collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any Concerns for My Restoration Project?  (Read 718 times)

Offline CobaltThunder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Motion Pony
    • View Profile
Any Concerns for My Restoration Project?
« on: August 23, 2021, 10:59:06 AM »
Hello, everyone!

I recently rediscovered all of my G3 MLP dolls that I had stashed away (yay!). Unfortunately, I forgot about the very fun time that me and my sister had pretending they were superheroes and drew all over them with markers (not yay!).

Fortunately not all of them are marked up, but the ones that are, hoo boy >_< :
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Other than the marker, they are all in very good condition despite being played with (I like to chalk it up to all the "spa days" we gave them!) and the only one I feel like I'm really going to have to perform major surgery on right now is poor Flower Garland, who is leaking plasticizer and has been quarantined. There are also one or two others who will need to be beheaded for tail rust removal.

I don't remember for sure but I'm fairly certain that I've tried to clean off the marker with acetone in the past without any luck, but this may have changed in the decade and a half or so since this has happened. I know that some of the marker has faded considerably despite being stored in a cool, dark place. I've gotten the supplies for sunfading, Oxyclean for deep cleaning, and have experience customizing G4 MLPs, but I wanted to check here first to see if anyone has extra info for me!

I've made a list of my victims ponies below with their major ailments, and am mainly concerned about possible sunburn and/or green hair bleeding.

LIST OF PONIES
* = Markered
** = BLUE Markered
† = Green haired

Pink

• Flower Garland
    • Fluttershy
    • Hidden Treasure
    • Lolligiggle
    • Mochanut
    • Pink Sunsparkle
    • Rhapsody Ribbons*
    • Tira-Mi-Su*
    • Toola Roola I
    • Wind Drifter**†

White

• Jade Garden*†
    • Periwinkle*
    • Sunny Daze III

Blue

• Rainbow Dash II**†

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
    • Administrator
    • Trade Count: (+66)
    • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • Why it ourple
      • View Profile
      • Tungler
    Re: Any Concerns for My Restoration Project?
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 05:18:56 PM »
    For what it's worth, I've sunfaded a G3 Port-o-bella but she did end up slightly yellowed. I don't see why green hair bleeding would be a problem and I wish you luck on your restoration adventure. :) Just keep an eye on them if sunburn is a worry.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
    • Colombian Baby Pony
    • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
      • View Profile
      • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
    « Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 12:39:23 AM »
    I don't do restoration as a rule but I did have an experimental Bow Tie who I sunfaded the ink off in the window of my flat when I was in London. I covered up her hair and her eyes but basically just left her to it and she didn't yellow.

I admit I'm wary of sunfading in general in case it quickens the deterioration of the plastic, so I guess it's something you have to keep an eye on.

I'm not sure about leeching hair colour in G3. I'm pretty sure in G1 it's neon yellow and Paradise red that are the main culprits of that.

I remember that the one thing that is very *bad* to use is acne cream or whatever the proper name is, as it not only bleaches the colour out, it doesn't ever stop and it can damage other ponies. I don't think we have oxyclean here but I've heard a lot of people using it...not sure if that has any side effects.
    « Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 12:41:45 AM by Taffeta »
    |夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
    • Trade Count: (+92)
    • Rapunzel Pony
    • mostly papercrafting
      • View Profile
      • Netroids
    « Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 06:17:20 AM »
    I don’t have experience with sunfading  or marker but I applaud your efforts and wish you luck!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
    • Administrator
    • Trade Count: (+66)
    • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • Why it ourple
      • View Profile
      • Tungler
    « Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 09:01:36 AM »
    I remember that the one thing that is very *bad* to use is acne cream or whatever the proper name is, as it not only bleaches the colour out, it doesn't ever stop and it can damage other ponies. I don't think we have oxyclean here but I've heard a lot of people using it...not sure if that has any side effects.
    Yes, thank you for mentioning!! Benzoyl Peroxide is 100% not okay to use on ponies.

Hydrogen Peroxide is fine, but I see a lot of people use it in tandem with sun fading. I've never found that I've had to use it to aid in sun fading, but some others may report quicker results. I've had more luck using it to clean out dirt.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal