collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Well, there goes that idea.  (Read 1041 times)

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
Well, there goes that idea.
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:02:20 AM »
So I found a job to apply for, it was an apprenticehip at a dog groomers and it was somewhat local so I thought 'Oooh I'll take a shot at that'.
The employer contacted me via email saying they thought I could be a good match but they weren't sure if I was eligable to undertake the apprenticeship due to my previous qualifications so they asked me to contact the apprenticeship provider.
I did and got an email back saying essentially I'm overqualified for the apprenticeship in question.
This kind of sucks. :/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Well, there goes that idea.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 10:52:06 AM »
Man :( 

Ive been there.  Its too bad they do this..overqualified should be a good thing and should also point out that things need to change..if you cant find anything in your field.

Dont give up though, im sure theres something out there for you^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:31:58 PM »
I'm sorry. That really stinks!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 01:50:29 AM »
I've been there too, that simply sucks!  :( :mad:
I see they feel they have to pay you more if you are overqualified (at least here that's the main reason why companies turn you down in this case), but if you are (or if you'd be) OK without them paying more, why not? that's something I could never understand...

I hope you'll have better luck somewhere in the close future!

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline therestornadosinmysoup

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
I've been walking in those shoes too.. I recently applied for a position that I was very well suited to. I got an email saying "we have received your resume and we'll keep you in mind if another position comes up" On the surface it would seem like a positive message, however, it equals, you are not getting an interview, or the job for that matter. Another position is very unlikely to come up there in the future because it is a small office. I would rather hear nothing, than get emails like that.  -_-  They just grind in the fact that I've been looking for ages and getting nowhere.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:41:26 AM »
That sucks.  I'm sorry.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »
Aww, I'm sorry.   *Hugs*  I'm currently looking for a job too and it's no fun to get let down.  I read online the reason why they don't take people who they term "overqualified" is because based on their skills they should be paid more and companies don't want to do that.

Post Merge: November 29, 2012, 11:25:20 AM

I've been walking in those shoes too.. I recently applied for a position that I was very well suited to. I got an email saying "we have received your resume and we'll keep you in mind if another position comes up" On the surface it would seem like a positive message, however, it equals, you are not getting an interview, or the job for that matter. Another position is very unlikely to come up there in the future because it is a small office. I would rather hear nothing, than get emails like that.  -_-  They just grind in the fact that I've been looking for ages and getting nowhere.

I got an email like that too.  I wish they would just give us a chance instead of doing that.

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 05:51:25 AM »
Thanks everyone. :hug:
I know I just need to keep trying especially since I've only been 'properly' job hunting for like three months
I've been there too, that simply sucks!  :( :mad:
I see they feel they have to pay you more if you are overqualified (at least here that's the main reason why companies turn you down in this case), but if you are (or if you'd be) OK without them paying more, why not? that's something I could never understand...

I hope you'll have better luck somewhere in the close future!
Thanks.
Yeah it was an apprenticeship so there's a 'flat rate' for what you are paid, it wasn't a 'dog grooming' specific one although they had their own in house scheme it was a general 'animal care' and well I've essentially done that already through college. So I suppose that makes sense because for the most part they'd be teaching me stuff I already know so there's no 'point' to hiring me but then I thought that'd save them some work.

It is fustrating as the stuff I want to work in doesn't come up that often and I don't apparently fit the profile for a lot of 'normal' places like say a supermarket.

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »
Another reason why companies do not like hiring someone they feel is 'overqualified', is that even if you do accept the lower pay, they are wary that you will leave the minute you find a job that pays what you are worth. They don't want to deal with turnover.

I have not applied to any supermarkets. It does not suit me at all. I find that kind of work mind-numbingly repetitive. I would get halfway through a shift and my brain would shut off completely and I'd run out of there screaming! Not good  :huh: Another thing I know I'm not suited for is call centers. I am quiet person in general and talking all day long would be draining. I can't do the rotating shifts they want you to work either. Night shifts cause me to become physically ill, so they are out of the question. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:11:33 AM by therestornadosinmysoup »

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 04:24:02 PM »
how ridiculous! They should be so happy to have you!
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 07:25:01 AM »
Sadly in todays world with so many looking they can play those games.  I do hope you can find something soon.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 07:29:56 AM »
nooo, just why? >.<
a friend had the same, she got rejected because the knows 2 foreign languages. u.u" she just left that out in her next job and got the job. now she can secretly speak french if noones looking. XD
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »
Was her job with the Germany government? Lol :P That's the only way that might make sense. otherwise that is insane... hide your skills and get the job.. Good Grief Charlie Brown.... :argh:

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 12:49:09 PM »
Yeah it was an apprenticeship so there's a 'flat rate' for what you are paid, it wasn't a 'dog grooming' specific one although they had their own in house scheme it was a general 'animal care' and well I've essentially done that already through college. So I suppose that makes sense because for the most part they'd be teaching me stuff I already know so there's no 'point' to hiring me but then I thought that'd save them some work.
phew, I thought the problem usually is when you don't have experience... I can't see why it is a problem if you already do - I would have thought the same about it as you did (it saves them work and time). I really hate what job-searching has become (standard interview questions where they inspect how well you've learned the standard answers to them instead of telling the truth, whole companies working on finding employees for other companies and so you don't even know where you appy to, and yeah, blah excuses about why you aren't the right one for the job)  -_-

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

lithiumkat

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 12:54:49 PM »
I think it is totally dumb that they do that, about being overqualified. But I kinda see the deal as far as they don't want to pay more for skills they don't need and don't want to take someone on to have them leave soon for a job that utilizes all their skills and will pay them more. But it seems jobs are so hard to find nowadays that it is not fair that as long as you ARE qualified (regardless of being overly so) and willing to agree to the job terms and conditions (hours and pay what not) that they won't give it to you...I'm sorry to hear this. Hopefully something else is waiting just around the bend that is better and maybe not getting this job could perhaps lead you to another one that is better for you. Keep looking, don't give up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal