collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cost effective shipping methods and First Class vs Parcel Post?  (Read 4107 times)

Offline mshesha

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • G1 convert
    • View Profile
Hello, I just started trading and realized minimizing shipping cost is a must. I've  received some cool packages lately like inside out boxes, paper bag mailers, customized priority mail boxes... what other tricks do you all know about and would like to share?  Or where do you get your supplies from?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 05:58:51 PM by mshesha »

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Cost effective shipping methods
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »
Most bubble wrap sheets are easily recycled, just remove any existing tape :) I always re-use bubblewrap as long as it's not ripped.

I'm really conscious of the carbon footprint created by my buying/selling so I recycle almost everything. Boxes that are too beaten up to be reused go in the recycling to be picked up; boxes that can be re-used get reinforced with tape around the middle. And you can re-use priority boxes as long as the "priority" label is covered up (either by turning the box inside-out or just putting paper over them) if you want to ship non-priority. And you can get priority boxes for free from the post office in large quantities :)

I always save styrofoam packing peanuts I receive too, I keep them in a huge cardboard box and stuff them in packages I send as needed.  I've also noticed that I get tons of plastic bags in buying, so I save them and use them when I ship ponies too.

So far I haven't spent any money on boxes, packing peanuts, bubble wrap, or styrofoam. I shift the savings to buying tissue paper and pony stickers, because people really enjoy that personal touch.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline mshesha

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • G1 convert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 08:44:05 PM »
Thanks babystarz, that's very eco-conscious. :satisfied:

hikari_amaya

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 02:10:43 AM »
Go to a dollar store type place for stuff :) I get my bubble mailers that way :)

Offline AusMLP

• The Pony from Aus
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • Parasol & PoD Customs Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 02:19:54 AM »
Just be aware that some places are trying to ban those packing peanuts since they are non-degradable.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 07:49:11 AM »
In which case, head to the kids crafts and pick up some of those corn based nugget things.  Fun and function!
:socks:   :frog:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 07:50:22 AM »
I am pretty sure people are not supposed to be using priority boxes for non-priority mail.

Anyway, I get boxes + bubble wrap from a friend who gets them at her office. I reuse all the boxes/bubblemailers that get mailed to me. I /never/ buy boxes or bubblewrap. And I buy my bubblemailers in bulk if i have no spares. (I try to buy the smallest possible for less waste).

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 08:13:47 AM »
I am pretty sure people are not supposed to be using priority boxes for non-priority mail. 

Ha, yeah, I asked a woman working at the post office about this and she told me that while they're not supposed to tell people it's ok, they really don't care as long as the labels are covered up.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 05:38:09 PM »
I save lots of stuff from the grocery store I work at. When I see small boxes that would work then I will bring them home. I use plastic shopping bags to pack with along with reused peanuts. I reuse all of my padded mailer envelopes. I use the used ones first but I bought a case of them from staples for fairly cheap.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »
I do the same as the others mentioned here TBH - recycle wherever possible-  especially boxes and bubble wrap and packing noodles. I sometimes reuse bubble mailers as well if they are in good condition, but I also keep a supply of new bubble mailers in that I buy cheap from the local discount shops for much less than they are at the PO ;)  I also get my tape from there.
 Parcels I get from online shopping such as at the Disney store, tend to have tissue, or those air bag thingies in them so I'll save those and reuse those as well as the boxes  :relaxed: 
Local shops will often have cardboard boxes that they will let you have free of charge if you ask - that way they dont have to worry about getting rid of them/recycling them so they are often happy to let you have them  :)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline mshesha

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • G1 convert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 04:36:32 AM »
Thank you. Those are very good tips. I'll start saving my bubble mailers and check out the dollar stores and Staples. :satisfied:

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 02:37:28 AM »

Ha, yeah, I asked a woman working at the post office about this and she told me that while they're not supposed to tell people it's ok, they really don't care as long as the labels are covered up.
I don't know about this.  I know a friend who did this and the PO opened it to look and tried to charge the buyer the extra money for Priority.  So I would not suggest doing it.

:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline emery

• Dr. Quinn, Medicine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+488)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • emery's emporium - My Little Ponies & other toys for sale
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 05:03:22 PM »
I would not suggest using Priority boxes for any mail other than Priority. They give those away for free IF you are using their Priority service... it's just kinda a slap in their face to use them for non-Priority mail. Because of people turning them inside out they have had to resort to printing on the inside of the boxes as well. I prefer to listen to the warning on printed on them and not violate any federal laws.

That being said there are plenty of places you can get free boxes to use for First Class and Parcel Post! Check with your local 24 hour grocery store and see when they stock shelves. If I need boxes I just go up to my local grocery store in the morning and they will have carts full of the empty flattened boxes and I can take whatever I want. There are usually a good variety of sizes which then requires less packing material if you find a box close to the size of your items.

If you are looking to save money on actual shipping costs then definitely take advantage of online shipping through Paypal or through the USPS website. You get shipping discounts, free or discounted delivery confirmation and if it's an ebay item you can even print First Class International shipping online.

If you know anyone who works at a location that receives a lot of shipped items you can always ask them to save bubble wrap or packing peanuts. My dad works at a college and has been able to get me plenty of free packing peanuts that way and sometimes bubble mailers too for items he receives. You can also post on places like your local Freecycle and see if anyone has any packing materials to give away. Heck, I even posted on Facebook about it once when I was running low and I got 2 huge bags of supplies!
My Little Ponies and other toys for sale on....
Facebook @EmerysVintageEmporium
Instagram @emerys_emporium

Offline mshesha

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • G1 convert
    • View Profile
Re: Cost effective shipping methods and First Class vs Parcel Post?
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 06:04:35 PM »
One more question:  When should I use First Class and when should I use parcel post?  Let's say I want to mail a bubble mailer with a few ponies, can I send them first class (sometimes cheaper and faster, according to the online quote)?  Thanks for enlightening me  :)

Offline ristvak

• Trade Count: (+88)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Cost effective shipping methods and First Class vs Parcel Post?
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »
Parcel Post comes into play when something is too heavy to go First Class. It's always quoted at 7 - 10 days for delivery, and Priority Mail, more often than not, is within $2 of the PP cost and quoted with half the delivery time. Usually if I can't go first class, I just ignore Parcel Post and go straight to Priority. Especially if you buy it online (usps click n ship) where you get a discount and free delivery confirmation, sometimes Priority comes out cheaper (or nearly the same cost) as Parcel Post at the PO!
If you haven't received feedback from me, give me a nudge!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal