collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A question about generation 1 Dream Beauties  (Read 841 times)

Offline brmylittleponycollector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Hello, I study Veterinary Medicine&collect Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
A question about generation 1 Dream Beauties
« on: January 26, 2024, 10:00:37 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Well, I have a little doubt about G1's Dream Beauties! They were a spin off franchise from generation 1 like the equestria girls are from G4 or are they like G3.5 from G1??  They're beautiful but it's so confusing to fit them into the My Little Pony franchise and timeline  :huh:  :( and apparently few people collect them and they weren't very successful! Help me with this topic please, where do dream beauties come together in generation 1 and why were they created?? I intend to collect and have dream beauties because just like Equestria girls and I consider them My little pony!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: A question about generation 1 Dream Beauties
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 10:14:07 AM »
They are My Little Pony, but like petites they're a slight spinoff. They are in the Hasbro booklet I have for 1990 (which is interesting as it's a UK booklet, clearly no stores took them on...) as part of the MLP line. I think Hasbro were trying to compete with Fashion Star Fillies.

Not sure how successful they were. I know they were sold in N. America and in Germany, but otherwise I'm not sure. Oh, Australia. Two of mine came from there. They are expensive now, but back when I first started collecting, they were not quite as htf as they are now. However some sets were, especially in good condition. For example, the glittery ones were quite common but the trim and beauty ones less so and often they were in a mess.

I used to have one MIB but I sold it...I sort of wish I didn't because it would sell for a lot more now, LOL :) But aside one of the winged beauties, I didn't have to spend too much to complete my loose set. I found one at a carboot sale here and assumed it had skipped over from Germany as it was one of the carousel type ones and those come up on German ebay sometimes.

But what their actual sale figures were like...not sure.

I think one of the big issues really is condition/damage. Not just broken legs or faded hair but wear and tear. They are hard to store as well which is why I think some collectors shy away.

My sister has lost her one and only dream beauty, which I think is Skyflier. I have no idea what she has done with it.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 03:28:39 PM »
I had Song Rider in my childhood ponies.  I wish I'd kept her, but I didn't.  Song Rider came with a solid fragrance inside the metal symbol.  You could slide the metal part down and get to the fragrance.  I don't remember liking Song Rider very much.  I played with her some, but she was much too big to fit in with other ponies.  I did have a couple of Fashion Star Fillies, so I might have played with those and Song Rider together, but I don't remember. 

I agree with Taffeta that Hasbro was probably trying to compete with Fashion Star Fillies

I've always wondered why the Dream Beauties were marketed as "all grown up My Little Ponies." I guess part of it was to explain why they were so much bigger than regular ponies.  That gets a little confusing though if you start trying to tie it in with the regular sized MLPs. 

Today I'd love to High Flying Glider, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

I also think Dream Beauties must not have lasted too long. Petite ponies didn't either, but I think they must have had a little longer of a lifespan than Dream Beauties.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 11:48:39 PM »
They came towards the end of the G1 MLP line. The pattern for the end of line for pretty much all the generations has been as interest in MLP started to wane, Hasbro starts throwing all sorts of gimmicks to see what sticks. The declining years of G1 saw different forms of ponies(Petites and Dream Beauties), different animals(Lil Litters and Pony Friends), and all sorts of just weird ponies(Soda Sippin’, Sweet Pocket, Secret Surprise, etc). Fashion Star Fillies were having their moment, so I guess Hasbro wanted to try for a little bit of that.

Dream Beauties are rare and prone to damage that regular MLPs don’t get(broken legs, severe paint loss), but they also can get overlooked as generic horse toys since they’re so different.  I’ve found Dream Beauties in the wild twice. Once at a thrift store for 50 cents(High Flying Glider in *excellent* condition), and once at a collectible toy store for $3(Songrider in good condition). People just don’t recognize them as MLP, even some resellers, so it is possible for the very observant person to find them if they’re lucky and keep an eye open.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 04:56:24 PM »
They were meant to compete with Fasion Star Fillies and quite possibly Fantasy Fillies. I find then more MLP then EQG.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 05:06:38 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 03:33:26 PM »
I can assure you they are My Little Pony. And my memory while not perfect I do seem to remember them being advertised as My little Ponies 'Grown up'.

I didn't have any confusion when they came out in stores, I didn't feel any differently about them than say how I felt about Sea Ponies, flutter ponies or sweetheart sisters, etc.

I guess a person had to be there to really understand G1 but, since the styles of ponies for G1 is quite varied I don't remember thinking any less of them compared to other ponies. In fact I find them quite elegant looking, especially the ones with the big wings.

I actually back then decided to call them the guardian ponies, who protected ponyland. LOL.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Shadowperla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 12:08:37 PM »
I wish they had MLP-style plush legs, not only eyes.

Also wish Irresistibles were done.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal