collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Villain toys  (Read 2710 times)

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Villain toys
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 09:05:55 PM »
I think at the time of G1 Hasbro didn't really care about the cartoon as long as it drove toy sales, so they didn't feel the need to bring the animated episodes into the toyline and just opted for the standard conventions of combs, accessories or outfits while the animated ponies were all about adventure and peril. Which is kind of a shame since I'm sure at least some of the girls would probably love to have their ponies battle toy versions of Grogar or Tirac or Lavan. Heck, some of the female villains could probably work well as regular girls' toys, I'm pretty sure Reeka and Draggle would make cute rag dolls, or maybe something closer to the regular MLP toyline like a brushable Porcina.
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 09:13:36 PM »
I think at the time of G1 Hasbro didn't really care about the cartoon as long as it drove toy sales, so they didn't feel the need to bring the animated episodes into the toyline and just opted for the standard conventions of combs, accessories or outfits while the animated ponies were all about adventure and peril. Which is kind of a shame since I'm sure at least some of the girls would probably love to have their ponies battle toy versions of Grogar or Tirac or Lavan. Heck, some of the female villains could probably work well as regular girls' toys, I'm pretty sure Reeka and Draggle would make cute rag dolls, or maybe something closer to the regular MLP toyline like a brushable Porcina.

I always thought Reeka could be a great cabbage patch custom. She looks like one.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 09:16:25 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2020, 12:52:06 PM »
I think the G1 show would have been better if it had recurring villains.  They can do a bit more with the villains if they're regularly appearing characters instead of one-offs.  Like G1 Transformers didn't have to pause to explain why Soundwave had smaller robots stuffed in his chest;  kids watching the show knew that he turned into a tape player and was full of casseticons.

Tirek or Grogar would have been great "regular" villains.  Or Catrina;  just have her run away plotting revenge at the end of EfC instead of doing a heel-turn.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2020, 01:00:47 PM »
To each their own, but I don't mind Monster-of-the-week approaches. We got variety.

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2020, 01:38:00 PM »
(on that note the one Custom I'm most likely to commission is of G3 Spike).

Fun fact! When I was a kid in mid-g3, I sent a letter to Hasbro recommending they make a Spike toy. I cited their past Spike toys from G1, and probably noted that I thought a single boy might be nice. I got a letter back on Mr. Potato Head stationary thanking me for my interest and letting me know that product design is a lengthy process with a lot of different inputs (in other words, “No.”)
Not happy at Hasbro for that!!!
They were at least nice about it. Getting a reply at all was really neat!
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2020, 03:02:34 PM »
I like Tirac better as a one-off (I feel like he'd have lost something if he was a recurring villain).. not sure about Grogar... but idk why they never brought back the witches. They'd be perfect recurring villains.

I like the villain-of-the-day thing too, though. Like LaW said, the variety was nice ^^ But I do wish Catrina and Rep had appeared again.. I love those two.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2020, 05:05:14 PM »
Probably they just figured they wouldn't sell well.

I all of the 1980s villain toys that I can think of- are to this day, the lowest in value and least desired- then AND now.  Coldhart figure for Carebears, Evil Scowlene for Moondreamers,  Purple Pieman and Sour Grapes for Strawberry Shortcake... pretty much any "girl toy line" I can think of.  EXCEPT Lady Lovelylocks villain-  Duchess Ravenwaves.

Why?  Because those first mentioned baddies were ugly and/or super unappealing.  I mean come on- what kid wants to play with these hideous and deformed looking dolls?

On the other hand, Duchess Ravenwaves- a bad guy doll that was prettier than the protagonist- sold (and still sells) JUST FINE. Everyone wants her.

So the lesson is-  unattractive unappealing bad guys probably won't sell well.  But cool looking or appealing attractive baddies do just fine.

I think if they had made Catrina a nice looking toy- she would have sold like gangbusters.  Or even Tirac.  But probably not that witch or her daughters... (sorry forget their names).

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2020, 06:00:00 PM »
I was thinking of Scowlene too, hehe. I like her, but I can see why she wouldn't be popular x) and yeah, I was already thinking that the witches probably wouldn't be big sellers unless they "prettied" them up a bit (not that I'd want that, but, y'know).

It sucks to remember, but ultimately Hasbro are gonna go with what'll sell best to the general public (and what parents'll buy their kids... you know how silly some parents can be), not just us collector folks. (Although, hey, Hasbro, if you're reading this and looking for ideas on collector toys to make... ;))

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2020, 08:19:47 PM »
Purple Pieman!  I loved him as a kid, and as an adult I'm sad I sold him in my college years.

I would also like to give a shout out to Nastina from Rose Petal Place.  She was a fabulous doll that I had forgotten all about, and also one who was really fun to play with.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 08:26:55 PM by Aeryala »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2020, 10:00:56 PM »
I found Scowlene at a thrift store a few years ago and her sculpt is amazing, a work of art.  I can see why kids would choose the pretty dolls over her gnarled form, though!

Totally agree that selling a conventionally attractive villain is going to attract more kids than a grotesque villain.  Hasbro didn't have any problem selling Cobra toys or Decepticon toys, because their villains aesthetically matched their heroes.  The witches were not toys I would have gone for as a kid, their designs are gross (intentionally, to easily convey to kids that they're evil).  But I would have bought Grogar, Tirek, Catrina, or even Nightshade if they gave him a symbol. ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:05:14 PM by LadyMoondancer »

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2020, 10:14:14 PM »
I was thinking of Scowlene too, hehe. I like her, but I can see why she wouldn't be popular x) and yeah, I was already thinking that the witches probably wouldn't be big sellers unless they "prettied" them up a bit (not that I'd want that, but, y'know).

I think that Reeka and Draggle dolls could probably work if they were sold as a "Garbage Pail Kids" thing where a toy is supposed to be visually unappealing, there were lots of those in the 1980s.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2020, 11:42:18 PM »
I found Scowlene at a thrift store a few years ago and her sculpt is amazing, a work of art.  I can see why kids would choose the pretty dolls over her gnarled form, though!

Totally agree that selling a conventionally attractive villain is going to attract more kids than a grotesque villain.  Hasbro didn't have any problem selling Cobra toys or Decepticon toys, because their villains aesthetically matched their heroes.  The witches were not toys I would have gone for as a kid, their designs are gross (intentionally, to easily convey to kids that they're evil).  But I would have bought Grogar, Tirek, Catrina, or even Nightshade if they gave him a symbol. ;)
You mean like this???
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2020, 05:59:50 AM »
Ohhh, that custom looks great!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2020, 08:35:02 AM »
Purple Pieman!  I loved him as a kid, and as an adult I'm sad I sold him in my college years.

I would also like to give a shout out to Nastina from Rose Petal Place.  She was a fabulous doll that I had forgotten all about, and also one who was really fun to play with.

Fortunately you can get him back for about $10-

The grotesque villains certainly have more appeal to adult collectors, and the rare kid. Although I know my sisters and I did NOT care for Purple Pieman. 

I guess its kinda problematic that they tend to make villains for little girl shows ugly distorted characters when in real life, the worst villains usually have a pleasant exterior.  (With the exception of Lady Lovelylocks).  Kinda taught the wrong lesson.  ALthough I guess shows back then were more about selling toys than teaching lessons...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2020, 09:04:19 AM »
Tbqh villain toys are often less likely to be made in girls and boys toylines. With Joe, Transformers and Jem being some of the exceptions.

Post Merge: March 10, 2020, 09:13:20 AM

Fortunately you can get him back for about $10-

The grotesque villains certainly have more appeal to adult collectors, and the rare kid. Although I know my sisters and I did NOT care for Purple Pieman. 

I guess its kinda problematic that they tend to make villains for little girl shows ugly distorted characters when in real life, the worst villains usually have a pleasant exterior.  (With the exception of Lady Lovelylocks).  Kinda taught the wrong lesson.  ALthough I guess shows back then were more about selling toys than teaching lessons...

There are plenty of creepy/ugly villains in boys and gender neutral franchises whether they were made into toys or not as well.

Most of the Captain Planet villains. The villains from C.O.P.S., He-Man, ThunderCats, David the Gnome.

And there are some nice looking or cool looking villains in all three.

She-Ra, JatH, G.I. Joe, Rainbowbrite, Care Bears,  MLP n Friends. ATLA, TLoK, Transformers, Gargoyles.

Some villains are just plain looking or goofy looking. Rainbowbrite, Phineas and Ferb, Codename: Kids Next Door, Gummy Bears, The Wuzzles.

It depends on the art style and general tone of the show I think.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 09:19:53 AM by Leave a Whisper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal