collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Stupid mice got into my ponies!  (Read 2602 times)

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid mice got into my ponies!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 06:17:32 PM »
I third the Nature's Miracle.  Keep us posted please, you never know when info might be needed.  :)
:socks:   :frog:

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 07:50:01 PM »
That sucks!  I think mice are cute, as long as they are pets, or they live outside.  I do have to say that I'm glad they didn't chew anything!  That would be much harder to fix.  And Nature's Miracle is amazing.

Good luck!

Offline BlueChaos

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 08:36:35 AM »
So here I am, scrubbing ponies with hand soap.  I had hives up to my elbows due to that nasty mouse allergy. DX

My Blossom looks like Two-Face, and my Cotton Candy is an odd shade of brownish pink. I have tail rust and some smooze to deal with that I didn't before. I haven't touched the So Softs yet, because I'm not sure on how to clean them. The same thing goes with the Brush and Grows and the talking ponies. I'm not even half way done. How do I put curls back into Goldilock's mane?

On the plus side, my cat brought me a "present" this morning. I'm proud of him.

Moonracer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 08:52:18 AM »
Ewww... as much as I love mice (or any kind of rodent for that matter), I wouldn't want any one of them get near my ponies that's for sure!

Sorry such thing happened to you. :( At least it's great that the mice didn't decide to take a bite of one of your ponies...

As for advice, first off I'd disinfect them - who knows what kind of bacteria might've been carried by those mice. It could become a potential health risk for you and others who'd handle these ponies. So be sure to give them a nice bath in a hot water filled with some anti-bacterial detergents (I'd go with the soaps first, such as Carex).

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »
So here I am, scrubbing ponies with hand soap.  I had hives up to my elbows due to that nasty mouse allergy. DX

My Blossom looks like Two-Face, and my Cotton Candy is an odd shade of brownish pink. I have tail rust and some smooze to deal with that I didn't before. I haven't touched the So Softs yet, because I'm not sure on how to clean them. The same thing goes with the Brush and Grows and the talking ponies. I'm not even half way done. How do I put curls back into Goldilock's mane?

Well done cat! You may want to advise him that if he could commit serial mouse murder doing it pre them getting to the ponies would be preferable!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 02:16:14 PM »

Ooh no! I'm terribly allergic to rodents too! You have my empathy on that one :(

Here are some suggestions for the ponies you're dealing with, granted I haven't cleaned some of those types before but I'll note that:

- Brush n' Grows can be cleaned like other ponies. I have actually dunked my  B n' G Princesses in the bath tub before (lol! As a kid!) and their mechanisms were fine. So getting them wet isn't going to hurt them, I just wouldn't advise full submersion. And clean them with their hair fully extended and do not wind it back up until it's completely dry.

- *Haven't tried this* For the talking ponies, I would say take out the batteries of course. Then replace the cover and clean as normal, taking care not to get water near the speaker or battery area. Once you're done cleaning, take off the battery cover again so there's no moisture inside and allow to dry. If you think there's no way to avoid getting water in their mechanisms, then give them a wipe-down with a germ-killing wipe instead. I love Clorox wipes. Then carefully shampoo and condition the mane and tail separately.

- The So-Softs - what condition are they in? If they're really bad you might just want to go ahead and take off their heads and dunk them completely in warm water with a low concentration of bleach for a few minutes, keeping an eye on them to make sure the bleach isn't damaging them. The warm water may loosen the glue a bit, so after soaking them be very gentle about rinsing them. Once the glue has had about 15 minutes to re-harden, you can gently scrub with a  cotton rag and antibacterial soap to get any remaining yuckies out of their flocking.

-Goldilocks - does she have ringlets? If so, wrap sections of the hair around drinking straws and secure with a bobby pin to let them air dry. They should be perfect ringlets when finished.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 02:31:50 PM »
If I may.... a tip on curling...  I was attempting to curl two of my ponies' manes this afternoon with straw sections and bobby pins and was failing miserably.  The sections of hair were just so slippery and it took forever to wrap them around the straw.  I googled "how to style my little pony hair" and found out what I was doing wrong. 

http://www.mlptp.net/tutorials/styling.html

Folding the sections of hair into two squares of toilet paper before rolling makes the job MUCH quicker and easier. :-)

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 02:51:23 PM »
Get yourself to the store and buy some peppermint essential oil! Mice HATE the smell of it. Put a few drops of the essential oil on a cotton ball in the box with your ponies.  You'll have to refresh it ever 4-6 weeks to keep the mice out, but it works like a charm.

I've had major issues with mice before.  They kept getting into my pantry and eating any chocolate I had.  I had to throw away all of my chocolate molds :'(  Ever since I started the cotton balls with peppermint oil, I haven't had a single problem.  Well, Misty probably helps too ;)  But she's never brought me any offerings.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »
I have nothing constructive to add, but this is my worst nightmare.  I am cringing over here.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 04:18:25 PM »
i hate mice and rats! we had one in the walls that kept us awake for weeks with its chewing!
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline BlueChaos

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice Babystarz! My poor SS Sundance looks like she was the preferred mouse toilet, and is in awful shape. My other SS's aren't as bad, but still pretty yucky.

Eskara1862, I'll have to find some Peppermint oil. I love peppermint, so that won't be a hardship on me
Lochnessmomster, Thanks for posting that tutorial! I'll give it a go once I can get some curlers or straws.

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 01:54:53 PM »

Lochnessmomster, Thanks for posting that tutorial! I'll give it a go once I can get some curlers or straws.

Anytime. :-)

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline BlueChaos

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 09:06:23 AM »
I tried bleaching my SS's. My Sundance turned yellow. Everyone else is fine though. I think I'll try sunfading her.

Also, one of my Best Wishes looks like she has mange. I want to deflock her. How do I do that?

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 11:28:05 AM »
Yuck!! That is awful!

I hope they come out clean!

Offline sunnydaze

• Trade Count: (+99)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »
some people have had success cleaning so softs with baking powder turned into a damp kinda paste and just working it in to the flocking lightly with a soft tooth brush.  Sundance may fade as the glue dries completely but it's the glue that's yellow not the pony itself.  Curls can be done with the straws and hair pins but the key is to use damp paper towel pieces on the ends of the hair to keep them from slipping away from you. You can see the ponies in my sig they were curled that way.

If your ponies get water inside as they inevitably will, sit them in clean glasses with the tail inside and the tail hole as the lowest spot in the glass so the water will drain out that way and also using a paper towel in the cup will help wick away the dampness from the hair as it drains.

And to get your mouse problem under control I do reccomend the cheap victor brand traps and peanut butter as bait. It's cruel yes, but they can cause many other health problems instead of just being a nusance to items stored in tubs. We've had a mouse problem every summer due to have decks close to the ground and lots of bird feeders in the back yard...I set our traps recently and over a two day span of resetting and clean-up, caught 11 mice...thankfully my ponies are indoors and the mice are not.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:44:01 AM by sunnydaze »

To see my customs and art click my deviantart gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal