collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My adventure of customs continues...plus a question  (Read 414 times)

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
My adventure of customs continues...plus a question
« on: September 28, 2012, 08:04:05 AM »
Ok, as I mentioned last time I am working on creating Batman themed ponies for my hubby's b-day present. I have so far created my very first custom the Riddler.  Recap...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Now I have finished my second pony.....Harley Quinn! The Joker's Girlfriend!

Now for a question....I was planning on doing the blue version of batman using a Denim Blue as the base pony. But my hubby has mentioned that he wants a Dark Knight Batman, which is the one in black....Any ideas on a pony to use for a base on this one? I was trying to stay away from dying pony hair, and I have never rehaired a pony at this point...but I guess there is always a time to learn to do these things, but I do not want to rip the heads off the ponies if I can avoid it, because I feel G3 ponies damage easy when the head is removed....Any thoughts??
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Re: My adventure of customs continues...plus a question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 08:18:19 AM »
There are no G3s with black hair sadly.  You could chose yellow hair in a pinch, as Batman often has hints of yellow (though not Dark Knight I think).  You could also remove the hair completely (close trim and a black sharpie in a pinch, can't vouch for the technique myself).  If you have any sculpting material (like sculpey) you could cover the plug holes with sculpt.

Offline Izrabeth

• Mrs Johnny Depp
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 08:28:41 AM »
Harley Quinn is pretty!
As for black hair, true, there's no pony with that color. Why damage the heads?
It is not much time I customize but I don't find rehairing really hard, there are very nice tutorials to follow  :) Try it, I personally find rehairing the most fun part

Offline PaintedHooves

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • Dayna's Custom Ponies
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 12:50:42 PM »
A tip for not damaging a G3 head while still being able to rehair:  Find a G3 who's head turns :)  So long as there isn't any part of the pony that lights up and her head turns, its super easy to get the head both in and out.  Just give them a good tug after soaking the pony in some hot water. :)  Rehairing is actually really quick and easy if you use a reroot tool.  I just made one myself with a thick needle and an exacto blade handle :)  Take a look at some of the tutorials in the posts at the top of the customs board, they'll help you quite a bit.  Depending on where you live, dollyhair.com mylittlecustoms.com or one of the retrodolls websites will be able to get you the hair you need :)  I know there seems to be a shortage of black nylon hair, but DH promised she'd have more in soon :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal