collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I hereby challenge the needfulness of "peroxide fading"  (Read 9181 times)

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I hereby challenge the needfulness of "peroxide fading"
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 07:37:25 PM »
Well hopefully my question is too far of topic. Can a discolored Masquerade head (head darker than body) be lightened by any of these or different methods?

Yep! I would go with sunfading, as peroxide damages hair, twinkle eyes, and sometimes symbols. Yellow ponies also respond very well to sunfading. I've got a Munchy working on her marks myself :P  Sunfading is always possible for lightening.

I would suggest you tape her whole body up with painter's tape, up to the neck seam. Get the edges of the tape in between the two parts, so that it doesn't go over the neck seam onto the part you want to fade. Don't be afraid to double or triple layer the tape, the goal is to not let any light reach the pony's body through cracks. Then carefully rip little pieces of painter's tape off the roll to cover her eyes and individual eyelashes. Then, cover her hair with tinfoil (tail too) up to the roots. I also add painter's tape to the roots to make sure no light gets in, and the foil stays flush against the pony. Just be careful to only put the very edge of the tape on the pony's neck - you don't want to end up with an unfaded line! The tail, just foil up then tape it to the body.

After you're finished with the prep, put her in a sunny window. Check her every day, even if a particular day isn't sunny - she will still fade a bit on a cloudy day. Flip her so her other side faces the sun every 5-7 days, making sure that her foiled hair isn't casting a shadow (again, you don't want an unfaded line).

Depending on where you live and weather conditions, she could take as little as two weeks or as long as a couple of months to fade back to the same color as her body. Since you're in Kentucky and summer is starting, I doubt it'll take longer than a month. Just be sure to check her every day, so you don't have the opposite problem (darker body, lighter head). All you need to do to check is peel back the tape below her neck seam a little and compare, then put the tape back (painter's tape re-tapes pretty well!) Also make sure the tape isn't lifting off from the eyes - I find I usually need to pat it down because the curve of the eyes makes the tape slightly uncooperative.

That's great and thank you for the helpful info  :biggrin: , I appreciate it and I will try that out. I hope all goes well with sun fading your Munchy :D
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 04:28:56 AM »
Well hopefully my question is too far of topic. Can a discolored Masquerade head (head darker than body) be lightened by any of these or different methods?

Yep! I would go with sunfading, as peroxide damages hair, twinkle eyes, and sometimes symbols. Yellow ponies also respond very well to sunfading. I've got a Munchy working on her marks myself :P  Sunfading is always possible for lightening.

I would suggest you tape her whole body up with painter's tape, up to the neck seam. Get the edges of the tape in between the two parts, so that it doesn't go over the neck seam onto the part you want to fade. Don't be afraid to double or triple layer the tape, the goal is to not let any light reach the pony's body through cracks. Then carefully rip little pieces of painter's tape off the roll to cover her eyes and individual eyelashes. Then, cover her hair with tinfoil (tail too) up to the roots. I also add painter's tape to the roots to make sure no light gets in, and the foil stays flush against the pony. Just be careful to only put the very edge of the tape on the pony's neck - you don't want to end up with an unfaded line! The tail, just foil up then tape it to the body.

After you're finished with the prep, put her in a sunny window. Check her every day, even if a particular day isn't sunny - she will still fade a bit on a cloudy day. Flip her so her other side faces the sun every 5-7 days, making sure that her foiled hair isn't casting a shadow (again, you don't want an unfaded line).

Depending on where you live and weather conditions, she could take as little as two weeks or as long as a couple of months to fade back to the same color as her body. Since you're in Kentucky and summer is starting, I doubt it'll take longer than a month. Just be sure to check her every day, so you don't have the opposite problem (darker body, lighter head). All you need to do to check is peel back the tape below her neck seam a little and compare, then put the tape back (painter's tape re-tapes pretty well!) Also make sure the tape isn't lifting off from the eyes - I find I usually need to pat it down because the curve of the eyes makes the tape slightly uncooperative.

Personally, I'd just remove the head and keep the body someplace dark rather than cover the whole body in tape. Then just carry the body to the windowsill when it's time to check progress.

Just another option.

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »

Personally, I'd just remove the head and keep the body someplace dark rather than cover the whole body in tape. Then just carry the body to the windowsill when it's time to check progress.

Just another option.

Believe it or not I was thinking of that myself :O)
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

Offline I Hate My Pony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 05:59:40 PM »
(Or has anyone already tried this and can debunk my hypothesis with firm evidence right now? Because I'd totally accept that.)

I can explain this. Hydrogen peroxide itself does not fade the pony. Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into oxygen and it is this oxygen that fades the pony. Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into oxygen over time. Heat and sun will break it down faster. So when you shine sunlight on peroxide, oxygen is created quicker, and as a result, ponies fade faster (more oxygen more fade). Sunlight does not make hydrogen peroxide fade better, only faster (not counting the fact that sunlight itself fades ponies through a completely different process).

Something that might blow a few peoples minds is that any stain faded by hydrogen peroxide can be reversed with various chemicals. You are not removing the stain with hydrogen peroxide you are only making the color molecule transparent - the stain is actually still there. It is also possible that exposure to the air will do the same and the stain will reappear someday.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 06:01:23 PM by I Hate My Pony »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 06:01:29 PM »
;3 mind blown by the last statement, that the stain remains.

Thanks for the explanation ~ 

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Mohawk

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 07:56:29 PM »
I can explain this. Hydrogen peroxide itself does not fade the pony. Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into oxygen and it is this oxygen that fades the pony. Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into oxygen over time. Heat and sun will break it down faster. So when you shine sunlight on peroxide, oxygen is created quicker, and as a result, ponies fade faster (more oxygen more fade). Sunlight does not make hydrogen peroxide fade better, only faster (not counting the fact that sunlight itself fades ponies through a completely different process).

Something that might blow a few peoples minds is that any stain faded by hydrogen peroxide can be reversed with various chemicals. You are not removing the stain with hydrogen peroxide you are only making the color molecule transparent - the stain is actually still there. It is also possible that exposure to the air will do the same and the stain will reappear someday.

Very, very interesting. Thanks!

;3 mind blown by the last statement, that the stain remains.

"The Stain Remains" sounds like a terrible breakup song. ;)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 01:48:30 AM »
(Or has anyone already tried this and can debunk my hypothesis with firm evidence right now? Because I'd totally accept that.)

Now thats interesting...and the paragraph at the end makes sense when you look at previous conversations we have all had on this and the speculation as to why marks come back. Thank you for the information!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 04:04:58 AM »
Well said!

I'll also add that it's the heat part of the sun that activates the peroxide. So a hot room or heater can help it go along faster. Once it breaks down to water, it is basically ineffective.

Mohawk

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 05:36:45 AM »
Ok, so if we can assume this new information is true:

1. Peroxide fading is more akin to a coverup than an actual fix that
2. often turns out to be temporary anyway, and
3. can sometimes damage hair or harden bodies

Three strikes! And now I'm glad I've never done it, because for me that's reason enough never to do it at all. I've personally lost interest in experimenting with it now, though if anyone goes ahead with some version of the experiment(s) proposed earlier in the thread, that could still be really interesting and valuable info for the community. (Especially for people who don't count #1 as a real strike.) Giving people more to go on when deciding how to take care of their ponies is always a worthy cause!

I plan on going ahead with a comparison of dry sunfading vs. water bath sunfading, if these ponies coming to me in the mail seem like decent victims subjects.

Anyone else changing their plans?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal