collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A not so joyous reunion...  (Read 4750 times)

Artsy Craftsy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: A not so joyous reunion...
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 05:14:44 AM »
You guys are so amazing!  :cry: I feel so much better from hearing all your kind and thoughtful words!

I have to go to my grandpa's birthday today, but when I can tonight I'll be taking photos to post here! I have quite a few so it might take a little bit :)

Again, thank you all so much! I know I can fix my friends up!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 06:35:50 AM »
*pony hugs*  Yep, the "adult eyes" really change how you remember toys.  :)  But don't worry!

Check out these links of restored ponies - if these people can clean up THESE ponies, I bet yours will be gorgeous with a bit of effort and time!

Restoration and Major Cleaning Threads:

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,284896.0.html

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,288488.0.html

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,288066.0.html

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,290518.0.html

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,294142.0.html

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,294778.0.html

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,294558.0.html

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,295640.0.html

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,296298.15.html

If you get lost or stuck, just post pics and we are glad to help you!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 06:37:38 AM »
*hugs*   It sounds like your ponies have honorable battle damage from turning real.

The Skin Horse had lived longer in the nursery than any of the others. He was so old that his brown coat was bald in patches and showed the seams underneath, and most of the hairs in his tail had been pulled out to string bead necklaces.

"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »
More pony hugs!!!!!!!!  And some kitty snuzzles from my Lily Blossom. 
:socks:   :frog:

Ianthe99

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 07:29:52 AM »
Ack.. the Velveteen Rabbit always makes me cry. I have a bunny like that.

Anyway.. It'll be ok. You can certainly nurse them back into shape. Conditioner and soap and water can work wonders. If you're talking about the smooze that looks like blackheads, that can be removed too.  When you get 'round  to getting pics, I'm sure the pony experts here can guide you to all you need to know to make them the best they can be!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 07:53:14 AM »
I absolutely agree with what everyone said :) My childhood ponies were in a rough spot after having been played with for years but then I checked out some tutorials here and my ponies just transformed from ugly ducklings into beautiful swans :) Some still have issues though, like cut hair etc, but that makes them that more special ^^

Think of this as giving back to your ponies, they will be so happy to be with you and made pretty again :)

Oh, and just to share one of my cases, here is my childhood Streaky. She was filthy, her mane curls were gone and she had a mane trim :( Then i decided to clean her up and try a curling method someone posted here on the Arena, and voila! :)

~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 09:34:27 AM »
*hugs*   It sounds like your ponies have honorable battle damage from turning real.

The Skin Horse had lived longer in the nursery than any of the others. He was so old that his brown coat was bald in patches and showed the seams underneath, and most of the hairs in his tail had been pulled out to string bead necklaces.

"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

*sniffles*  The Velveteen Rabbit always makes me cry.  But I think of it whenever I see an old loved toy (like my husband's little stuffed dog, "Nook." who is on his 3rd nose, has holes in his face, and his fur is all nappy.  He is one of the rattiest, most loved toys I've ever seen and still sleeps in bed with us lol)

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 11:17:37 AM »
:hug:

Well done, whoever quoted the Velveteen Rabbit - such a lovely story (and a tearjerker!!)

I'd like to share "Jack", my childhood Powder - much abused, but still loved. (The photo is a bit fuzzy but it shows all the stains and icky on his poor body)

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 11:42:05 AM »
Don't be sad... I'm sure they'll clean up beautifully, and taking ponies to the salon always makes me happy. :)

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 12:01:14 PM »
Aww I am sorry, that mist have been very upsetting :( I am sure you will be able to clean them up, and even if you can't make them perfect again they will still be the ponies you loved and cherished as a kid :hug: xxx
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 12:54:38 PM »
I want to be encouraging, so I dug up some before and after pics of what ponies can become with a little TLC <3

Before, Cupcake :(

AFTER

Quackers Before :(

Quackers AFTER :D

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 01:11:56 PM »
*hugs*  I'm sure they'll clean up wonderfully.  And even if they have some physical flaws, that just shows how much you loved them as a child.  They'll always be your childhood ponies and will have those good memories associated with them.  I would give much of my adult collection to be reunited with my childhood ponies, warts and all.

*resumes sniffling over The Velveteen Rabbit*

Elf

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 01:57:40 PM »
As others have said its true that our adult eyes on our childhood ponies often show flaws we were never worried about when younger.

However, that being said definitely don't let it get you down! People on here are packed full of useful tips about restoration and with some pictures hopefully we can all point you in the right direction of how to fix them up! Good luck and good for you getting those ponies out of storage so you can enjoy them again.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Betelgeuse

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
Now it's your turn to love, nurture and take care of them. Just like they did for you. I wish you the best of luck, I'm sure they'll be gorgeous after some TLC.

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 06:21:56 PM »
Yes, just clean them up.   It will be OK, and probably a lot of fun for you!   Restoring a beloved toy can feel like therapy, at least it does to me.  <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal