collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Am I the only one who has never seen any gen's show as "A blatent comerical"?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
This will be long for some, I deeply apologise, and hope you understand.

Before any one says so, yes I realize that Hasbro do want to sell toys, and yes I realize that the shows are advertising the toys in the sense that, if someone saw a pony (or something else) that they liked, they'd want it, and Hasbro know this, obviously, but I have never bought into the view that that's all they were; just a commercial to sell toys, with nothing else to them.

What I basically mean is, I have seen people talk about My Little Pony (mostly pre-FIM, and I'll argue about that later) as if is nothing more than a show where they just show their latest toys, in cartoon form, and don't bother with the actual show itself, i.e. they don't care about the animation, voice, or storyline or anything - they just care about showing viewers what their latest pony, and playset looks like, creating an excuse to show it, and not bothering with the storylines, or creating relatable characters themselves.

I disagree to this; I do see how any generation (including G4) can be used to encourage its viewers into buying the toys, but I always felt it was done in a subtle way, and not in a ♫"Buy all our playsets and toys!"♫ kind of way, like everyone seems to say when they look back on MLP.  Basically, it doesn't seem forced down our throats as everyone says, not that there weren't some moments, and even then, it seemed like they at least tried to make them fit in to the plot.

Take G1; The most blatant form of advertising it did (and not everyone would realize that, that is what they were doing) is that when the show first started they kept replacing characters so they could keep up with the toyline (which in hindsight was kind of silly, and they mostly realized it even before G1 became Tales), but even when a pony was "at risk" of being a one shot character, the main ones had enough of a personality to be more than just a talking commercial (perhaps too much of a personality in places; some one shot characters looked like set-ups for a later episode - Ember springs to mind here.) Other than that, everything that got introduced seemed to fit in to the show, it wasn't like they just advertised it once, and then didn't bother;  For example, the My Little Pony movie (which my friend gave me recently, and I love it) was apparently criticized for being nothing more than a commercial for Flutter Ponies, and Paradise Estate.  Now, why they were certainly introduced in the movie it's not like they weren't ever used again, nor is it like they weren't given a reason to exist in the movie itself.  Finally, everything else that happened in the movie was enough so that the movie didn't look like a commercial, it could have easily been just a show, not a show based on a toyline, and no one would have noticed the difference.

Tales actually had more show original ponies than toyline ponies, and most of the toyline ponies made sense in the show's storyline; The main characters were part of the "7 Friends" toyline, the Glow and Show Ponies were "magical" enough for their "out of this world" appearance, the Rockin' Beats (who didn't exactly resemble their toys) appeared whenever the show needed a band... it wasn't blatant advertising it was just including ponies they already "had" in a sense, and Tales actually had less toyline appearances that G4, which is supposedly less of a commercial...

G3, from the look of it is a good attempt of what G1 should have been in terms of wanting to keep showing different ponies, yet (unlike G1) manages to retain a more "main cast" feel.  While Tales, G3.5, and G4 clearly do have a main cast, G1 and G3 do not (though G3 semi has one, as certain ponies were shown more than others, and G1 also attempted this toward the end of its run).  However, G3 does what G1 probably should have done if it really had to keep replacing ponies, and that's include the ponies it wasn't using in the background, and also alternate the main characters rather than just replace them all together - it looked like a real world in a way, when a character wasn't in the spotlight, she still existed.  G3 probably had the best method of advertising with in its show, it managed to include enough characters in the show without having to get rid of a ton to do so, which is where G1 failed in that respect, in my opinion.

But am I saying that G3 is nothing more than a blatant commercial?  Absolutely not, I adore G3, and find it to actually be very heart-warming with very relatable characters and storylines, and like all generations, it never looks like is forcefully showing you all the things you can buy.  Even when you can guess that there has to be a toy of it somewhere, it always fits in to the show, and one could easily be fooled into thinking the show came first, and the toys were based on the show.

Also, I saw someone say that A Charming Birthday was "clearly written to sell toys", can anyone please explain how he or she arrived at this conclusion?  The only "commercial" part I saw was that each character was introduced very clearly, and that was obviously more due to the fact that it was the first episode, more than the actual toyline - it was an "introduction" episode, the same way G4's pilot was.

I need to refamilliarise myself with G3.5, it's been a while since I watched any episodes.

G4 or Friendship is Magic is once again viewed as the exception to the rule, but that once again is for one main reason; the fans thinking this haven't looked at the older generations enough to realize that FIM is no more a blatant commercial, and no less a blatant commercial that the others; in that it clearly advertises, in that Hasbro know if we something we like, we buy, but has more to it than that. 

So yeah, I don't see it.  Sorry about this post, I realize it was long.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
When I see people say that MLP shows are "a blatant commercial" to me it doesn't mean necessarily that they are written poorly or are frivolous, but that they exist to sell the merchandise.

There are many cartoons out there where the cartoon was invented first, and the toys came after, when the cartoon got popular enough. Executives see that the cartoon has a following and they think "Oh, we can make some extra merchandise and kids will buy them because they like the show." This is not true with cartoons like MLP. For MLP, the toys came first and the cartoon came later, not because the cartoon was popular (though like with FiM it can easily become a very popular show) but because Hasbro wants to sell the toys. Toys that have a cartoon for children to connect to just sell better than toys without such a connection.

Does this mean that shows that are "a blatant commercial" are bad shows? No. It also doesn't mean that there's no thought put into the characters, storylines, setting, etc. It just means the show exists only because the toys exists, rather than visa versa. The show got made because Hasbro wants kids to connect to the toys. The cartoon sells the toys. The cartoon is a 20-min commercial.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Sukeile

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Dancing through life, Brainless and careless
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
I can say from what I remember as a kid the stories truly moved me and alot of the times I did'nt even know there were products to be bought to go with them.
My first pony was Clover and I got her before Tales aired in Sweden.
I remember being excited to see her on the show but I don't think I ever considered that the others were available to get as well, atleast not till I was older ( and too insecure to say I still wanted ponies)

Still enjoy the stories and honestly I wish that Tales would have been MORE of a commercial, they never even made toys of the boys or the families in that show ( which is sad because I want them! XD )
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by Griffin. Carebear by MistyBlue2010 and Pony by Lina. Thank you <3
Join My Little Pony Facebook group!/ My Wishlist/ My Etsy/  Polly Pocket Locket

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
With Hasbro using FIM as an excuse to re-release the same stuff over and over again, one would think FIM is the best commercial out there. Produce less new stuff and still have people eat it up. Pretty brilliant really.

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
Sweetie Belle's Gum House Surprise
That is all.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
I started collecting My Little Pony before there was a cartoon, or at least before I ever saw it - ya know some people need to be reminded, this was back in the day when a lot of people could only get a few TV channels, there were not 500 channels and no internet available. Not everyone had access to watching the specials or cartoon when it first showed up.

So technically I can say I liked ponies without the influence of the program or other people bombarding me with visual MLP information; like what we have online now.

I was exposed to the toy before the cartoon so it didn't really play a part into me collecting or liking MLP.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
When I see people say that MLP shows are "a blatant commercial" to me it doesn't mean necessarily that they are written poorly or are frivolous, but that they exist to sell the merchandise.

There are many cartoons out there where the cartoon was invented first, and the toys came after, when the cartoon got popular enough. Executives see that the cartoon has a following and they think "Oh, we can make some extra merchandise and kids will buy them because they like the show." This is not true with cartoons like MLP. For MLP, the toys came first and the cartoon came later, not because the cartoon was popular (though like with FiM it can easily become a very popular show) but because Hasbro wants to sell the toys. Toys that have a cartoon for children to connect to just sell better than toys without such a connection.

Does this mean that shows that are "a blatant commercial" are bad shows? No. It also doesn't mean that there's no thought put into the characters, storylines, setting, etc. It just means the show exists only because the toys exists, rather than visa versa. The show got made because Hasbro wants kids to connect to the toys. The cartoon sells the toys. The cartoon is a 20-min commercial.

I agree here.  The only reason why the shows exist is to sell toys.  They want the shows to be engaging to seal the deal so they hire people who are reasonably good at creating a story and then dictate what toys need to sell. 

On the other hand, there is no reason why anyone who works on these projects wouldn't love doing it and want it to be successful.   I love my job and no matter what it is, I put my best into it.  I'm sure the show creators and even the toy creators feel proud when someone compliments their work.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
Life is a blatant commercial, enjoy what you want and do not over think it.  You shall live longer that way. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I feel the same way! To me, calling something "a blatant commercial" means it has little value or purpose outside of being an advertisement, or at very least, that it's *obviously* an ad first and anything else an afterthought, and for the most part, I don't see that as the case with the MLP cartoons (well, G1 and G4...I've seen almost nothing of the G3 animations, so I can't comment on those). Maybe that's not what others mean when they say that, but that's always been my understanding of it, since what makes it "blatant' or obvious if not some sort of lack of quality or effort? A cartoon in theory could be subtle, not "blatant," in it's purpose of selling toys. Or maybe I just don't see it because although I had the toys first, I became a fan through MLP & Friends and didn't even know the things and characters in the cartoon existed as toys. But then, like I said, if it were "blatantly a commercial," I think I would have figured this out sooner. I don't think I was that dense.

polar

• Trade Count: (0)
I pretty much agree with what Diamond and Elisto said.

In the most non-insult way I can say this - I really don't think anyone here actually knows what they're talking about. And MJ it doesn't look like you grew up with what most of us here did. You can study up on anything, but you cannot replicate an experience.

Put yourself in a child's mind. These toys are not for us now, remember. What child would not love to see their favorite toy characters come to life so they can develop deeper relationships with them and see how they interact with others? And what child would not love to see a fun episode from a show they love and then be able to take it home and play with that set and make their own adventure? IE, A Very Charming Birthday. If anything I saw G3 as a commercial, or more like a desperate attempt to salvage what was left of a simmering toy line.

Commercial or not, Hasbro has given us some of the best memories of our childhood because we fell into their "trap". They have created an alternative to cut-and-paste toys and shows and have also created a piece of collector history.

I'm sorry you or anyone sees something (that you claim to love even) so negatively. Remember.. Hasbro, and nothing of our fandom, owes us anything. So just enjoy it.

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I don't really care if they are commercials or not. *shrug* I enjoy them and I enjoy ponies.

Offline Sukeile

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Dancing through life, Brainless and careless
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
I'm sorry you or anyone sees something (that you claim to love even) so negatively. Remember.. Hasbro, and nothing of our fandom, owes us anything. So just enjoy it.

I don't think OP was being negative at all.

I grew up loving ponies but my family did not have a TV till I was 10, then I saw the show and fell in love with the different series as well.

For me, I feel OP is right in saying that even though the series were created for commercial purposes; the stories still had depth and value beyond that.

Sounds pretty positive to me :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:04:29 PM by Sukeile »

Avatar by Griffin. Carebear by MistyBlue2010 and Pony by Lina. Thank you <3
Join My Little Pony Facebook group!/ My Wishlist/ My Etsy/  Polly Pocket Locket

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
well, i am with diamond on this.
everything you see on tv is to make money, there are jobs behind it and people work hard to get thier paycheck. ;)
you can also see the toys as a commercial for the show. ;)

i don´t think it takes the messages from the show just because people get paid for thier work on the show. and i personally like it if a show or concept is available on many "layers" like, music, show, toys, apparel, electronics and so on. ^^  i like to have symbols of characters and themes that make me happy around me,  so why not on my socks?

yay for merchandise!
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden

I don't really care if they are commercials or not. *shrug* I enjoy them and I enjoy ponies.

What was said above; my view will be based on G1 only. Yes, they are commercials, not peerless works of art. However, My Little Pony was not made for the 20-something me so I don't think it's a very good starting point to judge anything.

The cartoons worked for me as a kid, both as stories and as commercials. If memory serves, I was introduced to the (G1) show before the toys, and it must have been the show that taught me to recognize and appreciate authentic My Little Ponies. Even if this is probably what Hasbro intended, it would be absurd to hold it against them because both the ponies and the show gave me some great childhood memories. I don't really see a need to analyze it any deeper.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 08:56:39 PM by mul-ta »

Offline Falconaitae

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
I wasn't looking at FIM as a toy commercial, and then I ended with a house full of ponies... so it's a damn effective commercial after all^^
As for G1 also, first was the show (on video tapes^^), ponies came later - and after quite a lot of begging :P And obviously as a kid I didn't look at it as a commercial, such things were totally above me. That said, it was a good show for a kid, it was fueling my imagination and gave me a lot of fun. Making my parents spend money on simple and at these times overly expensive toys was just a side effect :P
My pony blog
It's better to be a famous drunkard, than an anonymous alcoholic

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal