collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to remove paint on a mini dinosaur figure  (Read 807 times)

Offline Punaherukka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
How to remove paint on a mini dinosaur figure
« on: June 02, 2019, 04:48:12 AM »
I collect a set of mini dinosaurs that came as surprise toys in easter eggs (though I've seen these sold as regular toys elsewhere too). These figures come in certain variety of colours, with the rubber basis being one colour and having a little bit of different colour paint on it (with one exception, sometimes they came full green with no layer of paint).

One of the colour variants isn't to my liking, the one where there's yellow/light green painted over green. I think it looks like someone poured melted butter on the poor dino. So I would like to remove the yellow paint and just make them full green.

Since there might be toy collectors here who do a bit of customizing, I would like to ask for advise on how to remove the paint without damaging the rubber. The rubber is relatively soft, you can bend the dinosaurs' limbs and tails (and flap the wings of the pterodactyls) but it's still pretty stiff and not squishy.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove paint on a mini dinosaur figure
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 06:55:12 AM »
Usually acetone is for paint removal but it absolutely can ruin the soft plastic . Test a tiny patch on a foot first.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 09:30:54 AM »
Maybe scrub with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, and see if it starts to sand away the paint? Depending on the paint, that might work (though it could take a fair bit of patience). It would be good to avoid using chemicals on a softer surface like that if possible, I agree.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 12:14:32 PM »
Since Magic Eraser is technically very fine sandpaper, I'm afraid it might not work well on the seemingly not smooth surface of the dino figure. While acetone can indeed damage plastic, I'd also recommend using it - with testing it on a smaller area first. And I think if you do it quickly and then wash the figure thoroughly with soapy water immediately after the acetone, it should hopefully be fine.

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Punaherukka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 02:00:34 PM »
Thankyou for the advise!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal