collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help - question about deflocked ponies  (Read 480 times)

oddish

• Trade Count: (0)
Help - question about deflocked ponies
« on: April 04, 2012, 08:23:21 AM »

I've been working on deflocking my childhood North Star and Hippity Hop. This is my first attempt at deflocking. Over the past few weeks they got two boiling Oxyclean baths, rubbed down with rubbing alcohol (91% isopropyl), and I just soaked them again in plain hot water.

My problem is that they still look and feel kind of "gummy". Not sticky or anything, they just have an uneven shininess and you can see where my fingernail scraped them getting the flocking and glue off and they seem to have a weird texture. Only word I can think of to describe it is "gummy".

Is this normal for deflocked ponies? Or did I do something wrong? At first I thought it was glue residue or that I didn't rinse them well enough, but it didn't go away even after cleaning and rinsing them again just now. Could I have damaged the plastic with the alcohol? I did use a lot of it all over their bodies.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Help - question about deflocked ponies
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 08:30:17 AM »
It does sound as though you have residual glue left on them...sometimes it takes a lot of time, a lot of patience, a lot of elbow grease and some seriously hard core chemicals to get that glue off...

In the past I think I have everything off...I leave them to sit, I come back and some parts of them feel kind of "tacky/sticky" to the touch...and its just that remaining persistent layer of glue...you may need to use something stronger than rubbing alcohol.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 09:49:20 AM »
It sounds like you might need to lightly run a cotton ball soaked in acetone over the non-painted parts of their bodies.  Or maybe Goo Gone...  Best of luck - I've not been brave enough to try a deflock!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Lavender_Lace

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 11:08:46 AM »
Just use some acetone on a cotton ball over those areas.  But don't soak the cotton ball or it will drip and run onto the symbols and eyes.  I kind of let it dry a little bit and then use it.  You don't want any drippy stuff when you squeeze it because you're going to have to do some rubbing to get rid of that residue completely.   Use a Q-tip around the symbols and then for over the symbols, you can usually scratch off (gently!) the gummy stuff with a fingernail. 

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:13:29 AM »
i suggest pure acetone as well for getting rid of the last bits of glue :) just be careful round the eyes, blush and symbols!

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

oddish

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 11:35:06 AM »
Thank you guys! Glad to hear I just haven't done enough and didn't ruin them... I was hoping to avoid anything harsher than rubbing alcohol, but looks like I'm going to need it after all. I will pick up some acetone tomorrow and hopefully finish them up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal