collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: score one for the good guys! lol  (Read 3642 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Re: score one for the good guys! lol
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 12:30:47 AM »
First annoying quote: "Bronies say they're a misunderstood lot who've gotten a bad rap from the media." Yes, because "the media" put out all of that awful behavior on the internet. Right. The media made death threats by the hundred to anyone who disagreed? The 'bad rap' was completely invented wholesale purely to make you look bad! That makes perfect sense! :rolleyes: If there's one thing I can't stand, it's lying about the problematic elements in your fandom. Yeah, every fandom has problems, it's typical - so don't blame it on the media.

From Faust: "They're proud that they're forward-thinking and modern enough to look past this misogynistic attitude."

AAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I cannot agree more. At least it sounds like the article is hilarious.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline RedLynx

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 04:28:20 AM »
To quote the article, "It's colorful and innocent, which is something I don't have in my life," the 26-year-old Sam's Club worker said."  Unfortunately it's the way that the fandom spoils this innocence in their appreciation of the show that upsets me and makes me sad.  I'm happy it is appreciated by everyone, but MLP has been a safe, innocent keeper of my childhood and I don't like the direction the new fandom takes it sometimes.  Makes me feel wary.  Especially as a new mom.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:31:14 AM by RedLynx »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 04:38:17 AM »
The article is a mainly positive one even if it does gloss over a lot of elements but its not snide or derogatory as some have been against ANY kind of collector in the past - so thats a good thing I feel.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Pinecone

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 05:48:52 AM »
Was there really much negative press? I mostly saw articles that said "OMG y'all, men are watching a cartoon for little girls!" for the novelty factor. I don't know what they're expecting--praise?

The comments are pretty terrible, yes. @.@ I was fool to read them and already found homophobia.

Phekzhen

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 08:30:49 AM »
Was there really much negative press? I mostly saw articles that said "OMG y'all, men are watching a cartoon for little girls!" for the novelty factor. I don't know what they're expecting--praise?

The comments are pretty terrible, yes. @.@ I was fool to read them and already found homophobia.

The negative parts of fandoms very, VERY rarely hit mainstream media. I only know this really happening with the furry fandom because of the CSI episode: it portrayed furries as sexual deviants. Since Bronycon was so huge, it's a good novelty piece to cover, especially to run for the weekend paper, which is always a lot bigger than weekdays. Bronycon isn't "hard news," and the weekend issues are always full of fluff, so this was an easy enough piece for journalists to write and for readers to read.

Comments are always nasty, even on the most innocent of articles. People always feel the need to put their two cents into an online article. I try to avoid comments on articles unless I only want a laugh and I'm in a mood where I'm not going to be offended.

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 09:31:27 AM »
You know, it's nice to see an article that does not make fun of MLP collectors.  I didn't even bother to read the comments, I could care less what other people think.  It looks like everyone at BronyCon had a really fun time:) 

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »
 Very good article!  I see nothing wrong with people of all ages, male or female liking MLP or any other cartoons. Yeah some may take it too far (very graphic images if you get my meaning) but you will have people that do that in every crowd be it anime,mlp,star wars, and so on.. I don't know if it is right or not,but I have never really put labels on people for example, I look at myself as a MLP lover as well as a lover of cartoons in general and I look at others that way,weather they are male or female even if they only like Fim(which is still mlp) or if they just like anime or whatever... That is just me though. The only thing that has ever bothered me is the lack of respect people show each other in regards to the "this gen. is better than that gen." and so on. I will leave it at that though because I don't want to take a chance in upsetting anyone and if I have I am sorry for that was not my intention at all. It was very nice though to read about Faust standing up for guys that liked the show and that liked being involved in things that are MLP.
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 12:03:17 PM »
You know, it's nice to see an article that does not make fun of MLP collectors.  I didn't even bother to read the comments, I could care less what other people think.  It looks like everyone at BronyCon had a really fun time:) 

This!  So many articles about the Brony/MLP craze in the last year took a "haha, look how silly these adults are, liking little kid tv shows" slant.  I think we can all agree that's a frustrating brush to be painted with.

Elf

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 03:41:58 PM »
I like Bronys, it just saddens me we (Previous gen fans who liked ponies before them, regardless of gender) are becoming a minority in our own fanbase. :(

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 04:36:50 PM »
We need to bridge the gap between collectors and Bronies. We all enjoy MLP, in one way or another.

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 05:21:20 PM »
We need to bridge the gap between collectors and Bronies. We all enjoy MLP, in one way or another.

Completely agree!

I really wish people would stop viewing bronies as a totally different species from old school MLP fans. The main difference is that bronies are fans of the cartoon first and foremost, while previously the MLP fandom was always more focused on the toys. But there have always been and will always be exceptions, there are old school fans who love the original shows, as well as there are bronies who love the toys (and have ventured into older generations without hating them).

The MLP fandom has always been a very mixed bag, some like customs, some like nirvanas, some like art, some like stories, some like different generations... everyone has some part they don't care for, but as long as everyone likes candy-colored ponies in whatever form, there is a great chance our interests will overlap at some point. And that is what we should focus on. Not strive to separate us fans into two separate camps (like in the old days of G1 vs G2... we still haven't come a long way from that mentality).

It's amazing that a MLP cartoon has generated enough interest for something like this to happen! I think everyone should be proud! After all, it was Faust's love for the original toy ponies that helped inspire this fantastic cartooon.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 05:32:40 PM »

Get bronies as a whole to respect older collectors/generations, as well as each other, and you've got yourself a deal.
But that's not going to happen.

The Arena is able to be so varied because of respect. We respect each other and our collecting, even if we don't agree 100% on everything. If some of us don't agree with the norm, we're not flamed or bashed or sent death threats. We actively work to create a kind, accepting community that doesn't tolerate jerks. If bronies as a whole weren't so rude and disrespectful to anyone who dares to think differently from them and anyone who enjoys older generations, I'd respect them as a whole. But they don't so I sure won't. Obviously individual basis is completely different, as I have respect for many bronies I've met here, but as a whole I do not respect them or their fandom.

And honestly, does anyone really think bronies as a whole care if we accept them or not? Unless they're part of our community, they probably couldn't care any less. They have their own forums and communities.

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 05:46:31 PM »
This is a friendly reminder to please NOT turn this into a 'collector vs collector' ' bronies vs oldbie' etc debate. I don't want to have to lock this. Thank you.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2012, 05:58:26 PM »
...previously the MLP fandom was always more focused on the toys. But there have always been and will always be exceptions, there are old school fans who love the original shows...
I never realized I was an exception XD I think FiM is great, and all the new positive parts of the MLP fan community that have come from it are really a big deal, I just wish it hadn't taken so long for everyone to realize the potential MLP I think always had!

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 03:02:44 AM »
It was a nice article and I do like the fact that My Little Ponies are getting the positive attention they deserve :)

With that beeing said I just wanted to put my two cents in and hoping I manage to do so without violating anything hehe.

If we wanna bridge the gap and remove the "us vs. them" mentality, shouldn't the term Brony be dropped in that case? Because, to me at least, that term in itself singles people out which I think is a shame =/ Creating terms like that in any case will give people the idea that they are a "clique of their own".

I personaly have nothing against that guys are loving the show and get drawn into the ponylove because of it. I think it's great, if they genuinly like it. I do fear alot call themselves Bronies because it's the current "thing" though, and as soon as a new thing takes over alot will completely forget about this =/
However, I also do believe that when this trend dies down we will know for sure who genuinly love the ponies and will see alot of new members in the genral pony community who all love ponies, no matter what aspect we happen to love of it.
And I also do believe that when the trend dies down and people start moving on to the next thing you will see that the loudmouths who give "Bronies" a bad rep by beeing so hostile will go away too.

For now I think we all should just enjoy the attention My Little Ponies are getting (because we all know they deserve it), appriciate that we get so many new great people in the pony community and just give it all time. This is a relatively new thing and in time when everyone and everything has settled down we will see the gap fade on its own :)

Hope I didn't offend anyone with this and that I made some sense hehe :)

For now all I can say... "Yay our beloved My Little Ponies are getting some well deserved attention!" :)
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal