collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your opinion wanted on value of the new FIM trading cards.  (Read 2305 times)

Offline EminentZephyr

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Your opinion wanted on value of the new FIM trading cards.
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:59:53 PM »
Simple as that, just what the title says. :D

I'm curious what ya'll think about them.

Do you think their value will grow in time?

Or do you think right now they will be at their peak considering all the rage over the show currently?

Just wondering really! I find these cards so cute & interesting. Just bought my first 3 packs, lol. I'm a little behind! :P

:lovey:

- Emi :heart:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:48:28 AM by SourdoughStomper »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion wanted on value of the new FIM trading cards.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:11:33 PM »
I don't collect them, they just don't appeal to me though they are cute pictures. I think the problem is that i compare it to Pokemon so I am biased that way. :P No cards beat the Pokemon cards of my nostalgic childhood.

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 11:11:56 PM »
I'd imagine that a few of the cards will be more valuable over time (especially if there were any that "only ___ amount of this card were made"), but I don't think they ALL will be. But then again, the cards are selling out now, so who knows what happens later on. :D I kinda regret not buying the cards when I saw them in TRU two Thursdays ago - I had thought the cards had been out for a while.

Kind of like how when the Pokemon cards first came out, people were thinking they'd be worth a lot of money ten years later. Now, I don't even think the infamous "1st Edition Holographic Charizard" is worth much currently.  (I felt kinda nerdy saying that lasy sentence just now, LOL!)
EDIT: Looks like I am wrong on that Charizard - apparently it's still worth alot. Quick eBay check shows they go into the hundreds, like around $200+. xD
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:14:25 PM by MilkyTaroMochi »
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline EminentZephyr

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:25:39 PM »
Just to note: Pokemon rule. & dominated most of my childhood. & I wouldn't change a thing about it. xD

Ohhhh the good ol' days. ahaha.

Begging my mother for a pack of Pokemon cards every time we went out to the stores. xD

I can still remember the very first holographic I ever got; Magneton ...LOL!!

I literally have BINDERS full. Like 4 of them. All full of Pokemon cards. haaaa <3

For real though I had to give up on trying to "catch them all" after they started releasing what seemed like endless armies of new Pokemon. x___x

After the Ex Delta Species cards came out & Legend Makers, I had to throw in the towel. Just saying.

Anyways xDD

As far as the MLP FIM cards though. >_>

Yeah, I've only bought 3 packs so far. idk how far I want to get into collecting them.

I did manage to get 2 foil cards out of the 3 packs though... one cute lil Sweetie Belle & one Princess Luna! :)

Are foily (that's a fun word right there :p) cards supposed to be common in the MLP cards?

TurbinePony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:38:38 PM »
Maybe once more seasons of the show come out there will be different series... I'm gonna star collecting them soon. They seem affordable at target.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 12:28:20 AM »
I was interested in them at first but now I really don't see the point. Aren't they just cards with pictures and info? There's nothing to do with them but collect. Pokemon cards had a game attached, almost every collectable card I've seen has some sort of game associated with it. Pony cards are just, meh :huh:
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

TwilightTrixie

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 12:39:27 AM »

Are foily (that's a fun word right there :p) cards supposed to be common in the MLP cards?

The regular foil cards are pretty common, yes.  In each pack you'll get either a (regular) foil card or a standee.  In fifty-six card packs, I've gotten foil cards a bit more often than standees--maybe 60% of the time?  However, there are also really rare "Gold Series" foil cards; I've gotten two out of fifty-six packs.

SabreMau

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 12:50:41 AM »
Out of 50 packs, I've gotten:

24 standee
25 foil
1 gold foil

Now, they're going to be printing more cards because, when all the stores run out of stock, they run out of income on the cards. So the values on most of them aren't going to rise too much. Especially while they're still in production.

However, exclusives like the Bronycon Rarity or the SDCC Rainbow Dash cards, ones that you can only pick up at a single event and then aren't reprinted again, those are generally going to be in the $100 and up range. And then get higher with time.

Offline Shenanigans

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 12:57:42 AM »
I got 8 packs and managed to get 1 gold foil (Luna) I just checked ebay and it's selling for $20-$30 :shocked:
My Wish List

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 01:06:05 AM »
I got 8 packs and managed to get 1 gold foil (Luna) I just checked ebay and it's selling for $20-$30 :shocked:

O_O! And I can imagine that card going up in value because it's a Luna card. Especially if they were make that card "out of print".
From the sound of it, the gold cards are going to be the ones that will be the more valuable after some time passes. Along with the exclusive cards. 
This topic makes me wonder which card, excluding the con exclusive ones, will be the "Charizard" of the bunch. xD
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 01:18:32 AM »
They're $2 a pack for four cards, that's obnoxious. They're already valuable.

The rare ones will fetch a decent price now, for sure, but I'm sure they'll drop when interest in FiM wanes.

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 01:20:53 AM »
However, exclusives like the Bronycon Rarity or the SDCC Rainbow Dash cards, ones that you can only pick up at a single event and then aren't reprinted again, those are generally going to be in the $100 and up range. And then get higher with time.

Once the fad dies down I highly doubt they'll be worth hundreds, or even just $100. I think they'll drop in value once FiM stops being ~super cool~ and people move on.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 06:20:16 AM »
I was interested in them at first but now I really don't see the point. Aren't they just cards with pictures and info? There's nothing to do with them but collect. Pokemon cards had a game attached, almost every collectable card I've seen has some sort of game associated with it. Pony cards are just, meh :huh:

I have to strongly disagree here. Trading cards have a long history and are still big collectables in some circles--I still have a lot of them from various movies and tv shows from when I was a kid. Only since the Pokemon and Magic: The Gathering craze did these games played with trading cards become a big 'thing.'

As for value, I'm going to say based on my experience that the value you're getting for your FiM cards NOW is going to be the most money you're going to make on them. Yes they're selling out of stores (both Targets in my area have just empty boxes and have had them for a while.) But as soon as the fervor for them dies down, I predict the value for them is going to plummet. These types of things don't usually appreciate in value, unfortunately.

None of the trading card sets I have now are worth much, based on ebay searches, and these cards are like 15 years old or more. (And they were super popular at the time, I have a complete The Lion King series 1 and 2 card sets that cost me big money to complete as a child, but now doesn't seem to be worth anything except to me personally ;) )

I'm going to guess even the Gold series cards aren't going to be worth much, though of course they will be worth more than the regular cards based on how many were made compared to how many of the regular ones were made.

As Taxel said, I'll bet even the Bronycon and SDCC cards are going to drop dramatically over time. People just WANT WANT WANT them right now because they're the newest thing, so they're going for $80-100 on ebay. If you do a search for 'sdcc cards' or 'sdcc trading cards' on ebay you'll see SDCC has many different types of exclusive trading cards offered over the years and some are not going for much these days.

In conclusion, if you want to sell/trade your cards, do so now before they become old news! :P
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline EminentZephyr

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 12:20:08 PM »

Out of the 3 packs I bought I got a gold foil Luna card as well.

I hadn't checked her price on ebay until I just read your post though and wow!!!

...you're right! :blink: weird!!

I really appreciate everyone's input so far. I really do. This is so interesting.

Now who wants to buy my Luna card for oh, say... a measly $45...  :P lol jk

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 02:31:53 PM »
I completely agree with Dragonflitter.

The most you will get for these is right now and in the next 6 or so months when they are still hot and when the following of FiM remains so high. Over time the demand will die down, some fans will move on and prices will drop. In addition the sheer number of the common cards in circulation probably makes them pretty low in value even now. However, I also think that a handful of them - mainly the one off cards such as those released at Comic Con and BroneyCon and perhaps even the box toppers - will always hold a little higher value than other cards. That just makes sense - less of them = higher value.

In addition, Enterplay want to sell as many cards as possible - a couple of the online stores which were out of stock already have new stock back in - and you can be assured than while there is the demand, there will continue to be the supply. Trading card manufacturers are smart - they only make money if people willingly buy doubles - how do you get them to do that? Rares or incredibly hard to find cards or the sudden release in sets of "new cards". So in buying more sets to track down those rares, we ask for more to be printed and in more being printed we automatically decrease the value of the cards.

I am sure in years to come lots of us will still treasure these and some of them may continue to be rare enough to hold value but I honestly think the popularity spike for them is right now when they are the current cool thing. It also largely depends on how large the community remains - if there is a dramatic decrease in the number of people who collect and the market is flooded by sets which are picked up by those still collecting then it dramatically lowers price. Kind of similar to the G1 mummy charms - they were expensive, then the market flooded and now they have a tiny value in comparison.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal