collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Are you a MOC/MIB/etc collector?

Yes, I love to keep them pristine for all time.
49 (12.3%)
Yes, but maybe just a few special ones.
123 (30.8%)
I would have a hard time keeping them that way, so I'd pass.
54 (13.5%)
I do collect them but I take them out of the package. *ducks fakies*
28 (7%)
I would *only* let them out if the package is in shambles or suchlike.
38 (9.5%)
No way! Let them run wild and free.
107 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 307

Author Topic: Do you like keeping/collecting ponies in their original package?  (Read 10645 times)

Offline NinaMarie

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • NinaMarieCrochet - Cute & Floral Crochet Accessories
Re: Do you like keeping/collecting ponies in their original package?
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2012, 05:48:11 PM »
I got into collecting when 3rd gen started. I'm the kind of person who wants to play with their toys. I knew they could become as collectable as the first gen but they are toys and toys are meant to be played with. Of course I made sure to save all the original packaging just in case. I have the 25th anniversary repro 3-pack of Snuzzle, Blossom, and Minty that I never opened. And the very last pony I bought before deciding as a poor college student I shouldn't spend money on ponies was the 25th anniversary Wysteria with cascading cutie mark, i never opened though I'm not sure why..

I tell you though, I may think toys should be played with but it nearly killed me to let some younger cousins play with any of them because "only I know how to brush their hair just right" :lol:  The collector in me

Now that they are no longer the sold in stores version if I happened upon some G3s still in their box i'd leave them that way.

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2012, 05:57:07 PM »
I let them free! That said I only collect G4 so I don't know how much it really matters....There are certain ponies I might consider keeping MIB if I got them but I like my ponies out on display.
If I ever came across a MIB G1 though.. actually I'd most likely take it out and keep the packaging. Of the pics of MIP G1 I see mostly the packaging looks kinda old and icky so I'd want to take it out.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:24:08 PM by 3377345 »

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2012, 06:12:49 PM »
I got two mib gen 3 but knowing how plastics can react negatively with each other i take them out for their sakes but keep the boxes nice.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2012, 07:22:48 PM »
If I were to find a G1-G3 in a box, and the box was in a good condition, I'd keep them in it. If the box was ruined, I'd take them out, and put the box someplace else. As for G3.5 and G4, I take them all out.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »
I'm typically not an MIB collector. My husband is keeping the Fluttershy I bought him MIB and she's the only MIB pony in the house.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2012, 08:22:08 PM »
If I have the opportunity to get a MOC G1 for a great deal then I will. I adore having them in the original packaging. I think it's really cool!
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2012, 09:59:54 PM »
Yes, I've run out of room for my G1 MOC collection and have started putting nails in the wall to hang them on to save space :P My den is going to look like a toy store soon. Also had sizable G2 and G3 MOC collections and have sold most of them, as I've decided to focus on G1 and G4. I have every non-exclusive G4 MIB ( and I'm only missing 1 exclusive loose). I also have all of the Fashion Styles loose and MIB, because they are my favorite G4's :)

I'm never tempted to de-box. If I want a pony loose that I already have MOC, I just buy it loose. I see no sense in de-boxing and therefore devaluing!

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2012, 10:01:21 PM »
Most of mine are opened.  I don't have the room to display them MIB, and besides, I love playing with the hair! :)  I do keep special ones in the package.  Like all my fair, comic con, and other special edition ponies, the Core-7 inspirational ponies, and my birthstone pony.
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2012, 10:32:55 PM »
Not me.  I think it would be too tempting to open them up and brush the hair, so I just buy my ponies loose.  They like to BREATHE!  The only pony I would ever want MIB is Little Flitter.  Some day.  I have 10 loose, so I think I could handle leaving one in box.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Water_Fire

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2012, 11:52:19 PM »
Oooh no, I could never keep my ponies in their boxes! I know it's daft but I find it a bit sad, because if they're in their boxes they can't play with the other ponies!

Toy Story clearly stuck with me as a kid.

For this reason I would never buy a G1/2 that was MIB, I know they're really valuable that way and other collectors would kill me if I opened them, haha!

Xaniss

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2012, 12:14:35 AM »
I *mainly* collect G1's (though some G3's have squirreled their way into my home :P ) but no, I won't debox either generation I own... simply because they aren't made anymore, thus no more chances of getting them MOC.

... I'm never tempted to de-box. If I want a pony loose that I already have MOC, I just buy it loose. I see no sense in de-boxing and therefore devaluing!

Hear hear Babystarz!! I second your logical thinking!  ^.^

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2012, 02:04:40 AM »
I *mainly* collect G1's (though some G3's have squirreled their way into my home :P ) but no, I won't debox either generation I own... simply because they aren't made anymore, thus no more chances of getting them MOC.

... I'm never tempted to de-box. If I want a pony loose that I already have MOC, I just buy it loose. I see no sense in de-boxing and therefore devaluing!

Hear hear Babystarz!! I second your logical thinking!  ^.^

Makes perfect sense to me.  On the one hand, it's nice to take a pony out of its box.  Whether people don't have the space or they just want to be able to hold it, play with it, brush its hair, etc., I can understand why many prefer to let their ponies loose.  On the other hand, we're not talking about easy-to-find G4s here or common enough G3s.  A mint-in-box (on card, or in package) G1 pony is so much harder to find and so much more expensive.  If you're a serious collector, it seems to make the most sense to keep them in their plastic prisons. ;-)

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2012, 02:52:38 AM »
Um, well, no, not really but when I was young I kept all the cards and bubbles so if a pony was naughty they used to get recarded :)  Mum made me get rid of the bubbles though so I have no where to put the bad ponies any more :(

*giggle*....I have visions of you in casing them again in little plastic prisons if they had played naughty!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 02:55:37 AM by hathorcat »
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2012, 05:18:03 AM »
There was one option missing: I would collect them if I could afford them. :lol:  That is, if we're talking about G1. But I like loose ponies better, so I picked "Yes, but maybe just a few special ones". I'd certainly love to have a MOC Gusty, for example! Or some of my childhood ponies, although I still have mine and they're in a pretty good condition, too. But it'd be nice to have one with the packaging and all. ^^

So far I've kept my G4 ponies in their boxes, except the mane 6, but I'm not sure yet if I shall keep them that way or debox them later. I'm not interested in buying any MIB G3s either, they're so much prettier loose.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Lavender_Lace

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
I used to buy as many ponies MIB as I could, but had to sell them all a few years ago due to $ issues.  I  miss my wall o ponies.  The only MOC ponies I have now are G2s (copper glow and the christmas baby) a bunch of G3s (I don't even know what I have) and a Diamond Rose...she might get opened though.  I bought her and Cherry Pie with the intention of keeping them MIB, and Cherry Pie needed to be released and played with. 

I had no problems keeping the G1 ponies MOC, but playsets are a different story.  I've bought and opened a Baby Bonnet School of Dance, a Poof 'n' Puff Perfume Palace, and a UK Kitchen.  I still have them and have no intention of getting rid of them.  I really enjoy being able to play with them with my daughters and have them on display.  I think part of why I liked buying the playsets MIB the most is because it drives me nuts having missing pieces.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal