collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customs regulations in the different countries  (Read 3291 times)

Offline Tiara546

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
Customs regulations in the different countries
« on: April 23, 2016, 05:43:02 AM »
Hello all,

I am selling (and buying) on Ebay quite regularly and would like to better understand customs regulations in the different countries.
What I already know/have experienced is:

- people from the US don't have to pay any unless their purchase is VERY expensive. But even several hundreds of dollars wouldn't trigger any fees.

- people from the UK buying from the US have high fees including a handling fee, the treshold lying by around 17 pounds?

- people from Germany buying from outside Europe have a treshold of 22 Euros for item worth including shipping/handling or one of 45 Euros  for gift items. In reality, they do not check if shipping is already included in the item value or not, so it just depends on the value given on the form. Once customs feel responsible for a package due to the value declared, they demand a proof of worth such as a Paypal bill etc and charge 20% of the total value incl. shipping and sellers' handling fees.
A german buyer could send those documents to the customs in order to have the procedure done on the postal way and to recieve the item at the own front door as paid for, but since last year the German carrier charges 30 Euros for just -opening- the package to see what's inside during that process, if they don't find a bill accessible on the outside of a package. So non-european sellers can accidentially inflict either additional errands or additional fees on a German buyer if putting a value on the form which makes customs feel competent and, at the same time, putting no bill/proof of value in a clear envelope on the outside of the package.

- people from Canada may officially mark used items as gifts

Do you have any additional information how regulations are in -your- country?
And how is it in Switzerland, New Zealand, Australia, Japan, ... ?
Or France, if recieving a package from outside Europe?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 05:52:14 AM by Tiara546 »

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
Re: Customs regulations in the different countries
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 07:41:35 AM »
In the UK, the threshold is actually £15, not including postage unless you use EMS/Priority shipping (it used to be £18 :< ). For gifts it's £34. This is for any goods received outside of the EU. Within the EU, you don't pay any taxes. Inter-EU shipments don't always require a customs form unless they're over a certain size/weight.

If you're shipping to the Channel Islands, there must be a contents list and invoice on the outer packaging or the parcel will be rejected.

I wouldn't worry too much about knowing everything, but it might be worth pinging someone a message on Ebay to ask if they have any particular requirements for their shipments as they should be aware of them :)
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Tiara546

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 08:24:45 AM »
Thank you!
I know I don't have to be that firm but it's out of interest mostly. :)

Offline Sea_Breeze

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 12:58:02 AM »
New Zealand used to be anything under $400 NZD was OK. But if the item received INCLUDING the shipping (which I still can't get my head around) is over $400 then the receiver pays a duty fee. However, I believe new rules are coming into force soon forcing buyers to cough up more at the border as online sales are crippling our physical stores.
Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears - anonymous

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 02:36:17 AM »
Aussie doesnt get taxes as far as i know

Offline StarFaerie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 06:01:31 AM »
Australia is AUD$1,000 including shipping before we get GST and customs duty assessed.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a woman in possession of disposable income, must be in want of a pony.

Offline Tiara546

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 05:20:20 PM »
That's very interesting, thank you all!   :happy:
Still wondering what it's like in Switzerland and France, so if anyone can still say something, I'm quite curious...

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 09:41:37 AM »
Can't help with Switzerland or France, but it strikes me that there's some seriously stingy individuals deciding on British and German custom laws compared with other places.

The shipping cost can be taken into consideration as part of the value of the item here, too. If it comes via Fedex, for example. I dunno if it's changed but Fedex used to pay the customs fees then invoice you for the cost after delivery. I remember taking them to task over this because they'd given no warning that was going to happen, and I just randomly got a bill for £20-something which included a valuation of their own transport service in the cost.

I paid it but I wrote them to complain that by not providing proper information about their delivery policy, they'd not given me the option to reject the item at the border and not pay the cost - which is the right of any individual buying from abroad. We do have the option not to import it. Our postal service, if you don't pay the fees, returns it to sender. In any case, Fedex saw my point and refunded my fee on a one off basis - and I have avoided anyone who uses them internationally ever since.

Fortunately Amazon Japan no longer do this. Although they charge for fees up front on ordering, unlike Ebay, Amazon Japan refund you the exact difference if their quote is out. And I'm happier with that, though less happy about our greedy customs people and the £15 threshold. I'm sure it's designed to destroy people buying DVDs from the US before they are out here - but if that's the case, there really ought to be a separate set of prices for items that have only a collector value of £15+ within a limited collecting community, and which are not new items, have no current tax value, and are therefore not threatening the economy any by being imported without duty. On the contrary, they're keeping delivery people in jobs...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 11:46:37 AM »
Italy has some seriously weird customs rules.

You should definitely not mark items as "toys" in your customs form- because "toys not made entirely of wood" are prohibited items! SERIOUSLY!  But you can put say "used play doll" or "toys made of wood"  Also- is is unclear how often this prohibition is enforced- some say never, but experienced buyers/sellers in Italy take no chances.  As your buyer how to mark the package so it doesn't get stuck in customs.

ALSO If you sell to someone in Italy, try to sell to someone who has lots of experience dealing with their own post- because QUITE OFTEN Italian customs holds packages for inexplicable reasons and without providing a note- for indefinite amounts of times.  If your buyer knows this, they know where to go and who to check with to see if they have a package languishing there.  If you have some young person who doesn't understand the system yet- they may blame you for the package going missing, or just not know what to do.

Just some things I've picked up...

Oh, and I know now not to send anything with batteries to Canada.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 11:54:40 AM »
That reminds me - we're not allowed to send anything with batteries in through the post. They ask us now at the post office what is in every package (even if it is within the UK), and if you say "toys" or "dolls" they always ask about batteries. Batteries are forbidden. God knows why a battery of pony/doll size is an issue, but there it is.

MIB dolls or ponies with batteries in must be a problem. Haven't had to encounter that yet though...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 03:55:24 PM »
Batteries are prohibited in any air mail because of pressure. If they explode they can become little projectiles. Ever accidentally put a battery in a fire? Holy cow...

In Australia we always get asked about batteries, and have to sign an explosives declaration for all mail, including international, which includes any batteries or aerosols. We have a pretty big import/export trade, so they have the high importation duty-free limit to avoid hindering small business, and for tourism too, which is crazy important here - if you can't bring all your souvenirs through Australia, you don't stop here, and we'd be limited to Australia-only tripping tourists, going in and out, rather than multi-country stop-over tourists.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 05:02:20 AM »
That reminds me - we're not allowed to send anything with batteries in through the post. They ask us now at the post office what is in every package (even if it is within the UK), and if you say "toys" or "dolls" they always ask about batteries. Batteries are forbidden. God knows why a battery of pony/doll size is an issue, but there it is.

MIB dolls or ponies with batteries in must be a problem. Haven't had to encounter that yet though...

Most Uk post office workers don't know this but actually not all batteries are prohibited if you check the rules - there are restrictions on certain batteries and they have to be packed well but they aren't all prohibited  ;)  loose batteries are a problem yes, but not dolls or things with batteries inside them that are properly packed or that are MIB

This is from the UK Royal Mail website - this section is on sending batteries internationally  https://business.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/863  . There is also a section on sending them within the UK
Batteries - new alkaline, nickel metal hydride (NiMH) or nickel cadmium (NiCd)  Including D, C, 9V, AA, AAA and AAAA alkaline batteries. Must be new and sent unopened in their original retail packaging. Surround with cushioning material e.g. bubble wrap. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.
 Batteries - lithium ion/polymer batteries contained in equipment  Each package must contain no more than four cells or two batteries installed in equipment. The maximum net quantity of cells or batteries is 5kg per package. Watt-hour rating must not exceed 20Wh per cell or 100Wh per battery. Each cell and battery must be of a type proven to meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, section 38.3. Batteries are subject to these tests irrespective of whether the cells of which they are composed have been so tested.

Cells and batteries must be manufactured under a quality management programme as specified in the International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air. Cells or batteries that are defective for safety reasons, or that have been damaged, are forbidden. Any person preparing or offering cells or batteries with or in equipment for transport must receive adequate instruction on the requirements commensurate with their responsibilities. Cells and batteries must be protected against short circuit.

The equipment containing cells or batteries must be packed in strong rigid packaging and must be secured against movement within the outer packaging and packed to prevent accidental activation. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Lithium ion/polymer batteries sent in isolation or sent with but not contained in equipment are prohibited.

Please see Prohibited goods - international
 Batteries - lithium metal/alloy batteries contained in equipment  Each package must contain no more than four cells or two batteries installed in equipment. The maximum net quantity of cells or batteries is 5kg per package. The lithium content must not be more than 1g per cell or 2g per battery. Each cell and battery must be of a type proven to meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, section 38.3. Batteries are subject to these tests irrespective of whether the cells of which they are composed have been so tested.

Cells and batteries must be manufactured under a quality management programme as specified in the International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air. Cells or batteries that are defective for safety reasons, or that have been damaged, are forbidden. Any person preparing or offering cells or batteries with or in equipment for transport must receive adequate instruction on the requirements commensurate with their responsibilities. Cells and batteries must be protected against short circuit.

The equipment containing cells or batteries must be packed in strong rigid packaging and must be secured against movement within the outer packaging and packed to prevent accidental activation. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Lithium metal/alloy batteries sent in isolation or sent with but not contained in equipment are prohibited.

Please see Prohibited goods - international

I have never had any issues sending dolls or ponies with batteries  inside internationally from the UK but you need to know the rules or you need to get the PO worker who is refusing to send your item to *check* the restrictions - then you'll be able to send your item .
For international peeps I have bought items from all over the world and never had any issues with receiving ponies or dolls with batteries inside either :awake:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 06:09:46 AM »
Hrm, I never thought about them exploding, but likewise - I've received Jem dolls through the post, and sent them back in the days before people asked about it. Ditto with my Sweet Talking ponies that speak Spanish and German. No issues then, which is why I got confused that they suddenly asked about it now. Nice to know those are the regs. Thanks, Ringlets :) I'm sure that'll come in useful at some point, if I have to send something else battery-related.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »
Things I never knew!
I started looking into the regulations to Sweden because of this and according to tullverket.se
* Goods under 1 500sek (~150euro) may not receive customs fees but may be taxed.
* A package with a value less than 300sek is free from both taxes and customs fees.
* Gifts under 500sek will not have customs fees, but will always be taxed.
* Gifts between 500-1500sek in value have a fee of 2,5% of it's value.
* Gifts over 7000sek in value will have fees between 0-20%. The value is calculated depending on the total price of all the goods that are over 300sek.
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal