from Gusty. Not sure what to think of all this. Can't even send a PM now. :/ So is she suspended or something?

It's always hard on any new forum. I mean, I can tell you that I was crucial to a group-buy of PKE Meters from mattycollector.com a few years ago* and that I've traded with many people I now consider friends on other forums, but that's not really going to help me on a new forum is it?

But I do agree with what others have said. As people on another forum I frequent say, "pics or it never happened!" ;)

*That's genuinely true by the way, I'm not kidding! If you don't know what a PKE Meter is you need to obsessively... urm, I mean watch Ghostbusters! :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal