collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro Announces Sustainable Packaging for My Little Pony  (Read 4012 times)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
Re: Hasbro Announces Sustainable Packaging for My Little Pony
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 06:45:06 AM »
Yes Please, go back to the simple way of packaging ponies!

I fully support less waste and also make it easier to get into the package.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 07:21:02 AM »
Very interesting!

Offline BrightSide

• Fairy Floss
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • There is a world inside of me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 08:05:37 AM »
Such wonderful news!

It promises lovely new pony toys for us, and better sustainability for the environment.. I think that isn't too far from perfection.  ^.^
Fight like a girl..

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 08:32:35 AM »
Actually the G4 packaging is MUCH better than the G3, in my opinion. Hasbro is doing a good job of redesigning their packaging over time to make it more efficient... when the first G3's came out, the box was entirely a plastic 4-sided piece, with the cardboard slipped inside. Then they moved to having a cardboard back piece and a plastic piece wrapped around it, but the amount of plastic and taping covering everything was so annoying! >.<

Now for the G4's we have just 2 pieces, the plastic on front is attached to the cardboard back by not too much tape and just smallish plastic tabs. I think this is a great improvement!

People complain a lot about G3/G4 packaging (I hear a lot of complaints about the 'sewing' of the hair to the back of the plastic). But you guy don't realize that if Hasbro returned to the G1 way of packaging, they would lose SO much money from people stealing ponies. Especially considering the size of the G4's, it would be easy to pop open the plastic bubble and slip the pony into your pocket! >.<

As we've seen with the blind bags, people are just too dishonest. Hasbro's new packaging methods are to protect themselves from thieves in the store, but we can see by comparing G3 and G4 packaging that they ARE trying to make it more efficient for them and easier for us to get into.

Bravo, Hasbro! Can't wait to see what you have next!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 08:58:08 AM »
Yay!  I think there is far too much plastic and general materials in the packaging.  It makes the package hard to open and a lot of garbage for every pony.

I wonder if they could ever do a cardboard only box, like how McDonalds switched from Styrofoam to cardboard?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 09:02:21 AM »
I think those little twine ties that they put the ponies into the plastic display packaging are cool.  Better than the wire ones!  Hopefully the plastics they switch to will not  cause damage when they deteriorate and people will be able to own MIB if they want to.  That's another side effect of biodegradable packaging... none of the line would be MIB after a certain point in time!  ;)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 10:42:03 AM »
This is indeed great news :D
Initially I also thought the return of G1 packages would be awesome, but I guess Dragonflitter has the point (unfortunatelly :( )

so yeah, I´ll be looking forward to seeing how they go about all this :D
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 12:23:44 PM »
Uh,
The packaging is hard to open to deter theft. New packaging probably will still be difficult to open--- but they will do it with less materials and probably sustainable inks, and materials too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a small increase of price, if they change all the materials... but I look forward to it, because I hope more companies will move in this direction. I imagine they would try to avoid this at all costs though.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 02:30:45 PM »
I completely understand that the reason for the more secure packing is in theory "theft" but I always think HB seems to wildly contradict that concept with the blind bags... :huh:
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 02:56:40 PM »
Cool, a good start would be to put recycling labels onto the plastic so you could tell if you can recycle or not.  I'm not sure if other countries have the same numbers though :p

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 03:34:46 PM »
I love that they're going green but I hope their new packaging looks good on display. In fact, for those of us who keep ponies MIB (Fashion ponies for me) I hope they use green plastic but not any of that biodegradable stuff that starts degrading in a few weeks! Just make everything recyclable, some companies even collect their packaging scrap and recycle for further use.

The MIB collector community could have some troubles. Don't get me wrong, I fully support their green movement but I want my MIB ponies to 'stand the test of time' like plastic does... but then recycle all the plastic and card if ever opened... I don't want them to melt on my shelves!  :shocked: I had a bag in my room biodegrade in just a few days.

OR, is it just less packaging and make it all recyclable?

"It’s important to note that the initiative only applies to disposable packages, such as the notorious blister packs, which explains why products like My Little Pony, Nerf and Play-Doh are priorities. Boxed games are not included in this particular initiative, since the box serves a two-for-one purpose as a shipping package and a permanent storage container."

Which packs are blister packs? The singles?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 03:43:34 PM by T.L.Squiggle »
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »
I think that's great that they're doing that. But like T.L. said, even though I myself am not a MIB pony collector (though I can't bring myself to fully debox my Venezuelans) I hope they can stand the test of time for those who prefer to keep their ponies in the boxes. I believe the current plastic they are using is in fact recyclable, but there's just so much of it! The plastic that holds the hair, the plastic that holds the comb, the plastic that holds the feet and pony in place and then the entire front/sides. They should use less packaging like G1 had. Just a piece of cardboard holding the pony with ties and a clear plastic window in the front. I'm not saying specifically this, but they could do without so much plastic being used. I've always recycled my pony boxes, but it'd be nice to have it be a little more green overall. :)
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »
Yeah, I'd fully support just a card backing, a recyclable plastic bubble and just tie everything on with strings or something... is taping stuff on green? Even just a box with a single side a plastic window of the pony, it'd limit display aesthetic but as long as it's green and doesn't melt. lol :)
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Lon-san

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 05:54:20 PM »
I think a single window in an easy-to-open cardboard box would probably lead to people opening the boxes for a better look.

...But does the little comb REALLY need it's own special case? Seriously?

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 06:04:21 PM »
Where I live my community provides recycling bins (in fact, our recycling bin is twice the size of our trash bin), where we can toss cardboard, paper, and plastic all in one.  And the plastic we can toss in is numbers 1 - 7, so it covers the majority of packaging, both food and other products.  So already all our toy packaging gets recycled.

But it's nice to know they are trying to be more efficient.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal