collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Do you take apart your ponies to wash them?

Always!
3 (8.8%)
Never!
8 (23.5%)
Only if there is tail rust!
23 (67.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Do you take apart your ponies to wash them?  (Read 2016 times)

Offline PrincessKittyDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • All Ponies are Best Pony!
    • View Profile
Do you take apart your ponies to wash them?
« on: March 16, 2020, 09:15:27 AM »
I am considering taking the heads off my ponies to clean the inside and replace the washer with a ziptie, but I'm conflicted!
I don't see tail rust on any of them but I worry with washing them without taking it out it'll cause rust. I'm also worried about mold :yikes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Instagram is princesskittyowo! :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Do you take apart your ponies to wash them?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 09:20:51 AM »
Nope. Not unless there is a serious reason to need to do it, like a major rust or mould issue apparent.

Breaking the neck seal is permanent damage, so it's a decision I wouldn't take lightly. I also don't agree with replacing washers with zipties etc. None of my ponies have ever developed tail rust from living with me, including my childhood ponies, who used to come in puddles and get baths. I had one baby sea pony get internal mould which we treated WITHOUT needing to behead her, but never rust. Replacing the tail washer/etc on a pony that has no damage/rust/flaws makes no sense, since I imagine nobody keeps their ponies in damp conditions (and if they do, maybe that's what needs rethinking).

My mantra is do no harm - so it would have to be a particularly horrible case for me to go to those lengths.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:23:23 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 09:25:27 AM »
Only if there is rust, mildew or mold. Rust is kinda icky but not too bad to deal with. I removed the rusty tail washer and weights.

But I did  hafta to clean my daughter's Baby Dangles for what I believe was some kinda mildew or mold and it was so awful!  I gagged multiple times because of the smell. I hope I never come across a moldy pony again.

If there is no signs of either rust, mold or something other then that (like the dog poop pony or the pot stash pony.) No brown spots, no horrendous smell, then seriously don't bother.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:32:01 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 09:26:24 AM »
I only do it if there’s reason to do so. Mould or rust is a pretty good reason if you ask me. But if it’s not needed, maybe don’t do it.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 09:27:55 AM »
I also only take them apart to clean them on the inside if there is an obvious reason to do it. I have never had any of my ponies develop tailrust after I cleaned them. I always turn them upside down so excess water can run out of them and I make sure they dry properly before putting them in more confined surroundings.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 10:11:51 AM »
Nope! I could never bring myself to do anything like this :< Another reason why I go for mintier ponies, I'd rather leave this sort of restoration work to people that want to do it ;)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 10:52:29 AM »
As a kid, I took them apart to make sure they dried on the inside. Before then, water would slowly seep out of the tail. I didn’t see it as damage.  In fact, I thought it made them better as their heads could then turn.  :P

I haven’t done that to any of my newer purchases.  I would only consider it if there was an obvious problem like mold.

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 11:03:49 AM »
I also only take them apart to clean them on the inside if there is an obvious reason to do it. I have never had any of my ponies develop tailrust after I cleaned them. I always turn them upside down so excess water can run out of them and I make sure they dry properly before putting them in more confined surroundings.

Yeah, I do this too. All ponies that have recently been washed are left out to be checked and to dry properly before going back in the cupboard, sometimes three or four days if necessary, just to make sure.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 11:39:37 AM »
I always do this. You never know what dirt might be eating your precious pony from the inside. I've removed so much rust and grime that couldn't be seen from the outisde and i'm happy that I did.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline lordbunnir

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »
Only if there is a serious enough problem to warrant taking them apart (tail rust, mold, etc).
Also on the rare occasion I get a pony with her neck glue already gone, I might pop off her head just to take a peek because I'm curious. The first G1 I ever got had a loose head actually!
wil/taurus/infp
 :good:

Offline milkywaymochi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 11:52:08 AM »
I only really do it when it's either obvious that there's some funky stuff going on inside that needs to be addressed, or when I'm planning to remane and/or retail them.

Honestly, sometimes getting their heads off then back on can be such a pain, it's not a part of the process I enjoy doing. Maybe the toy story films just influenced me at a young age, but I don't think the ponies really enjoy it either  :lol:

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 01:15:33 PM »
Only if it's necessary (rust, mold, etc, problems that need to be solved internally) or if the seal is already half broken and it's coming off anyway. Rust/mold is obvious, but if the seal is already half broken, I feel like it's a lot easier for water to get in there. The glue is already deteriorating anyway.

You can definitely wash ponies with their heads on and seals intact and not cause any mold/rust to happen, too.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 02:13:10 PM »
I'm much more lenient with earlier ponies than later ponies because they're such a chore to get the heads off of. If I give a pony an Oxi soak to get ingrained dirt out I'll take the head off just in case. I don't like replacing the piece holding the tail but I will get rid of the ring. I've never had one rust on me after I've washed it but they don't soak.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 02:52:33 PM »
As a kid, I took them apart to make sure they dried on the inside. Before then, water would slowly seep out of the tail. I didn’t see it as damage.  In fact, I thought it made them better as their heads could then turn.  :P
Yeah!  As a kid a few of my ponies heads got loose just from play, and I loved being able to pose their heads in different positions!

Currently, I try to avoid doing head removal, unless it is already mostly loose OR if there is bad tail rust.  I've gotten a couple thrift store ponies with loose heads, and I went ahead an opened them up and cleaned everything.  I couldn't blame people for going either way, though.

Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline TornadoLovesMelody

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Album (not updated)
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 03:29:52 PM »
Like others have said.
If I see or smell a reason - off it goes; but only if I can do so without plastic ripping.
IF the tail holder is super rusty (beyond saving) I will remove it. If not - I will try to get the rust off, clean up the pony, dry and re-assemble.
Luckily I rarely have to do this.
And as for washing ponies - I have never seen a pony develop tail rust after I cleaned them but I too make sure that they are dry before they go anywhere.

I've received ponies where people have been rough about removing the heads and that always bothers me a bit.
I don't see head removal as damage to the if the glue has already deteriorated to the point where there are gaps and you can remove the head by just cracking the rest of the glue, probably because some ponies also came unglued when I was a kid.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal