collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So, is pony cancer contagious?  (Read 2878 times)

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
Re: So, is pony cancer contagious?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 08:52:16 PM »
Age spots? A few of mine have them. Comes as plastic slowly breaks apart. Plastic takes many many years to break down, and I’m not clear on the specifics. I know more about cancer in living organisms as opposed to the plastic kind. But it doesn’t seem to be contagious, or spread by ponies themselves. Kinda like human cancers. If you ask me, time seems to be the biggest factor, next to individual pony lifetimes. What has it been exposed to? Are there flaws in the plastic we can’t see that are causing it?

Sorry for the paragraph. To answer your question: age spots are not contagious among ponies. 
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 09:02:31 PM »
Personally, I use the words age spots. I haven't really heard another term? Or at least I don't remember (lol) And don't worry Ponygeek, now you know ;)

And like Taffeta said, it's unnecessary. I don't even know where it came from or why it spread to be a widely used term. Honestly, how does a deteriorating pony thing correlate to a sensitive medical thing?
My clumsy guess as to why this word started to be used is because of the nature of age spots. They seemingly (although not really) develop out of nowhere, it’s not “curable” (considering there’s no way to reverse the effects), and it spreads.
I think the term is apt, although personally I steer clear of collector jargon when I’m selling. The average person doesn’t know what “bait” or “cancer” or “smooze” is And I feel like it alienates potential new collectors and confuses those who already collect since different names and definitions exist for every problem a pony may have.
One pony can't cause another pony to break down.

This isn't entirely true. Plasticizer leak can cause a chain reaction because of the vapors it releases. That's why if you put something that's leaking in a plastic bag or storage container it speeds up the process.

edit: Also, and this is a personal issue of mine, but plastic doesn't "break down". Ever. That's what makes plastic plastic :P
Oh wow. I never knew that plasticizer leakage could actually affect other ponies nearby! Looks like it’s time to quarantine my Trickles!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 09:05:04 PM by KottonKandy »

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 04:48:31 AM »
Age spots in themselves are not contagious, so the short answer is: No.

The long answer is a bit more complicated.

Age spots are often seen alongside plasticizer leakage, and that is the agent that causes the vinyl to be flexible to break apart from the 'solid' particles and 'leak'. It's like the pony is sweating, and those vapours and liquids can damage other plastics in contact with them - so plasticizer leak IS contagious, and ponies should be quarantined for the duration - you'll know when it's done, your pony will remain dry after cleaning, and will be fit for use as a weapon!

Also, the conditions that cause these reactions in the plastic are obviously going to cause the same/similar reactions in other similarly-sized pieces of plastic of around the same age, with a similar chemical make up. So if you notice a pony that is showing symptoms of degradation, check your environment. Is it cool, dry, and not in direct sunlight? Yes? Was the pony always in such conditions? Maybe it's just a pony that's had a hard life before you showed up. In that case there isn't much you can do except quarantine if it's leaking, and look forward to said pony being a useful piece of nightstand decor - for use as a throwing star in the case of an intruder (those horns/ears/hooves could definitely take out an eye if aimed right!)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 06:03:35 AM »
I don't think age spots are contagious, but I do think that separate ponies kept in similar conditions can get them.

That said, some ponies seem especially prone to them.  I had a Sunbeam who kept getting more and more age spots, even though the other ponies displayed with her were fine.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 05:03:59 PM »
LOL @ Stormness. Although some of them were already good weapons. Looking forward to seeing what kind of implement my Speedy will be when she's done, because that pose are already pretty deadly...

@Kotton Kandy, I agree, that;s my opinion too. There are more and more newer people coming into collecting and we shouldn't be confusing them with a list of 'terms' about pony flaws. It's confusing enough given all the acronyms and terms we already use for pony sets etc without adding a whole restoration glossary as well.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 06:57:55 AM »
I have found these spots are not contagious, as they don't seem to jump from pony to pony. HOWEVER, ifa pony has one or more of these brown spots, they are prone to forming more unless they are properly cleaned, boiled, and/or stored in condions where their plastic won't form more of these spots. They need to be away from damp/dank conditions if possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal