collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: American Girl  (Read 44464 times)

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
Re: American Girl
« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2016, 01:35:28 PM »

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2016, 03:40:01 PM »
Thank you Skeen! I know just what you mean. I have a box of 18in size doll clothes that my granny made and gave to me. Some of them aren't even themes I'd pick myself (like the ballet dancer one) but they mean so much to me. I worry more about taken them places than I do about the super expensive AG meet outfit!

I hadn't seen that article yet, sailorstitch, but I did see photos of the clothes/accessories/dolls for sale at TRUs on the leak blog. I'm absolutely THRILLED! The prices are only like $1 more expensive, which is really nothing in the long run compared to shipping. I hope they focus on TRU stores far from AG stores. The nearest store (temporary store) to me is 11 hours away, but we have a TRU (one of two in the entire state) just down the road. If Wellies were stocked there I'd actually have a chance at them, and SO many children would find them who might not see them otherwise!

It also might be an easier way for people to actually buy them, not just shipping wise. I know grandparents are often a target for buying AG stuff for grandkids but not every senior has a computer or a way to order things online. This will make it a lot easier for those types of grandparents to buy them.

Overall I'm just happy :D I think its a great move and it does nothing to devalue AG store trips. Going to an AG store and going to TRU are completely different experiences that can't be compared, but its unreasonable to expect AG stores to be everywhere even if it would be awesome. Plus TRU has sales and coupons :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2016, 08:09:05 PM »
Anybody else see this?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/mattels-american-girl-to-be-sold-in-toys-r-us-stores-1472643023

sailorstitch

Yea!  :cheer:  It is much easier for me to get to TRU then it is to get to the AG store (though there is one about 45 minutes away; I just never get over there.)  Though that might be kind of dangerous, come to think of it...  :D

As for Maryellen's holiday dress, looking at it...  from my limited knowledge of fashion, I *think* that looks more 1950s than early 1960s (with it's hourglass shape.)  It may have been contemporary but I don't think it was ever Melody's.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2016, 07:11:11 AM »
Oh I was going to say that mom was thinking since she was a 1950's girl that what is wrong with the Christmas dress is the skirt it not full enough, the color combination is not something she remembers and the bow was done incorrectly at the waist.  Now it could swing into the 60's but it would have to be pre 1965 and still the bow would be better in the center straight or to the side straight.  They did make that style dress in the early 60's and it was not as flared out as it's 1950's version, but color...meh.  Not sure on that one.

Special occasion styles as they called it in the 1950's were fuller circle style skirts.  That would include birthday dresses, Christmas or Easter dresses and the like.  Here is a fun site to see that school dresses were different than special occasion and  you will see the fullness because, they wore fluffy slips under those dresses.  The Bolero sweater is right for the time. I think with this AG dress they tried to do a belt version on the front of the bodice.  The bow would always be straight and not on its side.  I looked through all my doll clothes and I have this as an example from the 50's.
Oh and I really do believe that the fabrics for special occasion would have been much fancier as taffeta was popular though they did have some more tailored looks too.  Obviously, its no big deal really.  I just wish they had put a little more effort in a Christmas dress than that.  It had all the right elements just missing that flare I personally would like to see.  I am really into doll fashion and costuming.  So I guess I am picky nicky. ROFLOL

Here is a dress with that bodice style, please ignore the fact that it is stained and faded it is quite old.  Fullness of the skirt...

So, maybe we can figure out what they were looking at when they came up with that outfit? Hmmmm

Enjoy this fashion page. I love looking at it.

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1950skidsfashion.html
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:58:12 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 01, 2016, 12:59:17 PM »
^ Thanks for the link! I like to use http://www.wishbookweb.com/ for inspiration on historical clothing.

sailorstitch

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 01, 2016, 01:41:33 PM »
Oh yes, i love that site too.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2016, 02:06:36 PM »
I hope my local TRU will be one of the Ones that has AG items. The closet AG store is 6 hours away from me. I still can't find MaryEllen's second book.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2016, 12:43:21 PM »
I went to Target yesterday and got Melody three new outfits from OG. New pictures have been added to my Melody album. (Link back on page 11.)

sailorstitch

Offline scarletjul

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 05, 2016, 05:36:38 PM »
I went to Target yesterday and got Melody three new outfits from OG. New pictures have been added to my Melody album. (Link back on page 11.)

sailorstitch

I just looked at your album.  Such cute pics!  :)

Which ones are the Target outfits, though?  I only recognize the yellow sweater/plaid skirt combo (I've been eyeing it myself.)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2016, 01:17:06 PM »

sailorstitch

I just looked at your album.  Such cute pics!  :)

Which ones are the Target outfits, though?  I only recognize the yellow sweater/plaid skirt combo (I've been eyeing it myself.)

pink sweater vest/white blouse/plaid skirt
pink dress/pink coat
pink shirt/purple shorts
orange turtleneck/burgundy jumper

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2016, 01:16:25 AM »
Oh Tula that link is going to be my doom!!! So many cute outfits I want for Maryellen!!

And I love Melody's new outfits, sailorstitch! They look so great on her. Pink and blue are gorgeous with her coloring.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2016, 09:10:50 PM »
We're going to California for Christmas and that can only mean one thing: American Girl store!!!!

I've never gone despite living so close to AGPLA for most of my life. I can't wait! If all goes according to plan I'll be bringing home Rebecca or Willa. I'm trying to sell off everything I can to fund an awesome little AG spending spree. I'd love to get an outfit or two for Maryellen as well, if I can. And if I really want to dream big, maybe mini Melody too!

Offline scarletjul

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2016, 09:05:28 PM »
We're going to California for Christmas and that can only mean one thing: American Girl store!!!!

I've never gone despite living so close to AGPLA for most of my life. I can't wait! If all goes according to plan I'll be bringing home Rebecca or Willa. I'm trying to sell off everything I can to fund an awesome little AG spending spree. I'd love to get an outfit or two for Maryellen as well, if I can. And if I really want to dream big, maybe mini Melody too!

Ooh, what fun!  :)  Are you going to the Los Angeles store? 
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #178 on: September 24, 2016, 06:40:06 AM »
Yep! :D Its really close to where we lived for a while so I'm super pumped. I'm hoping to squeeze in one big day trip and one or two small visits if I can.

Offline sailorstitch

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2016, 01:25:46 PM »
I got a postcard in the mail this morning telling me that there's going to be an AG Fashion Show in my neck of the woods this Nov! I've never been to one of their fashion shows before. And this is probably my last chance because AG is doing away with the whole fashion show thing. :(

Now I just have to decide which one of my girl sized historical dresses/outfits I want to wear.....

sailorstitch

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal