collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Facebook Marketplace saftey  (Read 1171 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Facebook Marketplace saftey
« on: November 10, 2022, 05:30:55 AM »
Hey :)

I've got some things I want to sell and would like to use Facebook Marketplace so it can be local pick-up. My main concern is people coming to my apartment. Most of what I'm selling would probably catch the eyes of women, but my big dollar items are my guitar and amp and (although I'm fully aware plenty of women play electric guitar) that most inquiries are going to be from men. I have a big balcony/porch. I was thinking of having the person wait outside while I bring the guitar and amp outside and they can demo it there. That way, they don't even get inside my place. The other stuff I could do the same way. Does that sound like a good plan?

I don't have anyone that can come over. My dad is having his dialysis and plus is too weak to be any help really. My niece's boyfriend is actually a cop, which would be perfect, but he's super busy. Same with my niece. And she lives at my parents house which is a good ways away, I can't ask her to drive to my place each time I get someone who wants to check out the items.

I also thought of asking one of the maintenance guys, but they too, are super busy and I don't know if they can even do such a thing while working. Probably not.

My neighbors are close and the main office is across the street, so I don't think anyone would try something. But you never know.

Do you have any experience with this type of thing? Either from Marketplace or somewhere else where you have to meet someone?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
Re: Facebook Marketplace saftey
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 06:17:23 AM »
Maybe meet in the parking lot of a store or something so it's not at your home?

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline StarryEmerald24

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 06:17:48 AM »
When I've met up with people for Facebook Marketplace or Buy Nothing I've picked a random public place like a gas station or store parking lot. I've not tried or confirmed it, but I think sometimes you can do it in front of police stations, too? Maybe you could just do the meetup outside the main office to your place, since that seems like it would be the most convenient option.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 06:51:14 AM »
There's two things I forgot to mention. I don't drive. I live on the second floor.

I can't haul my amp downstairs to go to the office. And I can't meet somewhere else because I can't drive :lol:

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 07:07:40 AM »
Really, the safest possible thing is to meet in public somewhere (I believe most police stations, for example, have a section to meet internet transactions at) or have someone on hand to help mediate. Ideally, you'd be able to still obscure where it is exactly you live. That's just the general guidelines I'm aware of, hopefully someone else can chime in with more advice.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline StarryEmerald24

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 07:17:21 AM »
If having to do it right outside your place is the best option, are there security cameras? It won't prevent anything bad happening but at least theoretically they'd be caught? If you know where the cameras are you can position yourself where the buyer would be clearly seen.

I also feel like having the item outside and waiting (with you, of course) before they arrive so no one tries to bust in as you're going in and out would make it one bit safer. Door locked, too.

Is there maybe a place nearby that buys old music equipment? If that's the only big item that'd be tough to take across the street then you can just schedule a time for someone to take you to that one place to drop it off and then you wouldn't have to worry about having someone on standby to help when a random offer comes along? Most likely it wouldn't give you the best offer but it'd be the trade off of convenience and security.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 07:54:17 AM by StarryEmerald24 »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 09:08:49 AM »
Actually, I think there are cameras around the office and if so, you can probably see my balcony on them. Otherwise the office, maintenance shed and trash compacter are the only spots with cameras.

There is a music place in town but they will try and rip me off so bad. I'll give them a call though and see what they say.

That was my plan though. To have it outside with me, door locked, waiting for the person to show up. I guess it's the best I can do. I think the proximity to my neighbors will be a discouragement. I live in a four unit apartment building and there are other units on three sides and the office across the street.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 10:38:51 PM »
You could always call your local police department (non-emergency line) and see if they could have a plain clothes officer around if you know when people are coming.  Definitely explain why you can't go to the station for the sale so they understand you're not trying to be lazy or difficult.  Worst they'll say is they can't spare anyone for something like that.  But if they can send someone then when you are showing things outside your apartment you know you have someone there but your buyers won't so then it wouldn't be as awkward.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2022, 05:50:42 AM »
That's a good idea! The complex has a police station inside it in fact. I wonder if one of them can do it. I'll call the office and see what they say. Then I'll call the other police station.

Thanks for that!

ETA: The volunteers from the community police office will help me :cheer: I've got the number and they said just to call first and make sure someone is available before I set up to meet with the buyers. It was also suggested I wear a whistle. I don't think I have one but I'm sure they're cheap.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 08:53:54 AM by BlackCurtains »

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal