collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any tips on getting started?  (Read 6637 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Any tips on getting started?
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2018, 08:34:25 AM »
...Do different versions have different names? Or should I just call them... Posey I and Posey II? xD

I can't seem to find anything regarding that on my little wiki

Posey does have a recognised symbol variation (magenta rather than pink) so in a way Posey I and Posey II would really work for them xD. Also you're in Austria, so there's good chances of ones made in Italy as well (which the UK and US and other English speaking countries generally didn't get for some reason..?)

There are minor variations in symbol colouring and symbols can fade (Posey is a key example of fading symbol in the paler version) but if in doubt, best to keep both ;)
...How could i forget about the Italian version when i'm swimming in Italian ponies ?

So common you stopped noticing it? Like when you walk down the same street every day and don't notice the same bush because it's always there? XD

I would like to be swimming in Italian ponies. I have always had a soft spot for them and their goofy expressions.

@JasonP - some people keep doubles, even sometimes a lot of the same pony (known as 'armies'). Some people trade or sell their doubles.
That must be it.If you like Italian ponies, come live in France because that's litteraly all i see from french sellers that aren't collectors. I was amazed to see someone selling an HK Skyflier among other ponies i wanted not too long ago and immediatly bought them since i only ever saw Italian Skyflier here.

JasonP : i don't know how to describe them, but their eyes don't really look the same as the "normal" HK ponies, which makes them look different and pretty cool

Well, we didn't get HK Skyflier either here. Actually, I have found Italian Surprise and Heart Throb here (once each) but never the HK versions, so that's even true for the UK where we had neither release. Lots of people holidaying in South France, I imagine... XD But I would be really happy to find any Skyflier here, to be honest. Never seen her here in the wild in any form. Powder either. :(

I did get a lot of my Italian ponies from either Austria, Holland or France :D

My French is pretty rusty. I used to speak it pretty well but now not so much - now when I try to speak French, random Japanese words get mixed into the conversation (as I discovered on visiting Lille one time from London) and that's awkward to explain, not least because I'm very obviously not Japanese...

It's very unusual to find So Soft Ponies in Europe. They weren't sold here - I don't think anywhere in Europe, so ones that show up have travelled...

There indeed a green Tootsie :D

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Re American ponies - there are some ponies sold predominately in the US and Canada. Some sold all across the world including Europe and America. Some sold in different regions of Europe  (ie Western Europe minus the UK, Scandinavia and Norse Countries) and some sold in other places like Brazil, Argentina, etc...which are made in those countries.

Ponies are complicated. ;) But about 70% of the ponies available in the US were also available in Europe. And about 70% of the ponies we had in Europe were available in the US. Not necessarily the same ponies, but it's about that. :)

People tend to call all ponies sold in the US "US Ponies" but most of them were sold in other places.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2018, 08:36:06 AM »
Oh. It's too bad we don't get american ponys here... Do you get any in france? I only seem to get european versions of everything
Well as i said earlier i'm swimming in Spanish and Italian versions of ponies that have those versions, so the only US ponies i find are ones that don't have european variations

Offline JasonP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2018, 09:37:20 AM »
Oh. Many of the ponys I have were bought in south america, where I grew up... What ponys did they have there? US ponys?
But again, many ponys were also bought in austria or england, after i moved there... o.o But i dont remember which came from where. I only have one so soft pony, but I've been unable to identify it so far.
Where do you guys get foreign ponys from?
I would really like a piggy pony xD they are so awesome.

That tootsie looks so different... I want one O_O I've never seen one like that.  Not that I've seen that many ponys, but you know...

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2018, 09:47:49 AM »
A lot of South American countries made their own ponies. I suggest you take a look in the Nirvana forum for more about those :)

What colour is your So Soft Pony?

Green Tootsie is very common in the UK and the US and Canada I think as well. Maybe try UK ebay? I don't think she'd be very expensive there :) She's a lot more common than the white one.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline JasonP

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2018, 09:50:09 AM »
Oh awesome, I'll try the uk ebay. Thats not so far so maybe the shipping wont be so expensive.
The so soft is... white? or cream colored? beige? I dont know... with blue hair and three red dots.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2018, 09:56:27 AM »
Oh awesome, I'll try the uk ebay. Thats not so far so maybe the shipping wont be so expensive.
The so soft is... white? or cream colored? beige? I dont know... with blue hair and three red dots.

This is an obscure guess because her proper colour is pale pink but I have seen ones yellowed with age so...given the dots, could it be Buttons?

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Buttons

UK postage isn't too bad to Europe :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline JasonP

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2018, 09:59:46 AM »
yes, thats the one! I cant believe you recognized that... O-o how many years have you been looking at ponys? xD

Why am I a fakie pony? xD what does that status change accoding to? I want to be a piggy pony...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:04:27 AM by JasonP »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2018, 10:13:45 AM »
yes, thats the one! I cant believe you recognized that... O-o how many years have you been looking at ponys? xD

Technically since I was 2, so 34 years, but as a collector since 1995 xD. My sister (who also collects) and I got very good at spotting and identifying a pony from a hoof or a horn a row of tables away so we could get there first ;)

I'm glad my guess was right :D But it was really more the symbol than the colouring since ponies can discolour but symbols are usually pretty distinctive. She's the only one with the dots (they are buttons, officially, but under the fur they look like, well, dots). Also, I've had a discoloured one in my trade box quite recently, so I thought it might be her :)

Buttons is pretty. She's also quite popular I think as a character in the animation.

Why am I a fakie pony? xD what does that status change accoding to? I want to be a piggy pony...

Status changes happen with number of posts though I think at some point you can ask the mods for a special title. I don't remember how many posts that is though.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline JasonP

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2018, 10:16:25 AM »
wow, thats a long time... and youre still so passionate about ponys? Does your sister also collect, or do you collect together? how many do you already have??

Ive never seen the series, but good to know I have a popular pony xD

now I'm a custom bait pony... that changes so quickly. I cant wait to be a piggy pony. it'll be awesome

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2018, 10:34:39 AM »
wow, thats a long time... and youre still so passionate about ponys? Does your sister also collect, or do you collect together? how many do you already have??

Ive never seen the series, but good to know I have a popular pony xD

now I'm a custom bait pony... that changes so quickly. I cant wait to be a piggy pony. it'll be awesome

We both come into it and then take a break, it's not like we're always 100% on the ponies but we always come back to it, both of us in different ways. We collected together as kids so there are ponies she has that I don't and vice versa but I don't feel the need to get them. I don't know how many we have altogether. Quite a lot...

Right now her ponies are in storage because she has no space where she lives, but she's lately started buying ponies and coming to ponycon again...so I guess she's going to fill the non-space with more ponies now...

And I can only do the immediate recognition stuff on G1. I'm pretty hopeless on the others and rely on the expertise of people here often :) That's the beauty of the community, everyone has stuff they know and stuff they don't and it's a good place to find things out.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline JasonP

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2018, 11:16:58 AM »
Yeah, i guess it comes and goes in phases. I'm in a phase right now xD but its great that you guys still stick to it after such a long time. It seems like a very nice, stress relieving hobby.

The ponycon is in england, right? or was it already?

I deffinitely understand the space thing o.o i have them all in cabinets but if i get more, I have no idea where to put them. Where do you keep yours? Ive heard some people saying that its not good for them to be in glass cabinets because of the sun?

Yeah, this place seems really great to ask all sorts of things xD I'm still amazed that ponys have so many fans...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal