collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Marking Restored G1s  (Read 1676 times)

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
Re: Marking Restored G1s
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 12:03:24 PM »
I was going to ask this soon, I recently started restoring ponies and was at a loss how I was going to mark them.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 02:21:11 PM »
Personally if I *had* to mark ponies, I'd write a note on acid-free paper/ink and pop it inside their body cavity.  I never glue heads back on my ponies, to be honest I like the fact they have more movement with loose heads.  ^.^  Plus it makes it easier to inspect for possible problems, like tail rust or mold.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline d13tp3ps1

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • My store!
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »
I'll probably end up marking a hoof, but part of me really likes the note inside the body idea :)
Brain Basket on Etsy-I sell customs, vintage toys, and handmade accessories! Check me out!

:biggrin: I have two commission slots open!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 03:09:27 PM »
Message-in-a-Pony, anyone?  Your very own vinyl time capsule.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 03:45:40 PM »
Personally if I *had* to mark ponies, I'd write a note on acid-free paper/ink and pop it inside their body cavity.  I never glue heads back on my ponies, to be honest I like the fact they have more movement with loose heads.  ^.^  Plus it makes it easier to inspect for possible problems, like tail rust or mold.

This is a really cool idea! I may have to try this, especially with a very baity Glory that I'm trying to fix up.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 08:44:04 PM »

I like this idea as well, and I'd encourage it - especially if nothing else - however, in that case it would be easier to simply remove the note from inside and pass the pony off as original. :/ Though I can understand that there are very few options when it comes to marking a pony. I actually like HavACrumpet's idea of marking inside the seal around the neck - that way any ink used won't bleed through and cause more damage (and even if it DOES, on most ponies, the part that started to show could be sunfaded away).
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 09:41:25 AM »
You'd be surprised how far ink can travel in plastic, over the years.  I've had stains travel all the way through a neck plug to the surface of a pony before (when I tried dyeing one blue and didn't clean out all the original product; it took over ten years, but it did happen.)

If someone acquires a pony and is determined to be dishonest, it doesn't really matter what kind of marking you use, they'll simply not mention it or hide it.  :huh:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »

you know i have been tempted to do that too!!!

of course with rehairs, most people use either the knotting or tool methods which you can easily tell from a factory weave the moment you pop a ponies head off :)

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal