collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Generic vs name brand weigh in!  (Read 5484 times)

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Generic vs name brand weigh in!
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 10:22:19 AM »
I have a couple of food items that I actually insist on being generic.  Walmart has really fabulous-imo mind you- vegetarian refried beans.  A they don't taste all oily and weird like the name brand stuff.  Whenever I go I stock up on a few cans.  I also really like their generic unsalted crackers :3  they've got a really good flavor that's better than saltines.

Things I insist on for brand names though are definitely toilet paper.  I'm not a fan of offbrand sodas.   I've worked at a high end chocolate store for 2 years so it's ruined other chocolates for me and now I have to go name brands.  Orange juice I have to go namebrand for because the offbrand doesn't offer the low-acid.  Oh and cream cheese.  It doesn't act right unless it's philadelphia cream cheese.
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 10:26:25 AM »
I have a couple of food items that I actually insist on being generic.  Walmart has really fabulous-imo mind you- vegetarian refried beans.  A they don't taste all oily and weird like the name brand stuff.

So agreed!  I prefer Walmart's store-brand vegetarian refried beans to all name brands.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 12:04:56 PM »
It's so hard to get brand variety when it comes to vegetarian and vegan meat substitutes in my opinion.  There just isn't enough out there and it is all very pricey. 

Seems like the better things are for you the more they cost... some kind of conspiracy?
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »
When my sister and I moved out we switched to a lot of generic things, but there are some things we just wouldn't budge on. Granted, she's pickier than I am and insist on brand soda (I'll take the generic stuff but I rarely drink soda in the first place so I guess I can't judge), as well as Del Monte tomato sauce. But the one thing we both agree on? Tillamook Medium Cheese. <3 Pure love. Expensive for cheese but something we both need name brand for.

As for generic...what can I say, I'm cheap. I dig the generic cereal, and actually, the Costco Kirkland chocolate covered raisins are AMAZING, better than Raisinettes, that's for sure.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2012, 12:31:21 PM »
InkyMilk I am OBSESSED with generic cereal.  I don't know why but I feel like it tastes better and its so cheap.  Esp fakie lucky charms and fakie frosted wheat.  *wants some now*

Offline ShannonInPonyland

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2012, 09:23:52 PM »
There is definitely a difference between some generic and name brand products and other times there is none at all. My grandmother thinks I'm crazy for thinking there's actually a taste difference between some items though because she's under the assumption that there is no difference between the two but the price  :P
I prefer Kraft mac & cheese over basically any generic kind, the cheese always tastes gross to me.
I know there is a whole list of generic that I prefer over name brand and name brand that I prefer over generic but for the life of me I can't think of them  :lol:

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2012, 09:50:55 PM »
Mom told me when her and Dad were first married, Dad insisted on eating nothing but name brand Miracle Whip.  He refused to eat any store brand because they were all nasty, and he could taste the difference.  Mom got sick of paying so much more for it, so she saved an empty Miracle Whip jar, and would buy store brand and put it into it.  Dad never knew the difference, until he caught her doing it! :lmao:
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

NumiTuziNeru

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2012, 02:17:58 AM »
I have to say, I am kind of perplexed at how many different sorts of...stuff you guys have.
HOW MANY DIFFERENT KINDS OF CHEESE IS EVEN NECESSARY

/obvious farm childhood is obvious/

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2012, 06:29:11 AM »
I have to say, I am kind of perplexed at how many different sorts of...stuff you guys have.

/obvious farm childhood is obvious/

You remind me of my Mammaw, it's something she would say. 

Mammaw this jelly is great what kind is it? *stares for a bit*
Honey, it's strawberry jelly
Lol no no I mean where did it come from?
Oh! Well Miss Jean (you remember her, story about miss jean) down at church had some extra when she jarred her preserves and she asked me if I would want a jar and of course I say yes.

It's just different in the country.  People have gardens and stores have a different kind of personality.  It's kind of nice.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2012, 11:09:36 AM »
Mom told me when her and Dad were first married, Dad insisted on eating nothing but name brand Miracle Whip.  He refused to eat any store brand because they were all nasty, and he could taste the difference.  Mom got sick of paying so much more for it, so she saved an empty Miracle Whip jar, and would buy store brand and put it into it.  Dad never knew the difference, until he caught her doing it! :lmao:

LOL!!  OMG, are we related?!  My mother does this to my dad ALL THE TIME.  Lotion, soap, food, lightbulbs, whatever!  Poor Dad is none the wiser but he thinks he's being spoiled so I guess it works out?

EDIT:

Exactly 3: colby-jack for snacking/sammiches, Swiss for cooking, and shredded cheddar for less fancy cooking.  :D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:11:58 AM by Skeen »

Offline BrightSide

• Fairy Floss
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • There is a world inside of me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2012, 11:50:29 AM »
Please don't get me started.. :drunk:

I am ridiculous when it comes to brands. Given that my food habits are insane and obsessive anyway, everything has to be of a brand or a label with myself.

I believe in quality over quantity. My mom doesn't often understand why I'd rather spend £20 on a single shirt at Topshop than buy 5 shirts for the same price at Primark, but think about it: everyone wears Primark clothing in this depressing town of mine. It's cheaply made and doesn't last very well, and the way in which it's produced isn't economically friendly either (they often use sweat shops and child labour). I prefer the material of H&M, Topshop, Next, insert more labels here.. as well as the overall design and wearability of the product.

I've been awful with shoes since I was very small. I will only wear certain brands and I won't wear fake Converse or Vans. With boots I usually get Doc Martens but like other stompy goth boot brands like Demonia, Tuk and New Rock.

With food, I have to know exactly what goes into it. And I stick with what I know. No ingredients listed? No calorie values? Forget it. And if it's mass produced and sold for ridiculously cheap prices, I really can't trust the quality grade of whatever is inside it. Even tea and coffee have to be specific brands, like Twinings and Douwe Egberts. Also, I'll only drink coffee when I'm out if it's Costa.

As for cosmetics.. I will only use Body Shop and Lush shower gels, Simple cleansers and Got2Be hairspray. I won't use anything animal tested and try to use as many organic or fairtrade products as I can.

Some call me a snob.. well, I prefer 'refined', thank you very much :lmao:
Fight like a girl..

NumiTuziNeru

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »

Exactly 3: colby-jack for snacking/sammiches, Swiss for cooking, and shredded cheddar for less fancy cooking.  :D

Rubbish.
You need mozarrella, parmesan and another hard Italian to make a decent carbonara sauce, Edam or Gouda for fondue or raclettes, Cheddar is fine for the topping on onion soup, you can make thin crisps out of Monterey Jack, sandwiches depend on whatever, Goat's cheese and feta are for salads or summer nmming, Brie goes lovely with Nutella for some reason, and Roquefort makes an absolutely divine blue cheese sauce that goes very well with a beef fondue. Others are best sampled after meals with a nice wine that suits it.
I do not count processed cheese to be food. It is plastic product in a can.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2012, 03:05:24 PM »

Rubbish.
You need mozarrella, parmesan and another hard Italian to make a decent carbonara sauce, Edam or Gouda for fondue or raclettes, Cheddar is fine for the topping on onion soup, you can make thin crisps out of Monterey Jack, sandwiches depend on whatever, Goat's cheese and feta are for salads or summer nmming, Brie goes lovely with Nutella for some reason, and Roquefort makes an absolutely divine blue cheese sauce that goes very well with a beef fondue. Others are best sampled after meals with a nice wine that suits it.
I do not count processed cheese to be food. It is plastic product in a can.

Ah, but you asked how many are necessary.  For me, those 3 are all that are needed, since I can get them in low-fat or fat-free versions.  :)

I do Weight Watchers and cheese is a disproportionate number of daily points, so the more fancy cheeses are usually out as I won't waste the points on them.  I agree you need mozarrella or parmesan for Italian cooking, but they're also high in points so I don't use them often, and when I do I usually only get a tablespoon or so.  Goat cheese and feta don't count as dairy (not enough protein or somesuch) so I don't like to waste points on them even though I adore them, I never developed a taste for soft cheeses like Brie or Camembert (though Mr. Skeen inhales them) or any kind with mold on or in them, and despite living in wine country for several years, I never got past the "this tastes like vinegar" stage of wine sampling.  I tried, I really did. 

But I agree that squeezy cheese isn't cheese.  Neither are Cheetos, unfortunately, though that is another thing I will not go generic on. 

I like generic dryer sheets, now that I think of it.  They're not as heavily perfumed. 

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »
One thing that just came to mind (while making a sandwhich) is pimiento cheese.  It has to Price's.  I will not buy any other brand.  Ever.
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal