collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ferret fans, what do I need to know?  (Read 1937 times)

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Ferret fans, what do I need to know?
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:17:22 AM »
So, My Hulalei really wants pet ferrets. I said no as I would not give her toddlers and from what I understand they are fairly similar. I did tell her she could prove her responsibility and write a persuasive letter to her Dad and I including research on ferret needs, interview the specialty vet who cared for her rats on what illnesses or shots are common to ferrets etc...
So tell me what I should know!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Ferret fans, what do I need to know?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »
I know we have several ferret owners/lovers. I'm sure they'll be able to help.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 12:07:27 PM »
I love ferrets! they make amazing children ^_^
the best advice I can give (and something we always recommended to new shelter ferret parents) is pick up ferrets for dummies....the knowledge in the book is awesome!

ferrets do require a lot of work, attention, and money. most ferrets will need some sort of surgery in their lifetime (the farm breeding has made their little systems wacky) I always had a stash in the sock drawer I'd add cash to at payday for the "ferret emergency"
ferret-proofing the house is harder than toddler-proofing, those buggers can get into anything! LOL
their food should be chicken based. some of the ones on the market have a lot of fish and fish oils... while this isn't bad for them, it will make their poop stink more, cause it does not entirely agree with their system like a chicken based diet. I have brands I can recommend, but I always check the ingredients ^_^
most ferrets can be easily litter box trained, and keeping that and their beds clean will reduce the "smell" everyone complains about. I had 8 and many people said by the smell of my house, they would have never guessed.
I would say bathe them once a month, or less. a common misconception is that you should bathe your ferret frequently. a bath makes their body secrete their natural oils...the more baths, the more oils.

really, I could go on all day. working for a ferret rescue for several years, I'm a walking ferret encyclopedia! LOL
feel free to PM me with any questions.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 01:03:56 PM »
Ferrets are a pain in the butt. They get into everything. They'll even dig into your couch or chairs if they can so if you have a recliner or pull-out-bed couch you have to be careful they aren't under there when you sit or they could get crushed in the springs.

Ferrets can have a tendency to bite if not well raised and socialized. I never had this problem with mine, but he is free range and often with me, not a cage animal for the most part. People always ask me if mine bites when they find out I have a ferret.

Ferrets are extremely hard to potty train. Most ferrets will never be more thna 50% litter trained no matter what you hear. They are not cats, they do not cover their tracks by covering their feces and thus they do prefer a flat floor over a box of litter. They also have a 3 hour digestive system which means 8 poops in a 24 hour time period, at least.

Ferrets are obligate carnivores. They cannot digest fruits and vegetables. The more protein in their food, the better. Their food is more expensive than cat food. I pay $12 a 3# bag and it last 1 ferret a month. They must have food available at all times because their metabolism is so fast that they can get low blood sugar very quickly. On the same note, if they get sick and stop eating, you don't have time to make a vet appointment. They can die much faster than most animals without food. Avoid foods with menadione in the ingredients as it can cause liver problems.

Ferrets sleep 20 hours a day, anywhere they can curl up. They should get some interactive play everyday too. They love to play chase.

Ferrets are not cuddlers normally. Ferrets are very domesticated so they can be kept together, but they are not social animals by nature. They are just fine on their own and don't necessarily want you to hold them or cuddle them. In fact, when ferrets play together, punishment or being dominated consists of the dominant ferret holding down or dragging the less dominant ferret by the scruff or by whatever body part is in their mouth. I really think ferrets consider being held against their will a punishment. Well-socialized ferrets will tolerate it but will likely take a few playful leaps away from you once they can get away.

Ferrets can live over 10 years, but the average of a farmed ferret is like 6.

Vaccinations ferrets get include rabies shots, which are required, even though ferrets are not prone to rabies and when they get rabies they usually get the "dumb" form where they basically just drop on the ground and slowly die rather than getting vicious. Ferrets also need canine distemper vaccinations as distemper is deadly to them and easy to get. They can get heartworm and flea preventatives as well. I don't like to give vet estimates because they vary so greatly, but figure maybe $75 a year for basics.

Common illnesses.
Ferrets can get the flu from people. Ferrets are much smaller than people, thus the flu is much more deadly for them.
Insulinoma is common, which is tumors in the pancreas which in turn causes excessive production of insulin. This causes hypoglycemia. It can sometimes be treated through surgery. Prevention comes in the form of a good diet with little sugar and by 2 years of age starting a fasting blood sugar screening every 6 months to a year to pick up signs.
Adrenal disease is what most farmed ferrets die from. These are tumors in the adrenal glands. They can be treated with medication and surgery and the ferret can live a long time with it. The two most likely causes are high exposure to light and early spaying/neutering. Your ferret's cage should be in an area of the home that can be as dark as possible. (In fact, there are health benefits to all animals sleeping in pitch black).

Outdoor trips should be limited. Light exposure may kick start adrenal disease, but there are other reasons. Ferrets are very low to the ground, which means they are very likely to pick up ringworm, parasites, fleas, and all sorts of not-so-fun stuff. Distemper is also likely to be picked up out there. There is no need for a pet ferret to go outside if you want it to have a long life.

Female ferrets MUST be spayed or bred or they will die. Females who go into heat without being bred will not come out of heat because they don't come out of it without internal stimulation. Being in heat so long will cause high levels of estrogen which will cause her to become anemic and die. You do not need to produce babies. If a neutered male ferret is up to the act of mating he can bring her out of heat because she does not need to conceive to come out of it, just must complete the act. She will come into heat twice a year.

Offline Tribble79

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:18:16 PM »
Yep, great information HavACrumpet452...

Offline kadajkitten

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 03:00:31 AM »
I have 3, seems like everyone covered just about everything, they're really amazing pets =)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:01:42 PM »
I dont know much about ferrets, but it looks like you have alot of information here :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 01:06:39 PM »
They are very costly and high maintainence, from what I have experienced.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline rearing_palomino164

• MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 03:19:47 PM »
I have one and I love him to death.

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline bigmlpfan

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Currently offline due to illness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 04:34:28 PM »
I have two and I love them soooooo much, Great pets   :heart:

bigmlpfan xx

Offline EienMau

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 05:36:49 PM »
http://www.holisticferret60.proboards.com/index.cgi

A really good source for ferret-info.

I have 3 ferrets, and I love the little pain in the butts :p.  Mine eat raw meat, everything from muscle-meats to organ-meats (chicken, beef, pork.. most common).  As others have said, they'll get into everything; recliners should not be in any rooms they're allowed open access to [I used to have one, and MAN did they love trying to climb up into it --; little brats :p]. 

Edit for picture:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal