collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: vinegar for fixing stinky ponies?  (Read 830 times)

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
vinegar for fixing stinky ponies?
« on: July 01, 2017, 05:32:06 PM »
I have a box of very cigarette smoke stained ponies I got last winter who have been marinating in a tub of odor absorbing cat litter and baking soda since. It's helped a bit, but they still smell pretty funky, so today, after seeing it mentioned on an MLPTP post, I looked up how to de-scent plastic with vinegar.

I found this tutorial: http://www.ehow.com/how_5565782_remove-smoke-smell-plastic.html

I currently have a Peachy soaking in a Tupperware full of the water and vinegar solution. I popped off her head so the vinegar could work inside too. Hopefully it helps! If it does, I will try it on the other ponies. I know ponies and liquid submersion can cause rust, but since it's summer I figure drying her out fully should be easy. It's better to smell like salad than tar, and the article says the vinegar smell fades over time. I will keep you posted on how it goes!

Have any of you guys tried similar methods, or other liquid solutions to destroy pony smells?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 05:33:49 PM by Purpleglasses »

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: vinegar for fixing stinky ponies?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 05:42:44 PM »
I use vingear and soak them for a few days i throw in baking soda to after a few day, mostly cause i like to see the reaction :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 05:55:08 PM »
I've heard of people using kitty litter and baking soda.

My daughter's Chief came to me with a horrible cigarette smell and evilbunnyfoofoo suggested wrapping them in dryer sheets. It worked with a combination of that and air drying him out.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 05:57:48 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 05:56:55 PM »
I left a stinky g3 bait in the solution for a few weeks in my laundry as an experiment while I was on holiday. When I came back, she didn't smell smoky anymore, but she was mouldy, and the glittery-ness of her plastic had faded on the side that was in the water. Getting the mould out of her mane wasn't gonna happen. I binned her.

It works, but watch colour fade, especially the shimmer effect on g3's, and maybe keep them submerged to avoid mould? I left mine floating for a before/after comparison, and it was pretty obvious she'd faded. But she was only intended as an experiment, and the pony would most likely have been donated or binned anyway had it succeeded, she was in super rough shape!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Purpleglasses

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 06:51:43 PM »
Thanks for the tips on mold! The tutorial said to rinse the toys after a day, so my plan is to check her and rinse tomorrow. If more soaking is needed it can be on a day to day basis! I tried to make sure she was fully submerged.

Peachy's just a regular G1 so hopefully her plastic doesn't lose its sheen or fade. I mean she isn't pearly. We shall see. A lot of the ponies in the stinky batch have glitter cutie marks, should I avoid soaking them? One has one of those magic rubbing image cutie marks, I doubt it would survive a soak. Probably gonna leave her in litter and hope for the best.

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 06:17:03 PM »
I soaked a bunch of stinky, mouldy ponies in vinegar overnight once and it seemed to work pretty well. Not sure about how it works with other smells though??

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 10:18:35 AM »
The first pony I bought when I started collecting again two years ago was Posey. And she arrived reeking of cigarette smoke. I did absolutely nothing with her - just left her out to air near an open window, but not in the sun. No trace is left of the smell for a long time now and she is in the display cabinet with my herd.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 09:51:40 PM »
I'd avoid vinegar for glitter and other delicate symbols. For the magic symbols, I'd just air them out.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Purpleglasses

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 09:33:57 PM »
Thanks guys! I'm sorry to say that after a few days in vinegar she kind of smells like a nicotine salad. Not much improvement.

I've heard oxi clean baths are good for removing stink, have any of you guys tried that? I know that's also not great for glitter.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 12:51:47 PM »
I've oxi cleaned some ponies. Don't leave them after they have had a soak because two of them reek. Wash them out when they've finished soaking.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal