collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Princess Luna 10 Inch Action Figure (fully articulated)  (Read 14268 times)

SoaringSentinel

• Trade Count: (0)
Princess Luna 10 Inch Action Figure (fully articulated)
« on: December 14, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm somewhat of an Action figure enthusiast. Starting with Star wars figures back in the day and now i'm just a little bit pickier in what kind of figures i pick up.
I've been a big fan of Friendship is magic since 2011 and ever since then I've been bothered by the lack of screen accurate toys ( one of my biggest pet peeves when collecting toys)

It's not that I don't want to support the show by buying the toys it's just that I want toys that look like the show. And recently with the Funko figures we've kind of been getting that, but I don't like the heads on those. (the mouths look weird to me)

Another thing that bugs me is the inability to really pose the figures (save for the head). Now I realize that I am not the intended audience for these figures and that for most people, these figures that Hasbro produces are more than enough. (this forum is evidence of that) But I am looking for a figure that's a little more complex and screen accurate than the average MLP figure.

Now I am a modeler and animator for video games and I also do tabletop miniatures as an on the side freelance job. But I wanted to try my hand at something a little bigger and functional. So for my first big action figure project I decided to make a fully pose-able action figure of Princess Luna. And here is what I have so far:

This is the computer model of the figure
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And here are some examples of the pose-ability which this figure should be capable of based on the joints I Designed.

Here is an alternate head which you can swap in and out of an angry Luna. There's going to be one more head with another expression (haven't decided which yet) and a pair of folded wings.

In total she consists of 68 individual parts Here is an exploded view of those :)

And here we have the 3d printed prototype. Sadly when I had it printed they lost 35 of the parts so I'm currently waiting for them to re-print the pieces and send them my way. which should be in a few days.

When I have the prototype in hand I am going to create a mold of the figure and cast it in poly urethane resin so it's stronger and lighter. And I'll also be able to cast some pieces in a flexible resin so they have less chance of breaking. and that also means i'm going to make a few copies that people can acquire. but more on that once i have the entire figure ready for casting.

So what do you think?

P.S. sorry if this is in the wrong forum but i think you guys mean modified when you talk about custom ponies rather than scratch built.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 01:52:02 PM by SoaringSentinel »

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Luna 10 Inch Action Figure (fully articulated)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 02:24:05 PM »
Dang!! She is beautifully created! Your work in the program is stunning (DH built a CNC in our garage, and uses a program that looks similar), I'm really impressed. Jaw-droppingly gorgeous!

sunshine29102

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 03:06:12 PM »
That is awesome!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 04:01:39 PM »
Oh that is SO cool!!! I love the poseability and the far that you can exchange her head. I can't wait to see her finished!!

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline moonsugar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • my Tumblr blog (may occasionally contain adult content)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 06:08:55 PM »
This is, hooves down, one of the coolest Princess Luna figures I have ever seen! Those joints are excellent. I can't wait to see her completed.
:fox:

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 10:33:12 PM »
This is amazing! I too have been wanting more show actuate toys and wishing for something I could pose and move (something I so enjoy with other toys!). I have worked at styling hair to help make my collection more enjoyable, but I never even imagined something this awesome!
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Archer

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/manga_mayhem/index.html
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 12:52:52 AM »
:o That looks amazing :D Your precision on the pieces is insanely good :D Can't wait to see this when you have all the bits :D

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 04:01:26 AM »
She is gorgeous and looks to move beautifully! Great job, can't wait to see her finished.

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 06:49:24 AM »
I would pay a lot of money for one of those  :| amazing work!! I cannot wait to see more of her

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 07:47:25 AM »
That's amazing, the computer model is art in itself! Great poses and I love the exchangeable heads. The print looks wonderful already, I can't wait to see the finished pony! 

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

SoaringSentinel

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 08:40:21 AM »
Thank you, I'm glad you guys like it :) From what i can gather i should have the remaining pieces next Wednesday. Assuming all goes well I'll only have to print 3 replacement parts because the neck is too weak. so i'm going to have to remove the bottom of the neck's lateral movement joint in order to strengthen in. then once those are in. I can start preparing the model for casting. which means a lot of long nights with a lot of primer and sandpaper.

I would pay a lot of money for one of those  :| amazing work!! I cannot wait to see more of her

You might get a chance to :P although i'm not looking to get rich off this figure. My target price at the moment is 200 dollars.(don't hold me to it though things might go horribly wrong) and I'll only do one run. once the molds break that's it. With the mold silicone i'm using, assuming all goes according to plan, I might end up with anywhere between 10 to 40 Luna's closer to 10 being the more likely. And I want at least 2 for myself, one at home and one for my desk at the office :P

Offline IreneL

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 12:35:37 PM »
That is truly amazing work! *applauds*  :shocked: :biggrin:
*drools*
Had no idea that could actually be done, atleast not "home-made".

Just curious - do you guys think Hasbro could have issues with the trademark being used? Or is it same as any other "fakie"?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 12:37:40 PM »
Wow! She looks amazing! Cant wait to see her all finished.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SoaringSentinel

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 01:21:36 PM »
That is truly amazing work! *applauds*  :shocked: :biggrin:
*drools*
Had no idea that could actually be done, atleast not "home-made".

Just curious - do you guys think Hasbro could have issues with the trademark being used? Or is it same as any other "fakie"?
Thank you :)

Well i'm not mass producing the figure and i'm not going to put it in a storefront and i'm only doing a single run of this figure. I'm not trying to compete with their business i'm merely making the figure that Hasbro apparently doesn't want to. So basically it should mean it gets the same treatment as all the other fan produced stuff. If i don't overproduce or become a threat to their business they would probably leave me alone. So the thing they would most likely try to come after me for (if they do) is if it is far superior to what they are producing. and if I get the C&D because of that then I say: mission accomplished :)

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »
Holy moly, that's amazing! Can't wait to see the final product!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal