collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cancelling ebay bids...  (Read 1477 times)

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Cancelling ebay bids...
« on: July 20, 2012, 06:29:15 PM »
Does anyone know how to cancel an ebay bid?  If you do this, does it hurt your feedback?  Is there some kind of penalty?

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
Re: Cancelling ebay bids...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »
There is no fee penlites but it does show on your record or it used too and some sellers will block you from bidding on there auctions for doing so.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Katai

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 06:45:51 PM »
YEah you can contact the seller to do it. But honestly as an ebay seller it really is annoying for us. Some folks won't do it to. Its up to the seller.

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 08:04:58 PM »
Bid retractions? You can technically do them, but it is seen in very poor taste if you don't actually do it for one of the approved reasons. Also, if you abuse it, they can revoke your bidding abilities. And, you can't do it in the last 24 hours of an auction, unless you literally just placed it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »
I'm going to move this to TS for you.  :)

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 09:23:11 PM »
I panicked and bit on several on ebay.  I have been outbid on most, but there are two ending in less than four hours that I am winning plus two others.  Now I am regretting bidding, and worry that I might get stuck paying for multiple overpriced ditzy's.  This whole situation is making me crazy.

Is this why you want to retract your bids? If so, then no, it's not a legitimate reason to do so.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 01:21:04 AM »
Yeah. It sucks if you bid on multiple items but you committed to paying for them when you clicked the bid button. Regret is not a legitimate excuse to retract a bid.

You can always try reselling them for the same amount you paid or close.

Post Merge: July 21, 2012, 01:27:32 AM

I might add that if this is in fact what happened, and the sellers are members here and they discover it, they would be within their rights to report you to the bad trader list. You really risk damaging your reputation.  Your best bet would be to communicate with the seller and be honest about what happened and see If they will let you out. If the bidding went well they may be willing to accept a second chance offer from someone.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:28:51 AM by Maniah »

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 05:56:17 AM »
I panicked and bit on several on ebay.  I have been outbid on most, but there are two ending in less than four hours that I am winning plus two others.  Now I am regretting bidding, and worry that I might get stuck paying for multiple overpriced ditzy's.  This whole situation is making me crazy.

Is this why you want to retract your bids? If so, then no, it's not a legitimate reason to do so.

If that's the reason, you could always pay for them if you win them, then resell them on the arena.  But canceling from regret is a terrible way to go - it makes you look poorly.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 07:55:32 AM »
Canceling bids is one of the worst things you can do as a buyer on Ebay. It shows that you have no problem backing out and is impulsive in a bad way.

Hell, I impulse bid as well too. But you have to stand by it. That's the point...

Offline hokuspokus

• Undiscovered 8th pony in the 7TALES series
  • Trade Count: (+108)
  • Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 03:05:20 PM »
But what if you type a wrong amount of money?

Like, for example, you want to bid 10,20 dollar but instead of the ',' you type '.' I know my dad has had this problem a few years ago, it showed up as a bid of 1020 instead of 10,20.... on some ebays you type . on others , so thats an honest mistake in my opinion.

Oh well - like i said this is from several years back so maybe ebay took care of that

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 03:09:18 PM »
I'm curious as to why someone would type an ammount with a comma instead of a decimal point. Does that do something special?

Offline ristvak

• Trade Count: (+88)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »
Typically outside of the US they use a comma instead of a decimal in currency amounts ;) I see it a lot with international sellers even here on the Arena.

::edit:: And in that case hokuspokus I'm sure you could explain the situation to the seller and they would be understanding :)
If you haven't received feedback from me, give me a nudge!

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »
But what if you type a wrong amount of money?

Like, for example, you want to bid 10,20 dollar but instead of the ',' you type '.' I know my dad has had this problem a few years ago, it showed up as a bid of 1020 instead of 10,20.... on some ebays you type . on others , so thats an honest mistake in my opinion.

Oh well - like i said this is from several years back so maybe ebay took care of that

Ebay allows you to change your bid if you notice your mistake. You go to change your bid and then Ebay tells you to replace the CORRECT bid as you meant to type it. No harm no foul.

Edit to say, and yeah the decimal thing I think is mostly American. I know all of Europe writes it with a comma instead. Not sure about other countries.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 03:48:23 PM by RockinPrettyBeats »

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 04:54:08 PM »
Does anyone know how to cancel an ebay bid?  If you do this, does it hurt your feedback?  Is there some kind of penalty?
As a general rule, No. 

However you can if you have a valid reason for doing so.  It has to be because you entered the wrong amount (but in this case you must reenter the correct amount). Or the seller has significantly changed the item's description, such as condition or features while bidding was taking place.

Just for the record changing your mind is not a valid reason for retracting a bid or bidding on more than one of the same item.  I am not sure if this is the case but it is not a good habit to get into.  I know it can get exciting when you really want something but it hurts the seller and other bidders when this sort of thing takes place.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 05:01:31 PM by ponylady »
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 06:58:56 PM »
I cant add anything else to what has already been said TBH.  I know we can all regret an impulse bid or two every now and then, but you shouldnt back out because you bid on too many items. If you end up winning muliptles I'm sure you will be able to resell them . Better to do that than try and cancel the bids ;)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal