collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Book swap interest check  (Read 1115 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Book swap interest check
« on: March 29, 2014, 11:46:49 PM »
Hey guys!

I did one of these around Thanksgiving checking interest in it, but it was so close to Christmas I didn't want to even try that with all the holiday swaps. I thought it might not be a bad time to try now. New interest check here just so I can see those interested without skimming through pages of the old check since I'm sure those interested has changed.  It would be my first swap to ask to host so before I do that wanna see how many people might want to do it.

I also wanted to address some questions people had before from the previous thread. Feel free to comment or give a suggestion of course

I think the biggest concern was having international members and U.S. members and having to ship heavy books with extras. Some people asked if sending gift cards instead would be an option.

- I thought long and hard about this, and I think giftcards except as maybe like an extra would be a bad idea. One big reason is the difference of available stores in the area. The biggest thing I considered was trying to think about how I would feel if I was in a swap and got a giftcard.  This is my opinion of course, but I think it would make me a bit unhappy like my partner didn't take the time to really shop for me. I think it would be best if everyone just realizes up front you might have an international partner and to take that I I consideration when you decide if you want to join

Cards for kindles ect
I think similar to the international option actual books would be best. Maybe if your partner would like a giftcard that could be counted as an extra.

Paperback vs. hardback
We all might have different opinions on this, so I'm just throwing this out there again. I think being open to having paperback and hardback books in the box would make things smoother. Also, if someone got an international member paperback books would def help out in shipping cost.

Note: I'm not saying random paperbacks in awful condition. I personally like all my books either new or lightly used. I'm suggesting paperbacks to give more options

I'm trying to think of any other concerns expressed last time but none comes to mind. Hmmm think I got it so here we go!

Electronic books have come up so to be a bit helpful when posting specify if you prefer electronic or physical books. That will give me more of an accurate count when seeing those interested. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:46:58 PM by Maddie »
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Book swap interest check
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 05:48:15 AM »
Another concern would be illegal books. I don't know if it would apply to any of those participating but some countries do restrict what books/types of books are allowed in the country. Just something to be mindful of.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 07:36:31 AM »
Another concern would be illegal books. I don't know if it would apply to any of those participating but some countries do restrict what books/types of books are allowed in the country. Just something to be mindful of.
Oh really? Thank you for mentioning that I had never heard of that! Off to Google for a bit of research.  :lol:

Formerly Maddie

Offline NinaMarie

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+77)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • NinaMarieCrochet - Cute & Floral Crochet Accessories
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 01:12:24 PM »
I remember this swap happening just after I joined I was so disappointed to not be able to participate.
Would say a coloring book count as an extra instead of a regular book? I'm on the lookout for a MLP coloring book I had as kid so I'd add that to my list "just in case."
Gift card issue I would rather have a book than a card. Although a gift card as an extra for a Kindle or whatever wouldn't be bad.
I think we just really need to be aware of how costly the postage will be and if we can't handle it then we have to stay out.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 01:57:17 PM »
One thing to be careful of with gift cards is if someone is shipping internationally, most gift cards are not accepted internationally. IE Canada Walmart giftcards are not valid/accepted at USA Walmarts.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 02:21:56 PM »
One thing to be careful of with gift cards is if someone is shipping internationally, most gift cards are not accepted internationally. IE Canada Walmart giftcards are not valid/accepted at USA Walmarts.
Yeah I mentioned that in my upper post. It might just be easier to not have gift cards at all. I just remember last time several people mentioning trying to get things for their Kindle ect. I would prefer none but was going to see what others thought. Course if there isn't any interest in a book swap I won't worry about it. :lol:

Edit: ah I see what you're saying I missed it. Pffh no cards would be easier then I think just plain books

Nina: I think that would be a nice extra as long as it fits into whatever extra budget we set. I do agree sticking to regular books would be best.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:23:37 PM by Maddie »

Formerly Maddie

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 02:31:48 PM »
Every time this swap gets brought up I want to join it so bad but its always at a bad time for me xD. If it does happen though ill be interested in the brags :p
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline cassstorm

• Cheeky Monkey Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+442)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 06:10:20 PM »
I would be in if I have room, I love books! currently in the culture swap, waiting to see what happens with the wish swap, and I plan on helping out with the ponies for pounds.. off to re-read rules of what we are allowed to participate in since this is not a pony related swap  :)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 05:23:35 AM »
Haha, well it hasn't generated the interest like it did before Christmas. I'll give the thread a bit of time though. If there isn't enough interest to try a swap I wouldn't mind doing a private one with someone. If anyone wants to go that route? If not I'll buy books for myself. :P

Formerly Maddie

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 07:38:20 AM »
Kindle books can be given as gifts :) That way it's more personal than a gift card - you are actually purchasing that specific title and giving in directly to the kindle owner. Just like you would be with a real book. I'm not sure about other platforms but I'm sure it's probably similar. Just as an option if there are those who prefer to get ebooks.

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 09:42:25 AM »
Kindle books can be given as gifts :) That way it's more personal than a gift card - you are actually purchasing that specific title and giving in directly to the kindle owner. Just like you would be with a real book. I'm not sure about other platforms but I'm sure it's probably similar. Just as an option if there are those who prefer to get ebooks.

If this approach is sanctioned, then I could potentially get on board with this swap. :) I do prefer real books in general, but ebooks would totally save on shipping costs.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 05:32:57 PM »
Maybe it could be run with 2 categories - electronic swap and physical swap. So kindle swappers are matched up, and those wanting actual books are matched up.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 06:02:27 PM »
Books!! 
Physical and electronic.  I have an addiction to the printed word...
:socks:   :frog:

HannahBeth333

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »
I would be interested in joining for sure I love books.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 06:45:05 PM »
Maybe it could be run with 2 categories - electronic swap and physical swap. So kindle swappers are matched up, and those wanting actual books are matched up.
Lol you guys are so smart! ;)

Alright, I think it would help if everyone mentions which they prefer physical books or electronic. Then I can kinda make a list and see how many people are interested and which they prefer. ^.^

Formerly Maddie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal