collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Celestial / Fancy Swirl Ponies Campaign!+Give Away (Pg2) Bridge Direct 35th!  (Read 25321 times)

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
did anyone get a response letter yet? :D

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Sent my letter too! Since I couldn't take a pic of the postage stamps, would a receipt be okay instead?

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
While we could try I really doubt they would make them since they seem to be aiming more at the general public that might be nostalgic for the ponies they used to have than at hardcore collectors. Something else we could do is encourage the HQG1C project to take these on.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • My reality is just different than yours
    • View Profile
    • LadyPinwheel's Pony Realm
While we could try I really doubt they would make them since they seem to be aiming more at the general public that might be nostalgic for the ponies they used to have than at hardcore collectors. Something else we could do is encourage the HQG1C project to take these on.

I don't think HQG1C could make these because of copyright... I don't know how much buying the license for those would cost. :/

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook

I don't think HQG1C could make these because of copyright... I don't know how much buying the license for those would cost. :/

Also, by contacting them, whether about this or anything related to the pony retro project, it shows there's interest. Basic Fun/TBD/Hasbro don't care whether the people buying their items are or are not collectors, but interest is interest and that proves there's a market for G1 style MLP.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Sorry to be impatient, but when will the prize winners be picked. 

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
I think LadyMoondancer mentioned her drawing ending around the end of February, I think? I know there's a couple groups on FB already finished their giveaways, like the Shoo Be Doo group, which is now running a second giveaway!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile

I mean the project itself is kinda infringing and wholly depends on Hasbro letting it slide because it's not the current gen. I don't think making ponies that never even existed outside of some old art from a generation that has been long out of production would be any more of an issue than the project itself would be. I'm just saying it's another option to make it happen if this don't work. 
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • My reality is just different than yours
    • View Profile
    • LadyPinwheel's Pony Realm

I mean the project itself is kinda infringing and wholly depends on Hasbro letting it slide because it's not the current gen. I don't think making ponies that never even existed outside of some old art from a generation that has been long out of production would be any more of an issue than the project itself would be. I'm just saying it's another option to make it happen if this don't work. 

The thing is that the Celestial / Fancy Swirl ponies aren't just some old art. They made it to prototype phase. They have names, stories.. all. And as I understand it, all that still belongs to Hasbro. I'm sure there are other members with more and better information about this subject. But I believe that if they haven't considered making these ponies and we are asking Basic Fun to make them, is because there is a bigger issue with this set.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile

The thing is that the Celestial / Fancy Swirl ponies aren't just some old art. They made it to prototype phase. They have names, stories.. all. And as I understand it, all that still belongs to Hasbro. I'm sure there are other members with more and better information about this subject. But I believe that if they haven't considered making these ponies and we are asking Basic Fun to make them, is because there is a bigger issue with this set.

All of that aside, there is the additional issue of the celestial ponies being "high concept" with gimmicks that look like they might be complicated or costly to achieve. After all Hasbro decided to cancel them even after getting pretty far in the design department.  Between Basic Fun and HQGC it's probably Basic Fun that will have the better resources to get these made in a price point that everyone would be happy with.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I actually wonder if they did.

I know I'm now going way off base, but there's no logic in assuming they're too much of a gimmick to produce. I mean think of the pocket ponies in those poses. It's possible they decided one gimmick at a time, and went for that one. Also, if you really think about it, the Celestials have some very familiar features to ponies that were produced - the G1 hairdo ponies that came out in Europe. Not only are they fully pearlised in body, they also have something attached to the head. Albeit this is for hair styling and not decoration, but it's more than possible that the concept of THESE ponies was a part of the design process of THOSE later on in production.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I was thinking more the idea of having color swirl plastic.  If you tried to combine two different colors to make the swirly effect would it come out the way it was envisioned?  Would the colors blend too much or too little?  Would it cause the vinyl to not adhere to itself properly or shrink/expand at different rates?

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I was thinking more the idea of having color swirl plastic.  If you tried to combine two different colors to make the swirly effect would it come out the way it was envisioned?  Would the colors blend too much or too little?  Would it cause the vinyl to not adhere to itself properly or shrink/expand at different rates?

I think possibly the 'colorswirl' ponies themselves maybe answer that question...maybe it was just easier not to try.
But when you think about it, the ideas tied up in that particular set do seem to have spread themselves across other sets.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Maybe Hasbro just thought the gimmick of the pockets was more original would sell better?  (Although personally I prefer the Fancy Swirl ponies to the Pocket ponies by far . . . I think the Pocket ponies are weird tbh.) 

By that time the MLP line was on a decline (in terms of sales) and they probably wanted to limit the number of sets that were out.  Like, there would be no point in producing a set if the stores weren't going to order it because they'd already maxed out their "pony space." 

I sort of feel that's why the Year 3 adult sea ponies are so hard to find . . . Their boxes were an awkward size to stock (can't stack them, can't hang them on pegs, take up a lot of shelf space) and maybe stores just didn't order them--passing them over for the baby sea ponies.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Maybe Hasbro just thought the gimmick of the pockets was more original would sell better?  (Although personally I prefer the Fancy Swirl ponies to the Pocket ponies by far . . . I think the Pocket ponies are weird tbh.) 

By that time the MLP line was on a decline (in terms of sales) and they probably wanted to limit the number of sets that were out.  Like, there would be no point in producing a set if the stores weren't going to order it because they'd already maxed out their "pony space." 

MLP may have been on a decline in the US, it wasn't on a decline yet in Europe, so they could easily have done what they did with the 7 Characters/MLP Tales and sold those ponies overseas if they were serious about making them. We had a lot of exclusives during those last years, as did the US, which is interesting because it suggests there were two divergent threads going on as to what people thought would sell in what place. We had some things in common but a lot of things different...but MLP declined here in 1993-4, and the invention of two new poses in the 1993 line suggests to me that the end came rather quickly, like with Jem, else why bother?

So there is no reason Hasbro couldn't have released the Celestials in Europe. They just didn't...meaning that sales decline probably isn't the reason, but possibly too many gimmicks in one year of release was.

I also believe from what other people have said that a lot of the y3 adult sea ponies ended up in Canada. They sure didn't come here.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal