collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I've Hit A Collecting Wall  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
I've Hit A Collecting Wall
« on: July 10, 2016, 03:33:37 PM »
I just realized I have just about all the ponies I want.  I guess there are upgrades and find ponies MOC.

I'm not the kind of person who wants EVERYTHING of something.  I completed a Pokedex a grand total of once, and that was during the first generation.  When I play a Pokemon game, I catch Pokemon I like.

Ponies are much the same way.  I collect ponies I like.  And, I have them all.

I thought I might go with themes.  I have considered a "weather" theme to complete.  I have Wind Whistler, Gusty, Sunlight.  So; Firefly, Sprinkles, Parasol, Windy, Powder, Snowflake, the Year 5 flutter ponies from the first five years.  North Star would complete a geography set all by herself.  Then there's astronomy...oh boy.

Still, I think I'm collected out.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
Re: I've Hit A Collecting Wall
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 03:40:58 PM »
Me too pretty much but because of lack of room. I'd like some of the Guardians of Harmony stuff.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 03:57:21 PM »
Eh, if happens. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have all you want, especially if your happy with it.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 03:59:40 PM »
I'm getting very close myself. I only wanted ~20-25 G1s and now only need 2 of them.

With G3 I have ~50 and I'm debating whether or not to add a couple.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 04:02:51 PM »
Thanks.  And I am happy.  I guess I'm just a small time collector.

I also have room issues.  My ponies are displayed in my bedroom wherever they fit and look nice.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 05:46:10 PM »
I'm that way with schleich horses, I only need a few more and I'm done.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Kittywhiskers

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • Kai, he/him or they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 06:49:45 PM »
I understand. If you're happy, you're happy - don't force yourself to get ponies you don't like.

I also stick to just getting the ponies I want, including specific themes relating to things I like. I can't possibly collect all of them, and not just because of lack of space! This is the only thing that will ever work. There are simply too many ponies, some of which are way too expensive. I'd have better luck catching every Pokemon. And my bank account would thank me.

Now to get Dutch Baby Cat, Kingsley, and Pumpkin Tart... and maybe breed some more Purrloin with Pay Day and Assist...  :silly:
Cannot have anything scented in the house, unfortunately. Seeking the unscented, magnetless variant of Thistle Whistle. (And wishing the other Sunny Scent ponies got similar ones, because they're lovely. *sigh*)

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 07:22:42 PM »
Things like downsizing, reaching a saturation point or simply being done, either temporarily or permanently, don't get discussed as much as acquiring and being excited over new stuff but are just as much part of collecting. I'm glad you bring this topic up. It's not a bad thing but it can bring up some interesting feelings. Not all of us have a goal to collect in perpetuity. I know I'll be done whenever G4 ends, possibly even sooner. I think I may actually be hitting a wall soon. I've been overwhelmed by my collection a few times before and downsizing always helped but I'm getting to a point where I've downsized so much already and though still want a few ponies I've gotten very picky about what I collect.

That is good you've realized you've hit this point and are happy about it. If you are concerned about what to do next, like you are done collecting but you aren't done with pony in general, maybe try to think of ways to enjoy the ponies you have more. You can take pictures, work on your display, etc.  :good:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 07:29:38 PM »
I have hit the wall a few times. I go threw stages when I collect and buy everything that I can afford! Then I get over whelmed and sell off a lot of them. Or I still off a lot of them when I need some extra funds. I feel bad and then buy them back at a later date. Now that I am getting older I am more happy just having ones that I really like and not about how many I have. Right now I am kind of at a stand still with buying new ponies. I have bought a few new Breyer horses but they are just so expensive. So I will sit back and enjoy what I have right now. :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:33:00 PM by achab1984 »

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 09:41:09 PM »
I have hit the wall a few times. I go threw stages when I collect and buy everything that I can afford! Then I get over whelmed and sell off a lot of them. Or I still off a lot of them when I need some extra funds. I feel bad and then buy them back at a later date. Now that I am getting older I am more happy just having ones that I really like and not about how many I have. Right now I am kind of at a stand still with buying new ponies. I have bought a few new Breyer horses but they are just so expensive. So I will sit back and enjoy what I have right now. :)

I do something similar.  I buy a lot, go through and sell some when I feel overwhelmed or need the funds and then sometimes buy them back when I have more money or feel like I miss them.  It keeps me collecting.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Tribble79

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 11:21:20 PM »
I only collect customs, and custom plush. I still pick up ponies if i find them at a yardsales or thrift stores, but other than that I don't buy any regular ponies.

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 12:24:17 AM »
I hit a wall a while back ,space is one reason and the other that I pretty much.... just waiting on some I don't have to come up someday , I still add here and there to my armies of the ponies I like which are many :) when i find them as bargains or if they are upgrades ,mostly I end up keeping all of them  :biggrin:.
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 01:28:09 AM »
I'm at a good stage. I have a big collection that I am planning to rotate and enjoy and I'm still looking for some ponies accessories as well. I feel like I'll never get those last few things and then one pops up!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 04:08:38 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I'm happy this is something people understand.

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 04:58:51 AM »
I can totally understand that wall, I've had it many times, but since I've started hunting online and also finding out about ponies that weren't available in my area, my wantlist has started growing again.
Mostly though other than if I see certain few that really jump out at me I would be stoked to just be able to get all the ones I remember playing with in my childhood. Luckily I still have almost all of my childhood ponies so now I've been mostly 'looking' for ones that my childhood best friend had because of feeling like my childhood collection would not be complete without them. I wish her actual ponies still existed so that I could get them from her but alas I believe her aunt and cousin threw them out when she moved away. :(
Though it still seems like I am always discovering or re-discovering in the case of many G1 ponies that I do want to add to my herd, but for the later generations they've really got to be something special for me to NEED them in my collection.
Unfortunately I'm a collector by nature so even when not seeking ponies, there is always something else I am trying to get more of. So many things so little space (and money) xD

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal