collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Basic Fun 2023 New Releases: Celestials! RaMC Figures! Plushies! Etc!  (Read 49427 times)

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Fun 2023 New Releases: Celestials! RaMC Figures!
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2023, 01:33:16 PM »
This makes me wonder who the target audience is in Basic Fun's MLP business model.

If it's kids, then there sure are more appealing and more gimmicky ponies to grab there attention with. If it's adult collectors, they have the first six for sure, or either don't want them.

It's an odd thing.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2023, 03:13:53 PM »
This makes me wonder who the target audience is in Basic Fun's MLP business model.

If it's kids, then there sure are more appealing and more gimmicky ponies to grab there attention with. If it's adult collectors, they have the first six for sure, or either don't want them.

It's an odd thing.
I'd rather they picked another set too.  But, I'm sure in the past five years there are plenty of new little ones grandmas can spoil with ponies from her childhood.  I know I would be doing that.   :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2023, 08:04:44 AM »
I think Basic Fun is deciding, since Hasbro customer service told me in particularly dismissive tones that it was nothing to do with them and I would need to contact BF about anything relating to their release (going back towards the start of the release).

I also think it's that fact that they're the first, so it's their anniversary. That makes sense, if you buy into the 1983 start date. I never have, because I know that there's empirical evidence of people getting them for Christmas 1982...but since that's the year they've settled on, it's the 'official' first year of release per Hasbro. They are the ones who are 40 years old.

If it was being done from a UK perspective, the set would be the groom and style ponies, as they were in everything media here in/around 1985. Four of them had two releases (Posey, Bow Tie, AJ and CJ). Lickety Split had an extra release in Europe as well I think. There was the song tape too.

But from a US perspective, I'd think that the RAMC set - which they're also now honouring with the tinies - would be more iconic? I've heard far more US collectors talk about having one of the ponies from the earth/unicorn/pegasus set from that year than I have one of the original CP (remembering CC and Blossom were also released in that period).

But I think  there's something to the idea of a core release spreading from Hasbro to BF in terms of marketing.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2023, 08:57:30 AM »
The Groom and Style Ponies?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 02:00:22 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2023, 09:45:24 AM »

The y3 earth ponies. Hasbro UK's list calls them Groom & Style ponies because they were the first set here to include curly hair.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2023, 11:57:49 AM »
I think Basic Fun is deciding, since Hasbro customer service told me in particularly dismissive tones that it was nothing to do with them and I would need to contact BF about anything relating to their release (going back towards the start of the release).

I also think it's that fact that they're the first, so it's their anniversary. That makes sense, if you buy into the 1983 start date. I never have, because I know that there's empirical evidence of people getting them for Christmas 1982...but since that's the year they've settled on, it's the 'official' first year of release per Hasbro. They are the ones who are 40 years old.

If it was being done from a UK perspective, the set would be the groom and style ponies, as they were in everything media here in/around 1985. Four of them had two releases (Posey, Bow Tie, AJ and CJ). Lickety Split had an extra release in Europe as well I think. There was the song tape too.

But from a US perspective, I'd think that the RAMC set - which they're also now honouring with the tinies - would be more iconic? I've heard far more US collectors talk about having one of the ponies from the earth/unicorn/pegasus set from that year than I have one of the original CP (remembering CC and Blossom were also released in that period).

But I think  there's something to the idea of a core release spreading from Hasbro to BF in terms of marketing.

I remember seeing the first set in a Sears catalog.  But those ponies were sold out almost instantaneously.  So I could only gaze longingly at Minty, Snuzzle and Bluebelle.  That catalog was the only proof I had for a long time that they actually existed.  I don't know the exact year that happened.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2023, 02:00:32 PM »

The y3 earth ponies. Hasbro UK's list calls them Groom & Style ponies because they were the first set here to include curly hair.

Ohh
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2023, 04:24:42 PM »
The UK toystore G3 has this set and said it had an expected release date of December.  It might also be set to release in the US with a similar timeframe, but not be listed yet.

It looks great!  I hope we get pearly versions of the other Collector ponies too, but if it had to be only two then I'm glad it's these two, because they had pearlized babies.

I've seen a picture of the back of the box and it says something like "Blossom and Cotton Candy love their tiny new friend Glory", it's cute.

:dropjaw: :drool:

oh wow, i don't care about double-ups now after seeing these, thanks for posting, it pays to keep an eye on this thread :) I usually watch the MLP Merch site for anything new but they haven't had anything g1 for a long time.
I hope they follow through with these and their packaging not like the plushys, they were advertised with nice packaging but didn't come with it :huh:
these are super cute and I can't wait especially knowing now that amazon Australia sends to NZ  :satisfied:

Post Merge: July 25, 2023, 04:49:38 PM

I'm glad everyone likes the CC comparisons :) These are the other 35th vs 40th comparisons I've seen:

Minty
Butterscotch

Haven't found comparisons for the other three yet but I'd love to see them :)

OMG the RaMC box is so gorgeous ;__; I keep going back for another look. I love all the minute details, Tirac's hair is so fluffy!

Thank you, yeah heres hoping more comparisons on the others ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 04:49:38 PM by shabbychicdee »

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2023, 03:27:58 PM »
See I agree that the RaMC-era ponies are probably more "iconic" and popular, etc, but there's also the fact that if you do the collector ponies, you only need to do one mould :P Which I imagine is very appealing to these companies, haha. (Obviously this doesn't quite apply to Basic Fun since they've done the RaMC characters anyway, but you know.)

I dunno, it just doesn't bug me. I think they make sense to show up for an anniversary release, certainly... the only other pony I can think of that'd be appropriate is the Birthday Pony. which is a fair point come to think of it, why not re-release her? although I guess they don't have a non-Twinkle Eyed version of her pose, maybe that's why

I also think it's that fact that they're the first, so it's their anniversary. [snip] They are the ones who are 40 years old.

But yeah, this, this is a great way of putting it.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2023, 03:30:52 PM »
Stumbled on this listing on Amazon.co.uk:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestial-Basic-Fun-Collectable-Vintage/dp/B0BPK1BKSC

I know we've seen all this already, but the box does look pretty awesome.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2023, 12:11:44 AM »
The UK toystore G3 has this set and said it had an expected release date of December.  It might also be set to release in the US with a similar timeframe, but not be listed yet.

It looks great!  I hope we get pearly versions of the other Collector ponies too, but if it had to be only two then I'm glad it's these two, because they had pearlized babies.

I've seen a picture of the back of the box and it says something like "Blossom and Cotton Candy love their tiny new friend Glory", it's cute.

Someone on Facebook found this set at a Target in Maryland (USA)!  It was on the "retro" end cap where they have the Pound Puppies.

Target is / will be doing a shelf reset and restocking soon . . . I'm going to check mine tomorrow.  Fingers crossed, because its toy section is always a mess.  There's a Care Bear there that's been covered with Silly String for like two months.

I hope the other BF ponies also get carried by Target.  Time will tell, I guess!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2023, 09:37:57 AM »
https://youtu.be/F5EF9QpxLkY

She sees the two pack briefly at Target.  I want to go look so badly!
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2023, 06:56:47 AM »
https://youtu.be/F5EF9QpxLkY

She sees the two pack briefly at Target.  I want to go look so badly!

Time stamp 9:41

For a second there I thought they weren't pearlized. The promo pics do seem enhanced compared to the real deal. Gorgeous stable box.

19.99 is a great price.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 07:02:21 AM by DreamvalleyMLP »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2023, 07:11:33 AM »
I went to Target one day this week and didn't see the CC and Blossom set.  I don't think my Target had fully reset yet, because I only found a few of the runway Rainbow High dolls.  I'm going to check again though and if I find them I'll take a pic.  :D

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2023, 05:17:44 PM »
Lots of people finding them on Facebook in the G1 pony groups. Most are buying 3+ at a time.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal