collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Most overrated g1 line?  (Read 3330 times)

Offline promqueen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
Most overrated g1 line?
« on: June 03, 2020, 03:03:01 PM »
In your opinion what is the most overrated g1 (US releases only) line? In other words which line/series of ponies do people go crazy about that you necessarily don't think is all that great and Why?

For me it's the Twinkle Eyes. I do like some of them (locket, sweet pop, fizzy for example) but I also feel like the line is so repetitive and we didn't need that many. Some of them are just not that appealing to me at all (galaxy, speedy, masquerade, tic tac toe) yet I think this is one of the most common sets collectors like to complete & rave about.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:04:32 PM by promqueen »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Most overrated g1 line?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 03:31:21 PM »
Repetitive? How so? Only one pony got recycled in the second set.

I say the Collector Ponies. They're very sweet, but that pose is awful
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 04:49:56 PM »
So-softs, but only the gimmick and not the ponies themselves, many of them are awesome and sometimes they even come in NSS versions.
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline promqueen

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 05:48:07 PM »

I don't see collector ponies that loved by collectors though I think it's a pretty popular opinion that they are boring ?

Post Merge: June 03, 2020, 05:48:48 PM

So-softs, but only the gimmick and not the ponies themselves, many of them are awesome and sometimes they even come in NSS versions.

I agree !

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 05:55:38 PM »
I guess the Sparkle ponies, I just don't care for how the glitter was done in those, I think it should have been more sparse and different colors than just silver.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 06:00:48 PM »
Definitely the SS gimmick, lol.

I don't see collector ponies that loved by collectors though I think it's a pretty popular opinion that they are boring ?
I'd disagree? I usually see them being respected as the beginnings of the G1 line, and they are pretty loved for that.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 06:08:09 PM »
the Princess ponies
*ducks fakies*
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 06:14:06 PM »
the Princess ponies
*ducks fakies*
Oh, I totally agree!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 06:32:02 PM »
If we're being honest, the sea ponies. Although I don't dislike them, I always thought something about them looked weird (probably their lack of limbs), and none of them really have color schemes that stand out to me. This does NOT apply to their song though. It's the best song to come out of the first generation.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 07:21:52 PM »
I agree on the TEs. I LOVE the TE line, and while I love the gimmick, I'm in it for the ponies' designs rather than their eyes. They're all really colourful and have amazing designs! Some of the best G1 has! But they're one of the sets everyone talks about, it's one of the sets everyone seems to want to complete.

So Softs I'm indifferent on. I like some of them, but the gimmick is kinda "eh" and hasn't aged well. They're not as hyped as the TEs so I can't say they're overrated.

Sea ponies I'm not really a fan of. Seahorse ponies are cute in concept, but I can't say I love sea ponies. I don't own any, but they look hard to display, and they lack any colour. They blend in with one another and they're kinda forgettable. I can't remember any of their names!

Flutter ponies too. Again, I love the concept. I do think they're better than the sea ponies in execution, the designs are much better and more memorable. However, I wish they were more colourful. At least one streak of colour in their manes, maybe?

Rainbow ponies... :lookround: I loved them when I was first getting into collecting but now they're just sort of okay. Parasol went from being a must-have to not being on my wishlist at all. I don't have anything more in-depth to say about them... I guess I just kinda got bored of them.

Princess ponies... not my favourite but I don't think they're overrated either. I do like them, but I'm not head-over-heels like their fans are. XD I think TAFs have a decent popularity too, not overhyped.

Do baby ponies count? Maybe? I like babies but I rarely go out of my way to buy one. They're so expensive... I could spend $10+ on a baby or I could spend $10+ on an adult that's much bigger... :wonder:

Offline promqueen

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 08:01:14 PM »
If we're being honest, the sea ponies. Although I don't dislike them, I always thought something about them looked weird (probably their lack of limbs), and none of them really have color schemes that stand out to me. This does NOT apply to their song though. It's the best song to come out of the first generation.

Oh yes!! I really don't care for sea ponies I always kind of forget about them cause I've never had one or a desire to get any

Post Merge: June 03, 2020, 08:02:31 PM

I guess the Sparkle ponies, I just don't care for how the glitter was done in those, I think it should have been more sparse and different colors than just silver.

The sparkle ponies are interesting I know a lot of people like myself that really don't like them and a lot that really do!! I feel like they are a love it or hate it kind of pony

Post Merge: June 03, 2020, 08:04:03 PM

the Princess ponies
*ducks fakies*

Princess ponies are my runner-up for most overrated! I don't like them much either. I don't really care for any ponies with tinsel except the princess brush n grows which I love their colours and the cute gemstones

Post Merge: June 03, 2020, 08:06:09 PM

I agree on the TEs. I LOVE the TE line, and while I love the gimmick, I'm in it for the ponies' designs rather than their eyes. They're all really colourful and have amazing designs! Some of the best G1 has! But they're one of the sets everyone talks about, it's one of the sets everyone seems to want to complete.

So Softs I'm indifferent on. I like some of them, but the gimmick is kinda "eh" and hasn't aged well. They're not as hyped as the TEs so I can't say they're overrated.

Sea ponies I'm not really a fan of. Seahorse ponies are cute in concept, but I can't say I love sea ponies. I don't own any, but they look hard to display, and they lack any colour. They blend in with one another and they're kinda forgettable. I can't remember any of their names!

Flutter ponies too. Again, I love the concept. I do think they're better than the sea ponies in execution, the designs are much better and more memorable. However, I wish they were more colourful. At least one streak of colour in their manes, maybe?

Rainbow ponies... :lookround: I loved them when I was first getting into collecting but now they're just sort of okay. Parasol went from being a must-have to not being on my wishlist at all. I don't have anything more in-depth to say about them... I guess I just kinda got bored of them.

Princess ponies... not my favourite but I don't think they're overrated either. I do like them, but I'm not head-over-heels like their fans are. XD I think TAFs have a decent popularity too, not overhyped.

Do baby ponies count? Maybe? I like babies but I rarely go out of my way to buy one. They're so expensive... I could spend $10+ on a baby or I could spend $10+ on an adult that's much bigger... :wonder:
Yep! And I agree with you on rainbows I never understood the appeal either when there are so many more pretty rainbow ponies but I guess they were the start of the multi hair colour.
Babies totally count !
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 08:06:09 PM by promqueen »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 10:35:42 PM »
So you guys know it's gonna be me that says this but....

"US ponies only" doesn't make sense given there are literally no US exclusives.

You're asking people outside the US to segment ponies they grew up with based on your geography and DV's outdated segregation system.

This honestly would make my answer to this question the idea of "US ponies" as a concept, period. It's the most 'overrated' G1 'line' in existence, since people keep putting unnatural emphasis on it. In reality, it's a myth, there's no such thing.

(There's also no such thing as NSS ponies, just while I'm being pedantic).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 10:39:25 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 10:46:24 PM »

You're asking people outside the US to segment ponies they grew up with based on your geography and DV's outdated segregation system.

This honestly would make my answer to this question the idea of "US ponies" as a concept, period. It's the most 'overrated' G1 'line' in existence, since people keep putting unnatural emphasis on it. In reality, it's a myth, there's no such thing.

This I totally agree with

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 12:56:57 AM »

Oh yes, I totally agree with this. I've always wondered why they would be called "US ponies" when they were literally sold all over the world, especially after Italy and other countries stopped to manufacture their own MLP's and all ponies were either produced in HK or China.

Offline promqueen

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 12:58:03 AM »

It means non Nirvana

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal