collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who has the biggest G1 collection? :)  (Read 4148 times)

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
Re: Who has the biggest G1 collection? :)
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2016, 09:32:14 PM »

Changing the subject, really, a little bit, but I often wonder what happened to ponies I picked up here and traded across the sea. There were so many of them in the late 1990s and early 2000s, and most of those collectors are no longer here trading or collecting. I do wonder if they still have them, in secret hordes they enjoy privately, or whether they are in circulation once again.

I still have the Kitchen I bought from you in a damaged box in the late 90's. I kept it unassembled for years in the box you shipped it in. When we bought our house in 2011, I was finally about to set up my pony room... and I FINALLY put together that beautiful Kitchen set. :heart: I purchased collector pose Applejack & Surf Rider from you at the same time, and both are still in my collection as well. ;)
Edit: now that I think about it, I don't remember which baby sea pony I got from you. I will have to pull out my old notebook, lol.

Who's Helen? :tellme:
Helen was a collector from back in the early days of the community. She was very private about the extent of her collection, but it was amazing. She was the first person to discover many of the international ponies (Nirvanas) that we know today. She passed away in 2012. :( I visited her twice a few months prior, and per her request helped her family sell off a good chunk of her collection after she passed.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:05:48 PM by kitkatvintage »

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2016, 11:11:02 PM »
I am not sure who has biggest... Lol....like KitKat says depends on what u count into collection... Like I don't count Ponies I have a zillion of like extra big bros or twinkle eyed...because I have a ton...never count customs or baits....I only count the Ponies who are you know the regulars and and variants that are different... Now that counts for me non Pat.pending and Pat. Pending ....and we all know there are tons of variation in u.s., Germany, Italy, Spain...I mean I think everywhere....lol...so I have so so many Ponies...lol
I have completed :
U.s.a.
Germany
UK
Peru
Mexico
Macua
Dutch
France
Very close on Spain ( not counting piggies)
Very close on Brazilian
Only need hard to find cp for Italy
Then there's some super rare I need in my complete sets...like I need those expensive almost ooak frenchies and what not...lol...I have a lot of ooaks and variants... Lol...so so many...I will have to get pics....I have well well over 2,000 different g1s

Farthest away from completing Greeks and I think I need like around 30 argies....plus Colombian....have only concentrated on my Colombian boys ...and have a few adults :)...oh yeah and Venezuela... Because so many weird ones keep popping up.. Lol

I seriously need to make a trip up north to see your collection, since I missed the MN pony meet you hosted.  ^.^

Yes....it would be so much fun :)

I agree with everyone.... It's not a competition to me ...I just love my Ponies and only reason I even have any idea how many I have is just for fun once and a while I will attempt to count my herd...and mostly because I always get asked how many I have...lol

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2016, 06:23:25 AM »
Kitkat- thanks for the info.

It would have been amazing to have beheld, I'm sure. Too bad it wasn't the foundation of a My Little Pony museum.  ^.^
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 10:53:15 AM by ponyqueen »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2016, 09:42:53 AM »
I absolutely LOVE seeing the collections by some of the collectors that have the huge huge collections/pony rooms-

I wish they would brag a lot more- I never get tired of looking at those photos- the more and larger the photos, the better !!!!

Offline buddyboymama

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »
I absolutely LOVE seeing the collections by some of the collectors that have the huge huge collections/pony rooms-

I wish they would brag a lot more- I never get tired of looking at those photos- the more and larger the photos, the better !!!!

This ^ It doesn't matter to me who  has the biggest collection, but I would love to know how many collectors have 1,000 plus pony collections. And I love love love seeing the pics. I can also understand wanting to keep it low key, though.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2016, 10:17:14 AM »

This ^ It doesn't matter to me who  has the biggest collection, but I would love to know how many collectors have 1,000 plus pony collections. And I love love love seeing the pics. I can also understand wanting to keep it low key, though.

I am sure a lot of people. depending on when one started collecting, it was easy to get ponies at $1-2. If you love ponies, they'll have added up at those prices.

I don't care about being low key. I'm a little uncomfortable being praised for buying stuff. I do enjoy being complimented on my cleaning skills though. :) Occasionally when I've shared something special (I only have a few truly special ones. as I enjoy the US line) I'd end up with a PM where I was respectfully asked if I were ever to sell to keep that persons name in mind (I do keep those names). Or more details on how I found an item, or additional info on accessories. Rarely is someone a little too eager. General net, I can understand not wanting photographs of your collection out for all to see and contact you. I am however horrifically lazy with photographs and each time I sell stuff to put in a shelving order so I can actually have a real pony room I can photograph..... I invariably spend it on ponies. :( No one would have fun looking at storage totes.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2016, 10:33:30 AM »
I like seeing the photos because it is definitely the closest I will ever come to visiting a MLP museum, which is basically what these are-

I can imagine keeping them tidy and clean can be a challenge at times.

Also, for those of you with huge collections, make sure you have photos of everything at least somewhere just in case you ever have a fire and have to make an insurance claim (sorry, couldn't help mentioning it, it's what I do for a living)

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2016, 01:40:54 PM »
I know I don't really post about my collection. I have all US ponies and most of all of the mainstream nirvanas so my collection must be well over 1000 now. I haven't ever been able to keep count in the nearly 9 years since I started collecting from my mere childhood herd of 5 to what it is now. I do wish I had been collecting some in the late 90's early 00's when it seemed cool to find new discoveries. I wonder if the Peru baby Cotton Candy I bought from the Delaney's in 2011 was once in Helen's collection?  It would be neat to back track where my ponies originated. I mostly bought my US collection from ebay in lots, but some of the nirvanas and a few US ponies came from members or other collectors.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2016, 06:50:37 PM »

Changing the subject, really, a little bit, but I often wonder what happened to ponies I picked up here and traded across the sea. There were so many of them in the late 1990s and early 2000s, and most of those collectors are no longer here trading or collecting. I do wonder if they still have them, in secret hordes they enjoy privately, or whether they are in circulation once again.

I still have the Kitchen I bought from you in a damaged box in the late 90's. I kept it unassembled for years in the box you shipped it in. When we bought our house in 2011, I was finally about to set up my pony room... and I FINALLY put together that beautiful Kitchen set. :heart: I purchased collector pose Applejack & Surf Rider from you at the same time, and both are still in my collection as well. ;)
Edit: now that I think about it, I don't remember which baby sea pony I got from you. I will have to pull out my old notebook, lol.
Could be any of them o.O Maybe a UK pearly. I don't remember that specifically, but I DO remember that kitchen, and the damaged box xD. I'm so glad you got to do something with it in the end :D

Helen was a collector from back in the early days of the community. She was very private about the extent of her collection, but it was amazing. She was the first person to discover many of the international ponies (Nirvanas) that we know today.
I always consider it a privilege to have known her and met her and that she gave me her trust.
She sent me my Baby Shady for my 16th birthday, I just remembered that now talking about all of this. That was about 2 months before I was properly online, when we were still communicating via phone (her bill xD) and library PC. I'm 34 on Tuesday, so that was 18 years ago. It was that April or May that she came over, and brought those Nirvana babies with her (Peru, Brazil, Argentina). So Nirvana pre Nirvana is probably around 20 years old now.

I began the Italian stuff around 98-99, but that was after, and Helen was collecting long before I was online, so yeah. I'd say at least 20 years of variants in the collecting community thanks to her.

I still think that the most valuable thing in my collection is knowledge about the history and details and info. I'm a supergeek, so my Nirvana is pony packages and inserts and bits of pony history from the UK. Though they don't count as ponies, to me they're almost equal...so it really does depend on how you count and what you value, I think.

Seeing Wondermint's collection in the museum really made me dream about being able to display mine like that though...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2016, 07:06:37 PM »
Wow, you guys have been really good at keeping track of who you bought which pony from. I have not been that good! I know who I've bought ponies from, but I totally don't remember which ponies came from whom.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2016, 07:55:21 PM »
Oh man... I've been doing a collection count, and I'm not even up to G3 yet and I'm at 1,020!! AAA!! :yikes:

I love reading through this thread and hearing about everyone's friendships that grew through ponies!! Aww!! :heart:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline sangeeth

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awpasl.org/
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2016, 08:19:17 PM »
If you'd asked me this fifteen years ago I would've said pinkember, without hesitation (Helen), because then it absolutely without doubt would have been - even though she never bragged about it in the way others did.
Having visited Helen a few months before she passed, I would honestly agree that she may have had the most ponies in one collection ever in the history of collectors. This was after a good amount had been sold. She was very private about the extent of her collection, but it was truly amazing.

Sad to hear she passed away. What happened to her collection after that?

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2016, 02:05:14 AM »

Totally off topic, but maybe the answer to this question is not really any one collector, but the collective pony trading world through which some ponies travel multiple times. It means ponies from one person's collection become part of someone else's, then someone else's...and onwards to the next stage. If that makes sense?

The ponies all belong to all of us. They just change homes occasionally looking for new pasture ;)

I love this!!  It's true-- eventually, all of us will pass our ponies onto other collectors, whether they be others in the community or our kids / grandkids / nieces and nephews in the future.  I think ponies are one o those things that will never die out.  They're too beloved and too special to be forgotten.

I feel unexpectedly sad to hear of Helen, who I never knew.  It's somehow awful to think of a peer, a collector not being with us anymore.  I'm tearing up a little hearing of all the lives she touched and the legacy she gave to the pony community.

Taffeta I love your take on the most valuable part of your collection being the information and history you've found.  It's always possible to eventually get that rare pony, but what you have is way harder to come by.  I love hearing your stories.  There should be an archived thread or something with them all :)

I have no idea how many ponies I have.  At least half of them are doubles or big boxes from the old days of fleamarketing that I've dug out and have yet to go through and clean (a daunting task!) 

I'll add my name to the list of those who would LOOVE to see photos of fabulous collections! :heart:

Offline Kisscurl

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://kisscurlsponies.weebly.com/index.html
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2016, 07:23:30 AM »
I'll be posting some pics soon of my pony room,  but as I am one of the oldies the name Helen rings a bell, the only one I knew was Kiker, was that the same one??
I love seeing photos of everyone's collection.
I'm currently cataloging my collecting but last count was over 1000 odd :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal