collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

thoughts on the SDCC exclusive?

want the pony & spike
want the doll
want both
don't want either
*shakes fist @ hasbro!*

Author Topic: SDCC exclusive - EXCLUSIVES ON HASBRO TOYSHOP  (Read 44267 times)

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC exclusive - EXCLUSIVE REVEALED!!! Page 26
« Reply #675 on: June 25, 2014, 05:06:02 PM »
There's some debate as to which year is the actual 30th.  Some pony collectors counted 1982 as the first year(My Pretty Pony came out that year, and I think some of those came with a regular sized Butterscotch), but Hasbro seemed to consider 1983 the official start year.

Either way the 30th Anniversary is over, and Hasbro completely ignored it.  Completely.   I was at SDCC both possible years, and there was nothing at all that even remotely mentioned the 30th Anniversary.  Transformers has been getting some fun releases for their anniversary(and think it's been going on for more than one year), but last year's big thing for ponies was Equestria Girls, and even that wasn't done well.  The pony section of the Hasbro booth was pretty pathetic last year. 

Offline Heliodor

• Sorcerer Prince
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 25, 2014, 05:13:23 PM »
Signed in just to comment on this... I don't like the SDCC exclusive at allllll it is so ugly!  :( I am so bummed.

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 25, 2014, 05:14:18 PM »
What do we as collectors have to do to get the same respect the Transformers collectors get for exclusives? Does Hasbro not even care about us anymore?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #678 on: June 25, 2014, 05:26:05 PM »
There's some debate as to which year is the actual 30th.  Some pony collectors counted 1982 as the first year(My Pretty Pony came out that year, and I think some of those came with a regular sized Butterscotch), but Hasbro seemed to consider 1983 the official start year.

Either way the 30th Anniversary is over, and Hasbro completely ignored it.  Completely.   I was at SDCC both possible years, and there was nothing at all that even remotely mentioned the 30th Anniversary.  Transformers has been getting some fun releases for their anniversary(and think it's been going on for more than one year), but last year's big thing for ponies was Equestria Girls, and even that wasn't done well.  The pony section of the Hasbro booth was pretty pathetic last year. 

I never knew there was debate on the year MLP started. And I thought My Pretty Pony was 1981. To my knowledge it was never advertised as a My Little Pony, though the logo looks relatively the same except for the text on the box being Pretty instead of little. A lot of us consider it the original MLP because it's what hasbro first produced. There is also a pink/peach version of My Pretty Pony.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

popyduggan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #679 on: June 25, 2014, 05:29:45 PM »
It would've been cool if they made a G1 Yearbook like the Transformers set, but have 30 BB figures instead. They charge $9 for 3 packs though, so it'd probably cost $280+s&h.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 05:38:26 PM by popyduggan »

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 25, 2014, 05:33:39 PM »
What do we as collectors have to do to get the same respect the Transformers collectors get for exclusives? Does Hasbro not even care about us anymore?

99% of bronies will by anything that faintly resembles a G4 pony,  and also the fact that Hasbro tends to spoil their boy brands much more.

Offline Lunar Dust

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 25, 2014, 05:38:46 PM »
I like both but not sure why either was picked. Both are cute but I am passing on both. To much money for the pony and Spike Figure and I only collect some Equestria Girl dolls and would only spend like $20 at the most for her. Hasbro really needs to think better when picking exclusives.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 25, 2014, 05:42:40 PM »
I could have the years wrong(it could be 81 as far as I know, but I thought regular sized Butterscotch came out in '82.  I'm bad with the MLP years anyway.).  I was in the community when there was a lot of discussion about *exactly* which year was the anniversary(it was the 20th at that point).  Some people counted the first year My Pretty Pony came out as the first year, some people had other arguments for why a different year should be considered.  It's all a bit hazy since it's been so long, but I think it was generally agreed back then that the clock started counting when Butterscotch was released.  A lot of people were interested because some big anniversary ponymeets were being  planned.  It was a huge deal in the pony community, and everybody was really excited back then.    I think a particular date was also agreed upon as the 20th Anniversary celebration day, and ponymeets were held all over the world.  I can't remember the exact details though, it's been too long.  However, Hasbro seems to have considered 1983 the official anniversary since they did the "Year of Celebration" for the G3s in 2008(25th anniversary according to Hasbro), and they released the Collector's Sets reissued ponies that year.

Either way Hasbro missed the boat totally on the 30th Anniversary for MLP a while ago.  We're not getting anything anyway, so the exact dates probably don't matter as much.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 05:54:24 PM by goddessofpeep »

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 25, 2014, 05:44:55 PM »
Makes sense they'd choose a comic book villain for a comic book convention. I won't be buying it, not my thing.

I'm most disappointed in how much the exclusives seem to bring out fights and finger pointing. It's been so consistent the last two SDCCs I could set my watch to it. The exclusives have been turning me off for completely different reasons than just "do I like it" and it's pretty sad.

Duster reference]

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 25, 2014, 05:56:43 PM »

99% of bronies will by anything that faintly resembles a G4 pony,  and also the fact that Hasbro tends to spoil their boy brands much more.

As a non brony, I would appreciate something that caters to older collectors, too. Hasbro manages to do similar things with their Transformers line, why not MLP?

Offline Spectrum

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 25, 2014, 06:07:40 PM »

As a non brony, I would appreciate something that caters to older collectors, too. Hasbro manages to do similar things with their Transformers line, why not MLP?
Hasbro stopped caring about previous gen collectors after G3, sadly. The fact that we don't even get our own fair exclusive proves it.

Offline MoonShadow

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Youtube!
« Reply #686 on: June 25, 2014, 06:11:48 PM »
Not what I was hoping for, but better than expected! lol!  Last year's DJ set the bar waaay low.  I truly wish the pony had the same brushable hair as the doll.   The price is kinda ridiculous -- after all, this is basically Luna with play doh hair and a repainted Spike from the coronation car set ($10 Value Tops).  Regardless, I'll probably pick them up if I can get them for 'retail' on HasbroToyShop after the convention.

To be honest, I'm just happy the characters have not already been released 500 times.  I wonder if Hasbro will ever break the bank and make some male 3-4 inch molds or reuse Shining Armor...

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 25, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »
Form a massive army that would put Lord of the Rings to shame march on Rhode Island.  Hasbro answers to sheer numbers.

If collectors made a custom G1 pony to sell at the fair (I would personally like to see Rainbow Dash remade as Wind Whistler but Rarity remade as Glory and Moondancer are also great ideas) and it sells well, it might convince them to cater to older fans.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Spectrum

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 25, 2014, 06:19:28 PM »
While the custom that's gonna be made this year is just a fair-goer made thing, I think next year we could possibly convince the fair staff to ditch the SDCC ponies and add different cutie marks that represent where the fair was located, like Frisco and Trolley. Probably be cheaper to do as well.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #689 on: June 25, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
I want to bring some of my customs to the fair but I won't be selling
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal