collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Restore or Custom?  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Ellis1342

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Doodle or do not doodle! There is no artist block!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
Restore or Custom?
« on: May 09, 2012, 08:26:19 AM »
So I had a really trashy Surprise and decided to give her new life. She's had a FBR, Full eye repaint, new symbols, new blush. Now she is waiting on hair...so when does it stop qualifying as a restore?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Restore or Custom?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 08:34:12 AM »
When you attempt to change her from the Hasbro character she was intended to be.  If you change her haircolor, symbols, make her a unicorn, etc.

That's my definition, anyway.  Other opinions may vary!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline pink-meluca

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:45:06 AM »
For me, it sounds a fully restore  :P  I have done it for myself too  ^^;  because i'm not gonna sell any of my ponies, so I think, it's just bringing her alive again  :)

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »
When you attempt to change her from the Hasbro character she was intended to be.  If you change her haircolor, symbols, make her a unicorn, etc.

This, pretty much. It's a restore until you do something to deviate from the original. If you painted the eyes and symbols in a different style, or used a different color hair, then I'd probably call it a custom.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 10:42:07 AM »
Extreme restore because of the fbr

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »
I would say restore!!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »
Going to go with custom, because original MLP's do not have full body paint.  Kudos for working to save her, though.  :biggrin:
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Dyzarktarzk

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 02:12:46 PM »
For me its a custom (or heavy full restore) based on the original (even if it's still her XD).  But the full body repaint makes her no longer a restore.

Margos

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 09:29:20 PM »
I dunno, I think if it's done to look like her original self it's a restoration.  I mean, if you started painting her a different color it'd be different, or if you were trying to make a Surprise out of, say, a Lofty.  IDK, that's my opinion, anyway.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »
I say Custom Restore! I've done plenty of restores where I had to change something to restore the pony so I often call them custom restores :)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 12:13:50 AM »

This, pretty much. It's a restore until you do something to deviate from the original. If you painted the eyes and symbols in a different style, or used a different color hair, then I'd probably call it a custom.

This!

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 12:37:49 AM »
That's a tricky question. For me, FBR is the point where restoring turns into customizing. On the other hand, it's not really a custom either if you don't change her original appearance, like lovesbabysquirmy & PandaBerry noted... I like sd_dreamcrystal's term custom restore, that might be the one to best describe what has been done to the pony in this kind of case.

I don't actually consider rehairing (even in a different colour) customizing -- you can always take the hair out and rehair it in the correct colour(s) instead, the deviation from the original look is not permanent. Of course that means the hair needed to be restored in the first place, otherwise it probably would count as customizing... But I do understand why many regard a pony with a hair colour change as a custom, and the customs forum seems to be the best place for showing off these ponies in my opinion as well.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 03:26:54 AM »
Wow thats a toughy!

I have to say although the FBR does start to edge it into custom, for me as long as its the same pony underneath as you have "on top" and that everything is as alike original as possible I would probably just come down on the restore side.

Although I am liking sd_dreamcrystals "custom restore" that may be the most accurate!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 05:18:33 AM »
That's a tricky question. For me, FBR is the point where restoring turns into customizing. On the other hand, it's not really a custom either if you don't change her original appearance, like lovesbabysquirmy & PandaBerry noted... I like sd_dreamcrystal's term custom restore, that might be the one to best describe what has been done to the pony in this kind of case.
Wow thats a toughy!

I have to say although the FBR does start to edge it into custom, for me as long as its the same pony underneath as you have "on top" and that everything is as alike original as possible I would probably just come down on the restore side.

Although I am liking sd_dreamcrystals "custom restore" that may be the most accurate!
I've been using that term for various projects, like my Summer/Windy Wing ponies since for me it's hard to see the line of them being restores or customs mostly because of the wings. A good example of a custom restore from me though would be Baby Sunribbon where I had to repaint her eyes and symbols in another color that was different from the original color as well as change one stripe in her hair colors. I have yet to go to the extreme of FBR to restore a pony :) But the term is a logical one for this case ^^
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Dyzarktarzk

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 09:13:23 AM »
sd_dreamcrystal:  I love your term custom restore.  Really accurate =D

And another thing, changing the hair for me is not really customizing ponies (like the thread on different color rehair than the original).  I've seen a case of a restore (?) where the pony got a partial body repaint, but it was to cover some big mark on her side (if I'm not mistaken, the pony in question is a TE Sweet Stuff), but never a full body repaint (actually, that will be interesting to see =D).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal