collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Well, I'm not surprised.  (Read 7736 times)

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
Well, I'm not surprised.
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:17:12 AM »
I didn't see a thread for this so I'll start one.

http://derpyhoovesnews.com/:muffin: Ponies-new-voice/
So, now there is an edited version of "the Last Roundup" where :muffin: Pony's voice is changed, her name is removed from the dialogue, and her eyes are normal. I'm not surprised, honestly, with all the "OMGZ Headache :drama: Pony IZZ AN OFFENSIVE CHARACTER!!1!" crap that I've been seeing since "The Last Roundup" first aired. I can't say I'm upset because of this, but I'm not happy that it happened. And I actually like her new voice a lot better.

What do you people think?
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
Re: Well, I'm not surprised.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 08:27:01 AM »
Sorry to be ignorant, but why were people saying :muffin: Pony was offensive? Is :muffin: Pony a boy or girl? I've always thought :muffin: Pony was normal in the FIM show? xxx

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:35:12 AM »
I mean nothing against those interested in the debate on this subject....but in all honesty now I am coming down on the side of the argument which says the whole :muffin: Pony thing is over hyped, over discussed and nothing but an argument raising debate.

Hasbro do as Hasbro want...and they will have a consumer or legal or artistic reason for it...and we just need to roll with it...

But thats just my tuppence contribution...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline babymoondust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 08:38:09 AM »
The new voice is atrocious - she now has a HIDEOUSLY generic, overly saccharine voice which doesn't suit her actual character whatsoever. Great. Well done all those who sent hysterical letters to Hasbro.

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:45:15 AM »
Oh God, here we go again...

I think it's actually more offensive now as it's so badly edited it looks clear that they were trying to cover something up.  The scene was still intended as a laugh at a wall-eyed pony because she was "not quite with it", clumsy and messed everything up.  They should have just left it as it was, learned from experience and moved on.  That way the bronies/:muffin: Pony Hooves fans got what they wanted with their shout out, and those who were offended got what they wanted by never having to see a similar scene in the show again.

The people who were offended will not STOP being offended simply because the scene was edited, the old version will not die due to the fans being able to spread it around the internet.  While I hated the original and could see how people with a visual impairment might be offended by it, I think I actually hate this more.  It looks ridiculous with the "normal pony voice" over the top of the pony acting so stupidly.

I just hope Tabitha St.Germain doesn't end up with MORE hate mail over this (it's not her fault that they got her to re-record her lines and told her to voice :muffin: Pony this way this time), and that the trolling bronies don't use it as an excuse to hate mail people like myself who spoke out against the original version...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:47:09 AM by Lancer »

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 08:46:31 AM »
I'm okay with her new voice, although it seems a bit rushed. xP

I can understand why they changed it, although it would've been fine the way it was, too. And they managed to change it without anything major (she doesn't suddenly have a different name) or anything. xP

Although, the people swarming Hasbro (from BOTH sides of the argument)... some of them need to chill a little ><
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:50:14 AM »
Dropping an early warning in here so say "Keep it Civil!" We've had to lock nearly every ":muffin: Pony" thread posted lately as some people can't play nice while voicing their opinions!! Opinions are welcome; Flaming others opinions are Not!! -Cherry
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 08:52:55 AM »
Oh? Is that why :muffin: Pony was revoiced? Oh..... I can see how people may get offended but it wasnt meant to offend people, :muffin: Pony was an imaginary character that Hasbro produced because they wanted a likeable silly pony, I don't actually have an opinion on this. xxx

Offline TheGreatSpid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 08:58:23 AM »
While I'm not a huge fan of :muffin: Pony, I always thought it was kinda cool that the show would do shout outs to those that are (like how you can find her in every episode). I thought her original voice was cute, and I'm kinda sad that they changed it.

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 09:07:55 AM »
WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO HER!? she was adorable before! now she's really annoying!!! i loved :muffin: Pony before, but i really can NOT stand this new :muffin: Pony.

Offline Bunny-san

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponydex.com
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 09:10:23 AM »
Oh God, here we go again...

I think it's actually more offensive now as it's so badly edited it looks clear that they were trying to cover something up.  The scene was still intended as a laugh at a wall-eyed pony because she was "not quite with it", clumsy and messed everything up.  They should have just left it as it was, learned from experience and moved on.  That way the bronies/:muffin: Pony Hooves fans got what they wanted with their shout out, and those who were offended got what they wanted by never having to see a similar scene in the show again.

The people who were offended will not STOP being offended simply because the scene was edited, the old version will not die due to the fans being able to spread it around the internet.  While I hated the original and could see how people with a visual impairment might be offended by it, I think I actually hate this more.  It looks ridiculous with the "normal pony voice" over the top of the pony acting so stupidly.

I just hope Tabitha St.Germain doesn't end up with MORE hate mail over this (it's not her fault that they got her to re-record her lines and told her to voice :muffin: Pony this way this time), and that the trolling bronies don't use it as an excuse to hate mail people like myself who spoke out against the original version...
Not only do I agree with this ten BILLION percent, but I'd also like to point out what a HORRIBLE message this sends to kids! So, the people who were offended by :muffin: Pony were offended because of her treatement, I agree with that. She was treated poorly and it could have been handled differently. She was portrayed maybe not in the most favorable light. But look at what has happened now: Hasbro has made her normal. Those who were offended by her are now sending the message to differently abled kids that there is no place for them in normal society. That it is NOT OKAY if you are different. That you should be MADE TO BE NORMAL just like everyone else. Because now :muffin: Pony has been reanimated and revoiced just to be like everypony else. I don't think that's the message that they, either those offfended by or Hasbro, wanted to send, but that was the message I got out of it.

I adored :muffin: Pony BECAUSE of her differences. She held jobs in Ponyville, had friends, and fit in fine regardless of her supposed "disabilities". Its an important lesson for children to learn that not everyone in life will be sugar sweet to them. Rainbow Dash being mean to :muffin: Pony was an unfortonate example of that. But we GROW THROUGH ADVERSITY! If you take away adversity, then you take away chances for personal growth. People who never experience these challenges in youth don't know how to cope with them when they're older. So by trying to protect them in this way, its sort of crippling to them. I'm not saying DON'T protect your kids, but I'm just saying they can't be protected all the time from the means of the world. :\ They won't grow otherwise.

In regards to the episode, I don't care if they changed the episode. All I want is that they  acknowledge the original and keep it AVAILABLE for those who want it, in addition to the editied version, again, for those who want it, and any video releases have both audo and video versions. Its only fair to BOTH parties involved. To deny that the original ever happened is just going to leave a lot of people very unhappy, and I've already seen people petitioning to boycott hasbro over this. I kinda think Hasbro made an even bigger problem by trying to "fix" and cater to the upset few. (With appologies, all due respect and love to the upset few. :heart: )

Thank you artists for my siggys!

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:12:21 AM »
i think it would of been fine if they left her as is, and just changed how rainbow dash reacted towards her.

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 09:32:07 AM »
I understand that they did it, doesn't suprise me. I'm not keen on the 'new' :muffin: Pony, now she's just coming over to me as a 'ditzy blonde' and even if they changed the eyes in  this version all the other cameos seem to have her with the 'derp' eyes.

And Lancer, I totally agree with you, people won't suddenly stop being offended.

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline M!ndy

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 09:43:04 AM »
I wasn't comfortable with the original, but I totally agree with Lancer - They should have left it as is and learnt from it... and possibly have written ":muffin: Pony" into a later episode and given her the chance to redeem herself. This is just going to fuel the arguments  :(

:fox:

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 09:45:18 AM »
(I wasn't thinking straight earlier, so I'm hoping this is a better explanation of what I was trying to say...  :lol: )

Well, I guess they weren't going to completely re-animate and write the scene so they thought this was a good way to meet halfway.  I would have possibly liked to see :muffin: Pony renamed if she had appeared in future episodes (because, while many don't see a problem with the word, it CAN be used as a slur towards the mentally disabled), but I never saw a problem with her voice...it just sounded like one of Tabitha's general "cartoony young person" voices to me.

The problem came with the wall-eyed pony having a dopey voice AND being clumsy AND having the "I don't know what I'm doing - I'm dumb" personality all at once and then Rainbow Dash telling her to go and sit in the corner and "do nothing" like she was inferior to the other ponies and unable to do anything.  "You look different or don't understand something?  Go away, you're a nuisance."  That was NOT a positive message to send out to the kids watching this show.

Should they have written it in the first place?  No.  Should they have corrected it once it had already been released and aired on children's TV?  No.  It's just made the whole thing a hundred times worse and upset everybody involved.

I would have liked to see :muffin: Pony return in future episodes complete with lazy eye and her slightly silly voice but under a different name and playing a more positive role.  If she had actually been portrayed in FiM as having a job (other than dropping a heavy package on somebody's head, showing AGAIN that she couldn't do anything properly!), had friends and family who loved her regardless of her differences and had been shown to have a real purpose other than, "HA HA!  Look, the silly pony can't do anything right!  Let's laugh at her!", I don't think anybody would have had a problem with her.

In short, the problem was not with :muffin: Pony herself, but with the portrayal of "clumsy" :muffin: Pony who can't do anything right...which we still see in the "edited" scene, only she has "normal" eyes and a "normal" voice now so it's okay.  What the...?  I think I'm just going to forget this whole thing ever happened.  It's an embarrassment to the MLP franchise as a whole. >.<

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal